Help Please: Novice Seeks help With Shelter Cat

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've just adopted a shelter cat, and I have some questions about the cat's behavioiur.

I'll tell you about both the cat and I, so that you can help me to modify any of my behavior that might be contributing to our problems.

I brought it home two days ago. I'm a guy, and live alone in a 2100' house. The cat has free access to everything but the master closet and back bedrooms (I keep the doors closed to reduce heat/air costs). The flooring in that part of the house that the cat can get to is entirely tile and wood. I placed a litter box in the laundry room, and food/water bowls in the kitchen. I left her in the laundry room while I was at work on day two but, when I came home, I found her crouched down in the litter box (it's the type with a roof) as though she was frightened. I was worried that the confinement may have bothered her, so today I left her out, and she had the run of the house. I can tell she did some exploring.

I haven't had a cat since I was a kid, but I've spoken of adoption with friends that are cat lovers, and have considered adoption for 6 months or so. I'm definitely a novice.

I'd rather have a dog, but a cat is more appropriate at the moment. I have no other pets.

BTW, I understand the differences between cats and dogs. I have different expectations of a cat than I would of a dog. I'm looking for a companion that has minimal potential for destruction, is at least occasionally affectionate, and somewhat animated (which must be weighed against the potential for destruction that animation can create). I'd like a mellow cat, one that likes to play and hang-out on occasion, but I understand that cat's are generally much more independant than dogs. I accept that a cat will follow it's own timetable: it will hang out when it wants to, and then might wander off to do it's own thing for awhile. No problem with that.

On to the cat: It was in the shelter for quite some time, at least since January of this year. I found out accidentally that it had been adopted beginnning in early February of this year (I found the adoption paperwork among the documentation the shelter gave me). The folks at the shelter didn't mention the adoption, or the reason for the return. I'm a bit bothered by that, and wonder if they were trying to hide something, but it's a reputeable place and I think they would do their best to be honest about a potential pet. One person at the shelter told me it was about 18 months old but the paperwork specifies 4 years.

The Good:

It's a very nice and sweet-tempered cat: it doesn't bite or nip at all. It's a female, and has been spayed and declawed (it came declawed from the shelter). It loves to sit on my lap or chest while being petted and is content to stay for as long as I'm sitting/reclining, purring away all the while. Her coat appears to be in good shape: it's not ragged at all. She took to the litterbox right away and has used it exclusively. She seems to be eating fine, although I'm not sure how much a cat should be eating. She is definitely eating regularly, as her stool attests (I'm trying to keep the litterbox as clean as possible so she will feel comfortable using it). She also jumps up on the bed at night and sleeps next to me, and is there in the morning when I awake.

The (Possible) Mistakes:

I made two, both right away:

First, I decided I didn't want her to lay on the couch. She almost immediately did so, while I was sitting in my chair watching TV. I had a spray bottle ready, and gave her a small spray while firmly, but not loudly, saying "no!", It took three or four iterations (the last time I merely said "No!" while reaching for the bottle and she jetted off to the bedroom). I don't believe that she has been back on the couch, at least not while I've been home.

Second, she has a curious habit of standing on my chest and poking her head into my face while I pet her. I didn't care for the behaviour, so I began to say firmly, but not loudly, "No!" when she did it. I also stopped petting her for 30-60 seconds. I'm concerned that this has somehow bothered her, so I've stopped.

Now the problems:

Keep in mind that the following describes her behaviour after I made the mistakes I mentioned above. I wasn't really around her long enough to establish just what her intial behaviour patterns were. Yes, I've put the water bottle away: I'm not convinced, as some here preach, that a spraying is inapproprite for every cat, but I do suspect that the spray bottle somehow traumatized my cat. If so, I won't use it on her again.

When she is laying on me she seems supremely content, and does not attempt to move away, however she seems afraid of me when I try to collect her to put her somewhere, or even when I'm walking around the house. She lays on top of the bed and only seems to come out of the bedroom to go to the litterbox or the food bowl. She doesn't even come out when I return home after being gone all day. I thought that I'd try to enliven her so I put her in the living room and shut the bedroom door. That might have been another mistake: she didn't want to be in the living room, or anwhere else out in the open, I suppose: she found the tightest cracks to fit into, and stayed there. Keep in mind that the floors are tile and hardwood, relatively undesireable by cat standards. When I finally went to collect her, to remind her of where some padding was (I bought her a pillow and put it in the Living Room) she ran away from me. I finally caught her, and was as gentle as I could be, but it seemed that she was fairly frightened. She mewled a bit, like a kitten. I gave up and opened the door to the bedroom and put her back on the bed, where she has been ever since. I mean that literally: besides the afore-mentioned litterbox/food/water visits, she hasn't left the bed. What's so incongruous is that she will run away from me and will seem frightened when I finally collect her (which I can understand) but will immediately revert to a perfectly contented animal if I sit down with her and begin to pet her. What is she afraid of? How can she be so afraid one second and perfectly content the next, all becuase of the same person?

