help Schmoopy HATES!!! new cat

jeweed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi;

I have an older rescue Shmoopy, who has always hated everyone but, strangers (people not cats). None of my other cats go near her.  They give her a wide berth. She never forgets any "injustice"  she feels she has suffered. We love her and have always treated her well.  It took her 5 years before she wouldn't take a swing at us.  For example,  she was lets us pet her and decides she's had a enough (no warning).  Well, I brought in the latest and hopefully the last feral (One eye, now called Bear) that has been abandoned near our house. Now, that he is walking around and becoming familiar with everything he has taken a liking to Schmoopy.  She hates him more than any other being in our home.  She starts a blood curdeling SCREAM when she sees him.  This excites him (We got him neutered when I brought him in) and he runs to her. Unfortunately, the first time he was able to. He touched her before I could intervene.  This has made her even more angry and crazy.  He runs to her everytime the low growl begins. It is insane.  I have tried the feliway, no help. All the others are happy but, schmoopy won't get over This. I keep her seperated and carry her everywhere she wants to go, but if she sees him it all starts.  He follows and that makes her crazy.  She'll hurt me if I don't hurry and get her safe and put down.  But, there is Bear watching and she knows it and won't calm down.  Can anyone help me stop the madness.  I don't yell, I speak calmly to Bear and it stops him in his tracks, but she won't get over knowing that he is close. I tried rescue remedy today (forgot I had some) Help us please

Thanks;

Rose

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK was she a former feral as well?  If so, ferals have a different set of rules and language that other housecats have.  When you say she lets you pet her until she's had enough (no warning), I doubt this.  Cats are very good communicators and they let us know plainly and constantly how they feel or think.  You just have to know the signs.  Some signs of a cat that is overstimulated are- Ripples down the back spine; ears put back; tail swishing hard; tightening of the body muscles; they may even give you an irritated meow.  These are just the most common signs and they may or may not apply to her but these mean "Enough.  Back off.  I've had enough for now.  I'm going to bite you!"  In which case you just stop and let her be for awhile. 

Now with the new cat, did you just throw them in together or did you do a proper introduction?  With them being older, you would probably need to keep them separated for longer.  Especially since the new one is a former feral.  He would need time to adjust to his surroundings and you first, let alone all of your animals.  It is never a good idea to just throw them in together.  You are almost always asking for trouble.  Cats do not like change.  And with a grumpy alpha like Shmoopy, it is even more imperative that you give it time, take it slow and not expect too much too soon. 

How long did you wait after having him neutered to bring him in and let him roam free?  It takes a month or so for the hormones to leave his system so he probably interpreted her screams as mating calls and that's why he did what he did. 

You need to separate him and keep him separated for a week, probably more.   Try to do a positive reinforcement reintroduction and see if it helps.  Since she is grumpy with everyone else in the house, I wouldn't expect miracles.  But if you can get them to at least somewhat peacefully coexist, then call it a win.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeweed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi;

Very good advice but, Bear had his own room for almost two month's before he came out on his own.  He isn't agressive and he doesn't go after the others and if he does I simply call his name and he stops.  Schmoopy gives no warning at all.  She just lays there purring and just strikes out when she's had enough.  She purrs and rubs and without warning wham.  She was owned by other people not feral, but close.  I suspect they were cruel to her.  That is why we took her in. It has been almost three month's of Bear being alone in his room and just this past week Bear has started to explore the area's where Schmoopy hangs out.  The other's have learned to stay awayfrom Schmoopy and keep a wide berth.  Being new and curious Bear hasn't learned just t how much Schmoopy hatesother cats and everything except food, sleep and being petted when she asks for it.   We are never forceful with her she, is basically a mentally disturbed rescue.  We have always allowed her to do what she wants.  But, I can't stand the stress this seems to put on her and her anger is to be feared you can't pick her up when she sees him. We have always just let her get over what bugged her and moved on from there. But, these unexpected forays by Bear cause her to go wild.  I read about her possibly being "the matriarch" I can't see locking Bear up, he is a good soul very kind.  He just can't stand not being able to look at her and want to touch.  I know he will learn as the others to leave her alone. But, meanwhile she is too stressed.  I just need ways to calm her down.  I don't mind carrying her to whatever she wants and bringing her her food, etc. It's the stress and the total hatefulness that worries me. Time isn't being a good friend right now.

Rose