Help!! Semi-feral Advice On Kitten Care And Motherly Behavior

Mzahnter.13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I'm doing this right because it is my first post!
So my boyfriends family lives on a farm and they have numerous farm cats around the house. I've successfully tamed two older cats, (they come to me and let me pick them up briefly but aren't completely tame). One of the adult cats who is a new mother just gave birth and when I walked into the barn I discovered the new born kitten just laying out in the open. The mother left it often but when she returned she was cleaning it and letting it feed. I was debating on whether to take it because I was worried she would leave it for too long and it would freeze or something would get it with it not being hidden. The other farm cats do a really good job of hiding their kittens so I felt this was strange and worried about neglect.

I took it to my house and then turned around and decided to take it back bc I didn't want it to die (only gone for 40 min or so) when I returned she took it and left it in the same spot wide out in the open and she didn't seem to mind me handling it. (It can't be older than 4 or 5 days). I left it there and came back in the morning and she was nursing it, then left it again so I picked it up and held it for a little bit but when I put it back she picked it up and put it in a hollow opening of a tree along with two older kittens from a different litter.

I worry about the kitten making it because of it not having warmth. Is this normal behavior or is she not giving it the warmth and attention it needs? I also worry because there is only one kitten so it doesn't have the rest of the litter for warmth. Should I just leave it in the tree and let her be? Any advice? I thought about trying to capture both mom and kitten and put it in my garage for a couple of weeks but didn't know if that would stress her out bc she isn't completely tame and not used to being in a home. I appreciate any and all responses!!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you received no replies to your thread.

What did you decide to do about this kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mzahnter.13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ended up taking the mother and the kitten and putting them in my basement. I supplement fed the kitten until it had gained some weight. Now it is about 7 weeks and doing great! She is sleeping beside me as I type:). Thank you for asking!