HELP! premature kitten and mom still preg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Any more babies yet? How is the first one doing. for a safe delivery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrysalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I thought that Tinkerbelle had more than ONE in there.... but she only had one.. It's a brown tabby,and is very tiny- midget kitten- but fully developed. Took it forever to find a nipple, even though we washed them off with baby shampoo to try and get the big kittens' scent off of them. I stayed up all night and went to sleep at like 7, and got back up at noon. Still no new ones.

While in labor, the older litter kept trying to come into the room and every time they sat outside the door meowing, Tinkerbelle tried to get up and go to them.

We did stop letting them nurse the other day.

Everyone seems ok.

chrysalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tinkerbelle had another one just a few minutes ago, It keeps opening its mouth really wide- I don't rememebr ever seeing a kittten do this before- is it normal?
It is begger than the tiny first one, looks dark with a white face,
Thanks for your help.. I've seen about 9 litters born and this is the strangest set yet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is the second one breathing all right? I think I've only seen kittens open their mouths really wide when they're yawning.

chrysalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

we are fine- it was ok, stronger than the last one- eating at the moment.
It's a gray and white tabby. CUTE!

shirley willes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou so much for these answers my mary aborted one kitten and she has another one inside her..its been 4 days..i was worried but your answers here helped me will what and see what happens and keep a close eye on her...i felt the kitten inside move..and heard it purring..it was awsome

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thankyou so much for these answers my mary aborted one kitten and she has another one inside her..its been 4 days..i was worried but your answers here helped me will what and see what happens and keep a close eye on her...i felt the kitten inside move..and heard it purring..it was awsome
Welcome Shirley Willies!  Im glad this old thread was helpful for you.

But now you want perhaps to start you own thread?  It will be easier to follow YOUR "case", and come with advices and comments, now and in the weeks to come.

Good luck!

nayla bond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

This is her third litter. My cat had one baby around 5:48pm. That baby seemed healthy, but was extremely small. We left and came back two hours later. She still had babies in her stomach! We sat down (with her beside us) and hadn't realized she had another kitten! I just happened to look and I told my mom. That second baby was two to three times the size of the first one and it was dead. We believe that it was stillborn. She had that second baby around 10:50pm to 11:20pm. She STILL has babies ( or a baby) inside of her. We don't feel any movement and are worried. There are no vets open at this hour so...we are kind of on our own. My mother says that if our cat can't get the others out in time (and if they are dead)....then she could die with those babies inside of her. If you could give me any advice or some other kind of information on cat birth....PLEASE let me know.

Thank you. (12:19am)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi Nayla!   As you saw in this thread, this situation happens now and then.  "Just swelling or a kitten left??"   Or even - we know there IS a kitten left...   The answer how hurry it is, is if the mom seems ok, calm, happily busying herself with that already delivered kittens - do observe, but you can wait.

If the mom is visibly in difficulties - you must contact a vet, and be ready to rush in.

Likewise, if the mom comes into labor and it is a long fruitless labor, say max 1 hour...   The labor of kitten nr 1 may be several hours, the labor of following kittens shall be shorter.

So my advice for you is, if she seems OK, you can wait till the vet open. But when the vet opens, do contact your vet and hear his advice.   With such a very big, deformed kitten, the mom may need some vet attention, even if it is not hurry with the last kitten, or it is just swellings.  So be prepared to take her in.

Your mom has right, if there is a dead kitten inside, and it dont goes out by itself, a vet must help you. It is usually not crash emergency hanging on hours, but must be done very soon before they decay and rotten.

So, contact your vet as soon as he opens.  If it takes long to open- phone at least, otherwise you should take her to the emergency vet anyway.

I hope my answer helped you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.