Help please...

fostermummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 kittens are now coming up for 7 weeks and they are just beautiful, all different personalities and cute as buttons

At 4 weeks old they were all using the little kitten litter tray that I bought them and I was so pleased that they had taken to it straight away and never was there an accident on my carpet.... until now

My cat (Melissa) is being so naughty, she has stopped using her own covered litter tray that she has always used happily and started using their little tray and kicking all the litter everywhere. Since then the kittens are doing most of their toilets (wee only) outside their tray on my carpet daily. I watched one of them yesterday, she had a poop in the tray and then got out to have a wee next to it on the carpet! I had newspaper down but they are tearing it up and making such a mess everywhere. I really dont know what to do? I cant stop Melissa from using their tray and she wont use her normal tray anymore it seems. The kittens were perfectly trained and now they are not. I have since bought another higher walled tray for them to try and stop the litter from going everywhere but the cat is teaching the kittens to kick it all out

As soon as they are weaned I will be getting Melissa spayed and 2 of the kittens will be going to new homes. I know this will make things alot easier and Melissa will be able to go outside again which will help alot. But I have 3 weeks of this left so can anyone suggest anything to help??

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Melissa seems to be the problem. IMO there is no way to fix this other than to keep her away, yet I know you don't want to seperate them. But, it sure would be a shame if the babies develop the habit and inhibit their ability to find good homes.

I would let them together for short periods with no litter box. therefore not letting her show them bad manners.

Honestly, I can't think of anyother way....I hope someone comes along with more info.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the kitten tray in storage and get a regular one. Even though you will be 2 less cats in 3 weeks you still need to get another one (at least).
I am not sure that Melissa is actually teaching the kittens to urinate outside the box. Perhaps the kittens do not like using the same tray as Melissa.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You just need more litter pans and you need to keep them clean and with enough litter in them to matter. Usually when a cat is kicking litter everywhere, there isn't enough cat litter in there, or the box is starting to smell. You may not smell it, but they can. She isn't being "naughty" she is being a cat. She is covering their smell with hers- after all, it's HER house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, you could say that she's being a good momma, trying to teach her babies how to use a litterbox.

At 7 weeks, the kittens are old enough to use a regular-size litterbox, with deeper litter. They may not like how shallow the litter is, maybe they're getting pee on their feet when they go. Try putting a big litterbox next to the baby-sized pan, and see how they take to it.

dorothyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You just need more litter pans and you need to keep them clean and with enough litter in them to matter. Usually when a cat is kicking litter everywhere, there isn't enough cat litter in there, or the box is starting to smell. You may not smell it, but they can. She isn't being "naughty" she is being a cat. She is covering their smell with hers- after all, it's HER house.
Yup. She's protecting her young from predators. (Even though there aren't any predators in your house, her instinct tells her there are.) Good Mom.