Help please so confused right now

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all I am unsure if my new cat is pregnant and would love some opinions from more experienced cat people. Long story short I brought my new cat in 7 weeks ago since there was a bad storm coming to our area and she has been hanging around our house outside for over a year now, someone dumped her. Well everything was good up until 3 or 4 weeks ago when I noticed her stomach was getting round, figured it was from being feed and not having to hunt for food but it's still growing and is very round now other than when she laying down then it seams to flatten out a bit but still has a bump there. Also last couple days I've noticed her back nipples are fuller feeling and saggy now. Is she just cat or could she be pregnant?
Thank you in advance for any help!
Pictures to follow shortly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you for replying, I am unsure if she is fixed or not I am not even sure how old she is currently. She has been around for a while so I'm sure she's at least 2 if not older. Hopefully I'll find out for sure soon. I haven't felt any movement or anything inside her stomach other than a hard lump that will disappear when I touch her sromach occashionally.

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once you see or feel kitten movement, there is usually 2-3 weeks left.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you brought her in 7 weeks ago, she'll either have babies within 2 weeks or she isn't pregnant ;)---cats are pregnant for 9 weeks. I once brought in a cat who I thought was pregnant; very round tummy, thought I could feel bumps. But 9 weeks later and no babies. So I had her spayed. She always had that round tummy her whole life.

So give it a couple weeks and if no kittens by then you can get her spayed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cat pregnancies can frequently extend into the 10th week, with gestation lasting 68-70 days in some cases. Since you are not quite sure when she mated, or exactly when you noticed her belly getting round, you'll need to look for kitten movement. She may also be putting on weight.

Does she groom excessively and lick around her nipples? Most pregnant cats begin this behavior the final couple of weeks.

Your other option is to see a vet. An x-ray or ultrasound will reveal if she is carrying kittens. If she is not, she should be spayed.

The other concern is a uterine infection, called pyometra, which can look like pregnancy. A vet visit can distinguish between the two.

Last edited:

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you for the replies I will see if I notice any movements and wait another 2 weeks and then if no kittens it's off to be fixed, since we have let her in the house she has no desire to go outside even with the door open so if she is pregnant it happened at least 7 weeks ago. Thank you again for all the help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a current picture of her standing that is taken from above?

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try soon she's been sleeping most of the day and I haven't been able to get one of her yet.

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Her stomach isn't so much round today as it has started hanging down more, still a little round towards the top though when she stands still but of course I couldn't get a picture of her standing still. Could this mean she's just fat and not pregnant? Also her stomach is still very firm and not soft a squishy like I would think it would be if it was her just being fat... This is why I'm so confused, just wish kitty could talk sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I said, a vet can answer the question. Can you see a vet?

bina91010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't be able to this week since most of the bills are due, I will try calling around and see if I can get her in next week though. Just wasn't sure if anyone else had the same experience... Maybe she has a small litter? I'm not sure but I will see about taking her in.