Another oddity: if I approach her while she's laying on the bed she seems fine. She doesn't try to run away.

Here are some other behaviours:

When being petted she almost always 'kneads' with her front paws. It almost reminds me of a nervous habit, but she's purring, and seems completely content, and makes absolutely no attempt to move away. If I stop petting her she actually nudges/rubs to get it started again.

She hasn't jumped up onto things much, beyond the intial exploration of the house, which she really seemed to enjoy. She seems healthy to me, but there are some rough spots on her skin, beneather her coat. I have no idea what they are, but I can tell that her skin isn't completely smooth, although whatever it is doesn't seem to affect her coat in that area.

She's only really meowed once, although she purrs all the time during petting, and occasinally mewls. For instance, I heard her walking from the bedroom to the litterbox while writing this in the study. I called to her and she mewled and went right back to the bedroom.

She doesn't seem playfull at all, not even with one of those catnip toys. She will bat at my hand when I put it under the covers and grab at her paw, but I'm not sure if that's playing or if she's irritated, and I don't want to stress her, so I've stopped doing that.

I attribute some of these issues to the stress of her time at the shelter and the newness of her surroundings and me. Perhaps that's the cause of all of these issues? Maybe she'll be fine in a week or so, and all I need to do is leave her alone and let her find her own way (which is what I'm doing now)

BTW, she had her battery of shots in January.

I really want to keep this cat. I hope that you can help the two of us out.

Thanks

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a cat.

It sounds like you really care for her, and you are trying hard to make your relationship work, which is awesome. She's lucky you found her!

As far as your questions go, my first impression was that you've had her with you for a couple days only. She's understandably nervous about the house and about you. Most issues will calm down with time. Let her settle in a bit more and then I'm sure she'll perk up and be ready to play a bit!

I think you are right to retire the old spray bottle. She needs someone to love her not scold her, and as you noted cats are very different from dogs! Instead of punishing bad behaviour, praise the good. Put her on to her pillow instead of the couch and feed her some treats. She'll get the picture! If you don't like her face in yours, try turning yourself or her so that she can't reach. Personally, it sounds like she's giving you kisses and it's a trusting action. She's not trying to make you frustrated or grossed out. It's affection!

Don't worry about the kneading. It means the cat is very happy and very content. If you worry that she's nervous, watch for her pulling her hair out, or licking her skin until it is raw (as examples). Kneading is a good thing.

Seems to me like your bed has become her "safe haven". Believe me, this is much preferred to a tight corner or a top shelf in a closet! This way she is actually NEAR you. I think that's what she really wants. The bigness of your house scares her (especially after being confined to a shelter for a few months). Make sure you keep her safe in her "zone" and let her have access to it. She'll explore when she's ready.

If you have concerns about her skin (or other health problems), the best one to tell you what's up would be the vet! The shelter may have overlooked something, especially if they missed the cat's age (?!) and didn't mention previous adoptions.

Don't just let her do her own thing, make sure you visit her and pet her. I think she really does want your attention, even if she isn't brave enough to take on the whole house!

I'm happy she's found a home with you, and welcome both to the forums!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Curious about a little thing - you said when she was on your chest she head-butted you (normally a desirable thing to most of us) but you stopped her because you didn't like it, and I was just wondering what you didn't like about it? She sounds so willing to be affectionate, yet you sound not quite sure if it's what you want, and in many places in the note you've called her 'it'. I almost get the feeling she's some sort of experiment for you, rather than a true friend accepted unconditionally - I mean that it's as if you're just waiting for trouble, rather than committing to her even if there are problems that may need to be worked out. Is it still in the back of your mind to return her to the shelter if she is not a 'perfect' companion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Hi, Curious about a little thing - you said when she was on your chest she head-butted you (normally a desirable thing to most of us) but you stopped her because you didn't like it, and I was just wondering what you didn't like about it? She sounds so willing to be affectionate, yet you sound not quite sure if it's what you want...
This was yet another mistake on my part. After researching 'head-butt' behaviour last night , I understand that it's OK. When she first did it (and she was doing it a lot) I thought it might be some sort of a domnance ritual, like a dog trying to lay it's head on top of a person's. I also just wasn't crazy about the idea of being head-butted. Now I realize that I misread the behavioiur and, as I noted in my post, I no longer discourage it, and she now butts regularly.

