Help! Sick and fading kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Oh no. Please try to get the kitten looked at. It may need more help than what you are doing. Maybe hold the kitten so it's head is up the highest. That way the fluids drain better out if his nose. I wonder if the vet can give sub fluids to help flush this cold virus out sooner. Antibiotics may be needed as well. The kitten may be fighting against eating because of hard time breathing. Keep up the good work. Keep us posted. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did talk to the shelter's vet about it earlier today. We were given clavamox and clindamycin. That along with supplementing with formula is all the vet told us we could do. He is luckily not dehydrated and has clear urine, so the vet didn't give him fluids. I know not all of them can be saved, but just hoping this little guy can make it[emoji]127995[/emoji].

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm saying a prayer for you and your little One. Sometimes it amazing how they have the will and fight to live! He sounds like a survivor.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm reading this for the first time.

Great job with these little angels.

I don't have much to add except that I had to give Clindamycin to my wee one and he hated it, so out of curiosity I put a drop on my tongue and man, it tastes horrible.  Don't be surprised if they give you a little fight.

Best of luck.  Thank goodness they have you.

Following with great interest. 

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the sick kitten did survive the night, but he's not doing well. I got up every hour and a half to try and feed him, but halfway through the night he just wouldn't eat, no matter how long I spent dripping formula into his mouth. He would sneeze up the formula through his nose and I had to stop and make sure none got in his lungs. He is eating close to nothing and refuses to nurse. He is also at 127 grams. He lost six grams in the last day.

I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it. He is extremely weak and feels cool, even though we have a heating pad underneath the towels in the nesting box. He won't sleep in the kitten pile and I constantly find him sitting on the outside edge of the box. He is tiny compared to his sisters and his breathing seems shallow.

I believe he will pass within the next few hours, but I will still try my hardest to see if he will eat and try to keep him warm. I just don't want him to suffer. Thank you all for the support[emoji]10084[/emoji]️.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lacy2000 lacy2000

Is he on the meds? It sounds like he's hanging in there. He needs to stay hydrated though. Can you give him drops of clear pedialyte?

If you have none, give him water with a pinch of salt and sugar mixed in.

Last edited:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lacy2000 lacy2000

Is he on the meds? It sounds like he's hanging in there. He needs to stay hydrated though. Can you give him drops of clear pedialyte?

If you have none, give him water with a pinch of salt and sugar mixed in.
Thanks I'll definitely try that!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the kitten passed away last night. His ending weight was 123 grams and there was just no way he was going to make it.

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice and support. You helped me help him have a peaceful death.[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

I will still be giving updates on the three remaining kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. We do want to hear updates on the others.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. This must be heartbreaking for you. It's never easy to lose a family member or friend. RIP little one.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it. I'm glad we were able to at least help with moral support. ; (

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
lacy2000 lacy2000 We are so very sorry for your loss.

It you would like to post in our Crossing The Bridge forum in memory of your little one please feel free to do that.
We'll discontinue this thread now and look forward to hearing about the other kittens in another thread.

**** RIP Little One ****

Status
Not open for further replies.