Help Please! What Can I Mix Clavamox With?

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My 10 year old male tuxedo cat named Boogie, stayed overnight at the vets for two nights last week due to constipation and gulping issues. They gave him a couple enemas each day, and of course he never gulped once while there, but they did take xrays of his throat and did not see any blockages or anything abnormal.

I’m wondering what you all think, if the gulping could have been related to his constipation?

He was gulping for a couple months (we actually thought he was hiccuping), and the constipation started a couple weeks ago. This was his 2nd major bout with constipation. The first time was in the summer of 2017 and he went thru the same thing, with staying at the vets for two nights for enemas. Vet says he does not have megacolon.

His vet said to give him 5mg of pepcid by mouth, daily, to see if it clears up. He has not done it once since being home, either. The vet seems to think it was acid reflux. When I asked her what she thought, if the gulping was related to the constipation, she pretty much said there’s no way to know for sure.

The vet put him on liquid Lactulose to keep his stools soft, and liquid Clavamox (antibiotic), which he hates.

I am having a very difficult time getting the Clavamox in him. I hold his jowels with one hand on top of his head, put the syringe in the side of his mouth and it all dribbles out.

I tried giving him just plain Greek yogurt, hoping he would eat it, then I was planning to mix the Clavamox in it, but since he did not touch the plain yogurt, I know he won’t eat it with the Clavamox mixed in. He does not like pumpkin, as I tried that a couple times in the past.

What else can I try? I do have some Gerber baby food here for when I watch my niece.
Please see attached photo.
Are all or any of these good to use, to mix his Clavamox in?
Or do you have any other ideas? I will go back to Walmart tomorrow if I can not use any of the baby foods as shown in my attached photo.
TIA
Terri

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of those baby foods are good to give to a cat. Cats don't need fruit or veggies. Use only meat based no onion or garlic baby foods like the ones in this post: My Cat May Need Surgery

Ask the vet if the Clavamox is available as a pill or cam be compounded into another form like a chewable treat.

Have you tried mixing the Clavamox into canned cat food?

What do you normally feed your cat? Dry food can cause constipation in many cats.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beech Nut baby food stage 1 with just turkey or chicken has been a godsend every time my babies have tummy issues. I'd also recommend seeing if you can get a pill form tho and crushing it up into the baby food or some delicious smelling canned food (do they like the water out of a can of tuna in water? My cats go nuts for that, even when they're ill). I think the liquid forms of all meds just smell so nasty and the kitties smell it worse than we do.

Hang in there and I hope the meds work soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of those baby foods are good to give to a cat. Cats don't need fruit or veggies. Use only meat based no onion or garlic baby foods like the ones in this post: My Cat May Need Surgery

Ask the vet if the Clavamox is available as a pill or cam be compounded into another form like a chewable treat.

Have you tried mixing the Clavamox into canned cat food?

What do you normally feed your cat? Dry food can cause constipation in many cats.
Thank you so much!

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beech Nut baby food stage 1 with just turkey or chicken has been a godsend every time my babies have tummy issues. I'd also recommend seeing if you can get a pill form tho and crushing it up into the baby food or some delicious smelling canned food (do they like the water out of a can of tuna in water? My cats go nuts for that, even when they're ill). I think the liquid forms of all meds just smell so nasty and the kitties smell it worse than we do.

Hang in there and I hope the meds work soon!
Thank you so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him wet food or dry food or a combination? If he's having constipation issues, try increasing his wet food consumption and add in some plain canned pumpkin puree. Decrease the dry food as that tends to draw moisture from the body, making stools firm and harder to pass.

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We stopped giving him, as well as our other 5 cats, dry food in 2017.
Wet food only for all.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just FYI, Clavamox doesn't set well with many kitty tummies. You might ask the vet for a different med that can either be compounded into a treat or a pill.