Help please

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My lovely little lady Lucy went into labour early hours whilst I was sleeping. I woke to 1 beautiful alive kitty. I monitored for the rest of the morning afternoon and after seeing kitten cleaned and feeding and settled I had to pop out.
She gave birth in my young children's bedroom so I moved the drawer into our room. At 5 this evening (first kitten born at 5am approx) she gave birth again to a beautiful angel kitty. This kitty was sadly deceased and mummy cleaned it but laid down for the alive one to continue feeding. We tried our best to revive little guy but he didn't make it. 20 minutes later she has given birth to another alive feeding kitty.
My questions are can she still continue to have more
How do I know they are getting enough milk from mum they seem to be constantly attached suckling.
The kitten that passed was so big could that be why he didn't survive and the large gap between birth?
Mummy cat seems fine she is doing everything she should be .
I have done everything I know she is on kitten food and been vet checked throughout, I am not irresponsible and I love my Lucy. The problem is its late and a Sunday and I hoped someone kind may help lesson my panic. Mummy seems content and she hasn't left her babies. Thank you so much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It happens occasionally that there is a beautiful stillborn, resulting in much sadness all around. Often it is simply the result of Mother Nature. Either there is a birth defect, or the kitten has been too long in the birth canal. Most times we grieve, but never know the answer.

Rejoice in her live kittens, and bury the deceased after mom has realized it is so. It is through no fault of your own, but is the way of the world.

Make sure the little ones are nursing well, and keep watch over mom. Feed her well through her nursing days.

We would love to see pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are the two beautiful babies. One of them is a little greedy one and the other seems to struggle a bit. I've encouraged the kitten guided nipples. How do I know he is getting enough nutrition. The other one is guzzling away and then sleeps a bit then guzzlers away and he looks like he has a full tummy. The other one not so much. Any help is greatly appreciatEd thank you so much x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Weighing the kittens with a kitchen scale at the same time daily using grams is the best way to track gains. Kittens should gain 6-10 grams daily minimum each.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing the kittens daily is the best way to know that they are thriving. Do you have a small scale that weighs in grams?

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The boy (guess) weighed 145g and the girl (guess) weighed 120g. Is that healthy? Xx thank you

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so good to know. Mummy cat is starving but doesn't want to leave her babies. Is it OK to put a plate near her so she doesn't have to move too much?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so good to know. Mummy cat is starving but doesn't want to leave her babies. Is it OK to put a plate near her so she doesn't have to move too much?
Yes! Mom should have food, water, and litter box all nearby.

Can you keep her inside and away from intact males until the kittens wean? Do you plan to spay after this litter?

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew to leave in same room I did that all ready I just mean move it closer to where she is laying so she doesn't have to move too much from her laying position. She has got up and used her litter tray.

Lucy is mostly an indoor cat. In the 2 years ive had her she only would only normally sit on my step if i had the front door open whilst getting say groceries from the car. She is a nervous little lady She got jumped on by a male when she followed me to my car one morning. I know the exact day it happened. Obviously there wasnt much i could do. I was so upset. She hasn't ventured outside her whole pregnancy and I won't allow her to now until the vet spays her.
I will be keeping my two kitties and they will be loved and cared for.
When the vet confirmed her pregnancy I put her on kitten food and I bought everything from sterile gloves to an aspurtaor to kitten replacement milk bottles and teats just in case. I spoke to the vet and got mummy the correct and safe wormer and flea treatments to be on the absolute safe side. I'm really trying my best
Thank you for all your help I'm so grateful

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can feed her right in the nest. I did with my queen as she did not get up for 12 hours after delivering. She gobbled it right up!

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We did that just now with Lucy she didn't hesitate and was happy laying there eating while her babies continue to suckle. Such a good mummy.
I feel so emotional x

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We did that just now with Lucy she didn't hesitate and was happy laying there eating while her babies continue to suckle. Such a good mummy.
I feel so emotional x
That's great! Sounds like the family is doing well. I would recommend that you be careful about leaving the dish in the nest just so babies don't get into it/bump into the hard dish.

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved it back a bit. She has the whole of my bottom triple wardrobe (no doors on). Thank you x
So when should I weigh the little one again to make sure it's gaining 12 hours or 24 x

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it typical for mummy to want a break? I just went in the room to check and she came out of the nest and is now sitting downstairs. Kittens are sleeping. Will she go back up in a bit?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, moms take breaks often when the kittens sleep. She will go back when she hears them cry.

Weigh every 24 hours.

vkneller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much.
Is it normal for mummy to have loose stool. She made it to the litter tray ok. Very runny and brown colour no blood that I could see. She buried it had a clean and has gone back up.
Sorry for all the questions x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Questions are welcome! It's probably from eating the placentas. That can cause diarrhea. It should clear up soon.