Help please

kitterick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat is on had 2nd litter but she's not producing enough milk this time. What can I give her that might help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My Cat is on had 2nd litter but she's not producing enough milk this time. What can I give her that might help
What are you supplementing the kittens with?  Do you have access to any good kmr - kitten mothermilk replacement, - or goat milk?

Supplementing kittens is here almost surely a must, begin with this.

Also, monitor closely if they gain weigh.  Ie weigh them on a scale every day.

Be sure momma gets enough with water - also calcium rich food.

Good food, easiest with such labelled of of kitten-type, or at least "for active cats"  wet canned is almost always good.

Depends a little on what you are NOW giving her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree that you need to help feed the kittens immediately. Get powdered kmr and a needleless syringe. You feed them belly down, head slightly up, and one drop at a time into the check. Kitten and food must be warm in order for them to digest. They will need to be fed every two hours at this age.

Please consider getting mom spayed after this litter. If her milk doesn't come in she can be spayed in three weeks or so. If it does, she can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Do not let her outside or around any intact males until then - cats can get pregnant within a week of delivery and don't have to go into heat to do so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you giving mom wet food several times a day? She needs it, and dry kitten chow 24/7 while nursing. How many kittens and when were they born? Have you weighed them to see if they are gaining 6-10 grams, or a half ounce, per day? Supplementing is in order if they are not growing or crying in hunger.