Help Plz

yelpot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I really need some help. I have 2 cats. Pepa just came in Oct of last. Her and my male cat have been the best of friends, playing and everything. Yesterday I took both cats to the groomers, pepa just had he nails cut and came home with me. Milo stayed to be groomed and bathed. Ever since we got home pepa is acting like she doesn't know him. She is hissing and being terribly mean to him. She is also very cautious with us as well

Can someone provide any insite to this. My heart is broken they were such good friends and Milo doesn't understand

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not uncommon when one cat is taken somewhere and has something done. My 4 get along great, but my youngest had his vet visit this week. Both girls hissed at him and smacked him a few times that day. They were over it the next day. I know its because he smelled different, like the vet.

Your Milo had a bath, so Pepa is not recognizing his scent right now. A few days and he will smell like Milo, pepa, you and your home. Then everything should be fine again. Cats have a group smell, like themselves, each other, their humans and home. When something disrupts that smell, such as a bath at the groomer it can take a few days before other cats in the home accept them back in the group.

Good luck, hopefully they will be back to normal very soon.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond beat me to it. Its called nonrecognition aggression. Cats recognize each other mainly by smell. If you have a favorite blanket of his that you can rub him with, might help. If it gets bad, you might have to do a new introduction, treat them like strangers meeting for the first time, but as Duckpond says, a little time should do the trick.

Maybe don't get them groomed again, since a repeat could be likely, but if you do, follow the steps listed in the article link below:

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yelpot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
duckpond duckpond beat me to it. Its called nonrecognition aggression. Cats recognize each other mainly by smell. If you have a favorite blanket of his that you can rub him with, might help. If it gets bad, you might have to do a new introduction, treat them like strangers meeting for the first time, but as Duckpond says, a little time should do the trick.

Maybe don't get them groomed again, but if you do, a little scent planning might help. Even if you avoid the groomer, your probably at high risk for a repeat if there is a non-routine vet visit (surgery, overnight, etc). I believe scent planning is covered in the article link below:

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Thank you so much . I feel so bad . Milo goes once a year. Wish me luck. I just those two.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys do this when ever i take one to the vet. mine are all scheduled for their yearly visit this month. so.... :sigh: thankfully it only last a few hours, or at most over night for my guys. Then they smell normal again

yelpot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guys do this when ever i take one to the vet. mine are all scheduled for their yearly visit this month. so.... :sigh: thankfully it only last a few hours, or at most over night for my guys. Then they smell normal again
We are now at

yelpot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are at day 4 and they still are not friebds. Milo has tried to play and she is being mean. Does anyone know how long this will take? I have petted Milo and used the same hand to pet her.

Any suggestions? Does she need more time?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they aren't actually fighting (hurting each other), they probably just need a bit more time. If they are fighting, you might need to treat them like stranger cats and do a reintroduction. Once they start actual fighting, any residual memories of friendship have little hope of overcoming the more recent memories of fighting without help.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some cats are just slow with things. maybe take a soft cloth, rub her down really well with it, especially around the face, cheeks, then rub milo really well with it, then her, then him. Really get their scent all over each other?