Help! Scooter has a cold!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jwheeler

We just got back from the vets. The whole visit only took about 5 minutes. He prescribed Scooter some liquid clavamox to take every 12 hours. I just gave him his first dose a few minutes ago. He said that it's probably a viral infection that came from our new cat that we adopted from the shelter a few weeks ago. He said that the timing was just right for that and that it is very, very common, especially with cats that come from shelters. For some reason, it hasn't affected our oldest cat, Bailey, which I am very grateful for! Hopefully this clavamox will help him clear this virus up! Has anyone ever had to give their cat clavamox before? Does it work well?
It doesn't surprise me any that your vet thinks Scooter may have picked something up from the shelter. As I mentioned before, I've had that happen to me several times after adopting a cat from the shelter.

The Clavamox is usually prescribed for a two-week period, and it works really well. You should notice a difference in Scooter within 24-48 hours. I'm glad you got him to the vet.

Regarding the changing of litter, the "dusty" kind can cause irritation. Sometimes I'll try a different brand w/o knowing it's dusty, and it causes irritation for both me & the cats. I always switch back to a non-dusty kind if there are any problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scooter actually woke up a little while ago and sneezed a few times and he sneezed a tiny bit of blood, but he did that before and I told the vet about it. It's probably just because he's been sneezing so incredibly much this past week. But, right after his bloody sneezes, he ate dry food on his own and then had a huge handful of treats (Greenies)! I think he's slowly improving!