I wrote that I understood the differences between dogs and cats but it appears that I don't fully understand them. I'll try not to make assumptions about the cat based on my experiences with dogs.

...and in many places in the note you've called her 'it'. I almost get the feeling she's some sort of experiment for you, rather than a true friend accepted unconditionally...
Is it still in the back of your mind to return her to the shelter if she is not a 'perfect' companion?
If after a month she continues to do nothing but lay on my bed, punctuated by quick trips to food/water/litter then yes, I will return her and exchange her for another cat. I don't expect that to happen, and I'm going to do the best I can to prevent it from happening.

I don't expect "perfect"-ion, but I won't accept any animal 'uncondtitionally'. I will go to great lengths to try and understand the problem, and will modify my own behaviour (within reason) to try to accomodate the cat (thus my post).

As for the 'it' well, it's an animal, and as far as I'm concerned it/she/he and are all appropriate references to an animal.

It's not my 'baby': it's a companion: I will be kind to it, and will give it plenty of affection. I'll feed and care for it, and will take it to a vet when neccesary. I'll try to understand it and,as I said, I will modify my behaviour to make it more comfortable in it's new environment. Maybe I'll feel more intimacy with the cat as the years go by. Right now I don't feel entirely comfortable with the emotional intimacy some foks express towards their animals, cats or dogs. I don't begrudge them the intimacy, but I don't feel comfortable with it myself.

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malakaiii

Wow! Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a cat...

Don't just let her do her own thing, make sure you visit her and pet her. I think she really does want your attention, even if she isn't brave enough to take on the whole house!

I'm happy she's found a home with you, and welcome both to the forums!
Malakaiii, I read your post with great interest. Many thanks for wading through my novel. Your reply has made me feel much better about the situation.

I will do as you say and visit her in the bedroom regularly, and pet her, but I will not push her to venture forth.

I want to try to play with her, but I want to be sure that I don't unintentionally stress her. Did I mention that I bought a catnip toy, but that she has shown no interest in it? I think I did. What about the hand under the covers? You mention that the bed has become her 'safe place': I really want to avoid any sort of disturbing her in her "safe place": could such activity bother her?

Recently, during a job-related trip, I became aquanted with a cat that loved to chase laser pointer lights. I thought that it must be unique behaviour, but I've learned here that it's commonplace. Perhaps I should get a laser pointer?

As for the head butting, I completely misread it's purpose. I don't discourage it anymore.

I won't discourage her from getting on the couch anymore either (not that she's tried). If she tries I will let her, untill I feel that she's suitably secure to attempt to persuade her in the manner that you've suggested.

I think that this cat is particularly sensitive and it's likely that I unintentionally saturated it's nerves. Hopefully I can make up for some of my blunders.

Many thanks, you've really helped.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like you have a very loving and affectionate cat.
I had a very special cat who died 1.5 years ago. He was similar to the cat your describing. He died when he was 14 1/2 years old. I felt like I was blessed to have my Bubba cat, he was so well behaved and loving. I have 7 other cats who have their own special traits and I love them dearly. Bubba was the special cat that was a once in a life time deal.

He was always there for me when the world seemed a cruel and mean place.

When I got sick, he was always cuddled in bed with me purring and comforting me.

Bubba was always in tune to me and my moments, whether good or bad.

I would never consider him "just an animal" he wasn't just an animal! He was my best little friend.

Hopefully your kitty will show you the way to love her, and you will never consider her just an animal... I believe that the animal kingdom has alot to teach humans about unconditional love. Because their are alot of people who really need a lesson in that.

That is what my cat Bubba taught me was unconditional love with no boundries. I will never forget him and what he taught me.

Please give your kitty a chance to show you what unconditional love is.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome. Sounds like the two of you have some adjusting to do to each other.

She sounds like a very affectionate cat that any of the cat lovers here would love to have. She'll come around when she's more comfortable in her new surroundings.

