Help settle a family debate?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What this shows is the amazing variety of points of view. I see absolutely no resemblance to each other in those photos at all. I am usually very quick to notice details such as likenesses and similarities, and am good at those "pete and repete" children's puzzles and it astounds me that people say they do see any resemblance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allroundthesun

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Is the debate settled?
I'm starting to think it will forever remain a matter of disagreement! As you can see in this thread, there's just no consensus.

FTR, that's my maternal grandmother in the top picture, and me in the lower one. The four parties in the perpetual debate are 1) my mum, who thinks I look exactly like her, 2) me, and I think I look quite a lot like her, though with some minor differences, 3) my maternal aunt, who thinks we have a vague resemblance, and 4) my maternal grandmother herself, who sees absolutely no similarity - otto, she'd love your reply.

My grandmother's 27.9 in her photo, and I'm 26.6 in mine, so just over a year younger, but I tend to look a year or two younger than I am, usually. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of my grandmother after the age of seven but before her mid-forties; I wish I did have one that faced forward for comparison - now that would be an interesting addition to the debate!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes personalities are part of it. People who know you both and see similarities in personality or character will see physical resemblances too, especially if you have similar facial expressions.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't see a resemblance. Hard to tell from just a side-shot, but nose bridge is quite a bit different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allroundthesun

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Sometimes personalities are part of it. People who know you both and see similarities in personality or character will see physical resemblances too, especially if you have similar facial expressions.
Yeah, I think that's absolutely part of it. We have VERY similar personalities (unfortunately for me
), and apparently very similar speech patterns. We also apparently both do this same weird lip pursing thing when concentrating, or really fascinated by something, or annoyed
and a lot of my other facial expressions are apparently like hers. I say "apparently" a gazillion times there - need a thesaurus!
- because of course that's all lost on me besides the similar personalities, but those may be the things my mum and aunt are seeing and "reading" as similar appearances when pure appearance is actually a minor factor.

Also, we have the same colouring, very pale with dark blond hair (everyone else in the family - and on my father's side, too - has olive skin and dark hair; I'm the product of some seriously recessive genes, apparently), but my grandmother's photo is black and white and my hair is wet from swimming in mine, so darker than normal, and so that's kind of lost in the pictures as well.
So it's quite possible that having the same colouring - especially because we're the only two in the family with it, so it's notable - might also be throwing them.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Whatever. You're both beautiful!
Awww, that is such a kind thing to say, thank you!