HELP: Pregnant stray

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I'm antsy! I'm checking in here several times a day to see if anyone's kitty has popped first!! I have a feeling that ALL OF YOU are going to go before me!
hehehe

pjdefischer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by theallis5

I know I'm antsy! I'm checking in here several times a day to see if anyone's kitty has popped first!! I have a feeling that ALL OF YOU are going to go before me!
hehehe
Me too! I must be behind your kitties, because bunnys milk hasn't come in yet. She is definitely laying around and following me room to room, but she has been doing that for a couple of weeks now. When she is awake, she bathing herself, I am waiting, waiting, waiting, too! For everyones kittens to come! I am so stressed out because I have to leave town overnight next Wednesday to take my son to a doctor appt, I don't want her to be alone when she delivers, because I know my husband won't give her the attention I would! I hope she either has them before I leave or after I get back.... Kittens are active and she is huge... Poor girl, I remember being that miserably pregnant!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rotobay!
I can easily wait because I have no intention of letting her outside again. All of my kitties are indoor kitties.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

Thanks Rotobay!
I can easily wait because I have no intention of letting her outside again. All of my kitties are indoor kitties.
Not to hijack the thread, but no, you can't wait. She needs to be spayed as soon as possible. Un-spayed indoor-only cats have an amazing way of getting outside to satisfy their biological urge to procreate.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Not to hijack the thread, but no, you can't wait. She needs to be spayed as soon as possible. Un-spayed indoor-only cats have an amazing way of getting outside to satisfy their biological urge to procreate.
Sakura, not to worry!
I believe GayleMG has mentioned (in a different thread) that she would like to spay/neuter all of them.

I think that her question here was about when to vaccinate the mama cat. GayleMG was getting antsy and wanted to take mama cat to the vet to check that the pregnancy was progressing normally, she then decided to let mama cat be and take her to the vet when she actually needed something, like her shots. She wanted to know when she could take mama cat to be vaccinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I should point out that waiting to spay a momma cat until after the kittens are weaned is my vet's policy. There may be other vets who think it's fine to spay earlier, but mine does not (his definition of 'as soon as possilbe' is 12 weeks after delivery).

Same with the shots....my vet won't give them during pregnancy and wants to wait until after the kittens are weaned. But other vets may have a different philosophy on that as well.

But now Sakura's got me thinking. Isn't there some way to keep a cat from getting pregnant during this waiting period (aside from forced abstinence)? Condoms are probably out of the question
, but what about cat birth control pills or something??

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiya, just wanted to say, i know your kitty is more of an outdoor then an indoor cat (just been reading through the thread) but when she has the kittens she should be kept inside at all times, at least untill the kittens can have there first shots ideally second shots. the reason for this is many reasons, including worms, flees, cat flu, and many other reasons also including the mother getting lost of hurt then you will have 4+ kittens to hand rear.
I know it will be hard i'v been there, but its in both the mums and babys intrests.
thank you for caring so much to take her in and give her the care she needed. and i hope things go smoothly with the birth and healthy kittens.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Sakura, not to worry!
I believe GayleMG has mentioned (in a different thread) that she would like to spay/neuter all of them.

I think that her question here was about when to vaccinate the mama cat. GayleMG was getting antsy and wanted to take mama cat to the vet to check that the pregnancy was progressing normally, she then decided to let mama cat be and take her to the vet when she actually needed something, like her shots. She wanted to know when she could take mama cat to be vaccinated.
Yes, that was my question in that post. I wanted to know when vaccinations would be OK for a pregnant cat. My momcat and kittens will all be spayed/neutered as soon as it is safe to do so.