When we got our Simba, he hid behind our headboard for one full month and every night and a great deal of our weekends were spent sitting on the bed just talking quietly and gently to him. He had been living in a cage and the poor little guy was terrified. When he finally came out (a full 5 weeks), he was the most affectionate and loving cat we had.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again. A good idea might be to find some toys she'll like, and play with her. She'll love the interaction and maybe you'll start learning how smart cats are (if in very different ways from dogs) and how much fun. There's a thread on the forum here about what they like to play with (and an easy free one is a 4-5' fattish cord, with knots on the ends, that you jiggle around for her under a large sheet of newspaper or something. She'll go nuts trying to pounce on it (and please do let her catch it at times and have a chew), plus a 3-4' long flexible stick with feathers attached to the end that you jiggle up and down (called 'Da Bird' in stores), plus a cat tree would be fabulous - give her a chance to climb, feel secure high up (that's their safe place, along with under the bed!), and something to scratch on (they need it to periodically shed claw sheaths). You can get 1-2' wide plastic donuts with an inner channel cut-out and little balls inside she'll have fun chasing, plus they love to be thrown small (large marble sized) rolled up balls of alum. foil to chase. Cats are way more subtle than dogs, but then you know what they say about 'still waters', and learning a cat's ways can fascinate you forever (at least they just keep getting more interesting for me - each one different - over many years) - could all those Egyptians have been wrong? When you're having a quiet time, and she's sitting looking at you, try slowly closing your eyes for 1-2 secs., then looking at her, do it again, and you'll see 2 things - she will answer in kind, and then maybe eventually go to sleep! Those are 'cat kisses', and make them feel very good.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by HFK

Malakaiii,
Did I mention that I bought a catnip toy, but that she has shown no interest in it? I think I did. What about the hand under the covers? You mention that the bed has become her 'safe place': I really want to avoid any sort of disturbing her in her "safe place": could such activity bother her?
My guess is that the bed has become safe haven because it smells most like you. Play with her there. Get some teaser toys ona string so she doesn't associate playing and batting things with your hand. There are many at the pet store. A company called pet stages makes some wonderful toys for cats. And only 66% of cats are catnip sensitive. Mine hates it.

Many of the body language signals of cats are the complete opposite of a dog. Let her set the pace for how much petting and exploring she will do. And buy one or two feliway infusers one for the bedroom and one for the living rom, this will comfort her and prevent her from being so stressed. My cat stayed in one or two rooms at first and was never more than three feet from me at any time. Now she will venture out everywhere and even tolerate not being on the saem floor as I.

Wait till she sticks her bottom in your face. Don't be insulted. It's the ultimate trust thing. Plus a tail up w a cat is good. down is not and twitching wagging fast is also a beware sign. She might even roll over on her back and look as if she wants you to rub her tummy, But proceed with caution, that's often a defensive position so she can attack with alll fours and her teeth too. but then again she may want a tummy rub, just be careful.

And finally you can seduce a cat into many behaviors but they won't tolerate being ordered about. That's partly why we cat lovers love them so much.

you will get to know her better each day, and through that attachment she will feel more and more comfy. And remember that cats primary activities are sleeping, grooming and sleeping some more. She will most want to play at dawn and dusk. Making her hunt for things dangling on a string or even hiding bits of dry food in places will be a great treat for her and encourage her to explore.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

You sound like you have a very loving and affectionate cat. Hopefully your kitty will show you the way to love her, and you will never consider her just an animal... I believe that the animal kingdom has alot to teach humans about unconditional love. Because their are alot of people who really need a lesson in that. Please give your kitty a chance to show you what unconditional love is.
Your kitty sounds so sweet and adorable. She is in a new environment with a new human. The speed at which she adjusts will depend a lot on how much love she feels from you. Have you named her yet?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like you took a dog-like view of her training initially. I'm glad you decided she can go on the sofa. Otherwise it would be confusing for her...she can sit on your lap, while you sit on teh sofa, but not on the sofa itself and could lead her to not like your lap. The only place I try to reinforce the cats not to go is the kitchen counters, I've gotten lax enough on that as well (just during meal preparation are they not allowed). Cats like levels but not as big of an issue if you only have one.

If she is 4 then her playfulness is starting to wane some (though this is dependant on the individual). She won't really have the burning imagination of a kitten to play by herself with a toy. Laser pointers, and fishing rods with feathers, as others have said are good interactive toys that she would probably take more interest in.

