Help please.

caroline brooks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice please?

My cat has been ill in the last week, it started with vomiting once and then diarrohea which started last sunday. We took him to the vets on tues as he wasnt better. The vet gave him an anti sickness injection, an anti inflammitory injection a painkiller and some prebiotic. she said he was very uncomfortable in the top part of his tummy. We gave him water and a rehydration sachet and didnt feed him until the next day. we then fed him on white fish until friday when he seemed completely back to normal with normal bowel movements. on friday I let him out  and fed him normally ( biscuit and wet food at dinner time ) when he was back in the house in the evening he was suffering from diarrohea. I dont know if its something outside or whether I started him on normal food too quickly. I have also noticed that in the last week has has lost alot of fur( the texture of his fur has become dry aswell) and over the last month he has lost  5 whiskers.  I have kept him in since friday evening and I phoned the vet saturday he suggested I starve him for the day and then introduce the white fish which I have done and his bowel movements have returned to normal. I'm not sure whether I should take him back to the vets and i'm hesitant to let him out. He is upto date with his flea and worm treatment and his jabs. Can anyone give me some advice please. Thankyou .

Caroline

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like his normal food isn't agreeing with him.  I would try a simple wet food in a different protein.  By simple I mean as close to just the meat, liver and supplements as you can get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caroline brooks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am quite happy to try that but i havent  changed his food at all from what he has had before. so do you think he has just become sensitive ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he could have become sensitive.  I have a kitty who has just developed a chicken allergy and he is 10 years old.  Actually that is one of the good points about feeding different proteins kitties are less likely to develop a sensitivity.  My kitty also has IBD and can't tolerate beef, didn't want to feed a lot of fish so I was pretty much feeding chicken exclusively.  His showed up as a yeast infection in his ears, probably because he is on a steroid to control his IBD symptoms.