The response to catnip is genetic. I think about 25% of cats do not respond to it. Then there are varying amounts of response, to totally crazy, to just enjoying the smell (I have both responses in my kitties).

The main thing is cats like routine. Once she knows your routine she will feel more secure. Cats do not like change and this is a big enough change for her so time will be needed.

I use the spray bottle only in extreme situations. If my cats are waiting to dash out the door when I come in or leave then I will use the spray because to me its better to have their pride hurt than to have something truly disasterous happen (I live on a busy street). But even before discipline is used she needs to learn to trust you otherwise that bond won't form. Also excessive use will only get her frustrated with you (one thing at a time with a cat). I think its fine for emergency behavior modification.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HFK

What about the hand under the covers? You mention that the bed has become her 'safe place': I really want to avoid any sort of disturbing her in her "safe place": could such activity bother her?
Do this with cuation or your feet could be the target of her amusement while you are sleeping!

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I'm glad you decided she can go on the sofa. Otherwise it would be confusing for her...she can sit on your lap, while you sit on teh sofa, but not on the sofa itself and could lead her to not like your lap. .
I didn't explain that one clearly enough: I had her in my only on another one of the Living Room chairs, what I suppose is my TV chair. I never sit on the sofa.

Laser pointers, and fishing rods with feathers, as others have said are good interactive toys that she would probably take more interest in..
I went to Petsmart today to get a laser: they were out of them. I did buy a fishing rod toy: I'll let you know how that works. I also bought some treats, in the hope that it might help to bring her out of her shell. She didn't take to the first type I gave her, didn't seem interested in it at all. I bought several types, hopefully she'll like one of them.

The main thing is cats like routine. Once she knows your routine she will feel more secure.
Now that's something that I didn't know: I thought that cat's were independant, and thus not neccesarily connected to a person's routine. Interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

But even before discipline is used she needs to learn to trust you otherwise that bond won't form.
I think that I propelled us into the situation we're in by ignoring that principle. I should have tried picking her up off of the couch and putting her on her pillow before spraying her. In retrospect, if I'd done that, and yet it failed to work, I should have just let her roam at will untill I was sure that she was acclimated, and then tried alternative methods of persuasion. Honestly, I never dreamed that spraying her would have this kind of effect upon her.

Also excessive use will only get her frustrated with you (one thing at a time with a cat).
I think I'm beginning to understand...

Many thanks for your advice.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HFK

She doesn't seem playfull at all, not even with one of those catnip toys. She will bat at my hand when I put it under the covers and grab at her paw, but I'm not sure if that's playing or if she's irritated, and I don't want to stress her, so I've stopped doing that.
I'm sure someone has mentioned this already, I haven't read the entire thread, but not all cats respond to catnip, and not all cats play with toys that don't move. I would recommend an interactive toy like da bird, or something on a wand.

She may also never have had the opportunity to play. We recently adopted two cats from the shelter, a male (Swanie) and a female (Cynthia). Swanie loves toys on wands. Whenever he played, Cindy would come watch him, intently. Then one day she pounced on it herself. Now she plays all the time. However, she doesn't care at all about catnip. And neither cat will play with a toy that just lays there.

Cindy was a bit like your kitty when we got her, I would bring her downstairs, and I could see she was curious, but she would get nervous and run back upstairs. I spent as much time as I could petting her, talking to her, etc. Right now (4 months later), she's laying on the couch next to where I'm sitting a the computer. When I came home from work tonight, both cats met me at the door. Basically, I think if you love her, she will love you back. Keep in mind that you don't know what kind of life she had before you got her. Give her some time to get comfortable with her new surrounding and with you.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat does end up doing something really unacceptable to you, there is a way to 'discipline' her so she'll understand - not that she'll necessarily stop the behaviour immediately, or even the 10th time, but it's what mother cats do... just gently put/push her head down for a few seconds and tell her 'no' (not in a loud voice, just definitively). Cats are also spooked very easily by sudden moves, loud noises, etc. and revert to being 'wild' - they have very little control over that, as they may be domesticated, but never truly 'tame' and just persevering as you do with a dog doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to distract them with something else from what you want them to stop doing, or just remove the 'attractive nuisance', or move the cat somewhere else (even behind a closed door for a few minutes - any longer and they have no idea why they're there, if they ever did know). Our concept of 'bad' has no meaning for them, so punishing them for instinctive behaviours is also not a great idea, as they're just being 'cat'.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How's she doing now? Have you given her a name yet?

Her lack of playfulness is probably linked to her nervousness. It'll come around as she becomes comfortable!

And yes, cats ARE more independant than dogs, but they still love people and like to be around us! That's why she likes your bed so much.

Try to think of her as a friend instead of a roomate and you will do fine.
Keep us updated!

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Cats are also spooked very easily by sudden moves, loud noises, etc. and revert to being 'wild' - they have very little control over that, as they may be domesticated, but never truly 'tame' and just persevering as you do with a dog doesn't always work
I think I'm beginning to get it... Before I got her I presumed that cat's were generally indestructible, little forces of nature that never paid enough attention to people to be concerned with what they thought (or at least wanted). I can see now that mine, at least, is much more sensitive than I anticipated.

Thanks for your help. I think that things will work out (see below).

hfk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How's she doing now??
Better, there has been a bit of progress:

1. She likes one of the treats I bought for her today (she ignored the first type I gave her, as I mentioned above)

2. I bought her a dangly toy, one attached to a wand that is hand-manipulated. We played with it on the bed, and she batted at it vigorously, although she didn't chase after it. She definitely found it interesting.

3. Best of all, she ventured forth from the bedroom and wandered through the kitchen while I was getting ready to cook dinner. I stopped and petted her just a bit (didn't want to spook her) and then she walked on to her bowls. She ate a bit then sat down on the rug next to the back door in view of me. I was going to give her a treat but the instant she percieved that I was going to come her way she bolted off, and I did not give chase. That was an encouraging event.

Have you given her a name yet?
No. The shelter named her Miss Priss, but that's just not right. Maybe you, or some of the others, can help.

She's all black with green eyes and not very large at all.

A co-worker cat lover is going to make some suggestions too.

About her being black: while I was looking at cats, when I came upon Priss, the folks at the shelter told me that, due to superstitions, black cats don't adopt as quickly as othor colors. According to them, sometimes it takes much, much longer to find homes for them. That's what made me decide to adopt her (well, her friendly demeanor helped too)

Have any of you noticed a general fear of, or superstition against, black cats? It's still the twentyfirst century, isn't it?

Thanks again.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 'favorite' cat of all time was black and white with green eyes - called him Tuffy because he needed the name (not very big and certainly lost), definitely sweet and so loyal. Just wanted to add that the 'treats' sold at the supermkt. are generally more nutritious than those found at pet stores. Be careful - if you develop 'treat' times, you'll be stuck with them! Random is better, and don't overdo - it's hard to get an overweight cat to diet. They love little bits of 'people' tuna, chicken or liver, but need 'cat food' in their regular diet because it contains taurine (among other good things) which domestic cats need, because they can't hunt a proper balanced diet. You'll manage just fine, I think!

trixshar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guess I've had enough cats living here (including foster kittens) to pass on some observations.
- Cats who have come in as adults have tended to start out sticking to the same room, exploring it thoroughly, (and inparting their scent by rubbing against things or rolling on the floor.) My cat of many years did this whenever we moved into a new house, gradually expanding her territory, (sometimes farther than I liked, e.g. onto the top of the refrigerator or bookcases.)
Kittens have no sense of danger or caution, the younger they are. I had a 4-week-old kitten a few inches long stand firmly on her tiny feet & roar at me (no sound)
- Of my cats who like toys, interactive ones that require my participation are their consistant favorite. Remember, the cat spends all day alone, sleeping & being bored. Your return is all the excitement she gets, so interaction with you is the high point og the day, whether it is affection or play. She will be more emotionally dependent on you than, say, an outdoor cat or one of a pair. (I have several here now, and they mostly compete for my attention or lap.)
Sounds like you have one like the dear little girl I had for nearly 17 years.

And if she had been adopted before & brought back, it does not mean there was something wrong. Sometimes people find they are allergic (or start dating someone who is) and returns the cat. One friend of mine was a chain smoker with a small apartment. Her visiting adult daughter, knowing she loved cats, got her a cat. Turns out the cat could not exist in the smoke-filled small area & started running around, (probably seeking a way out for air.) OR people get a cat "for their child, to learn responsibility." The child fails to feed the cat or change the catbox, and the parent returns the cat. And sometimes the cat is adopted by an elderly person who dies & the cat returns to the shelter.

Good luck with your little girl!