Help Please! Newborn Kitten 0 Week old

JaneAkira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a first-time mom and gave birth to 1 kitten more than 24 hours ago. I am unsure of what to do and what to look out for. Hanabi (the mother) keeps moving the kitten from time to time from my room to the living room. I read online that the mother is supposed to help the newborn poop or pee but I'm unsure if the kitten has pooped or peed yet. Also, is it normal for the kitten to be crying from time to time? I need help. Thank you so much.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is a first-time mom and gave birth to 1 kitten more than 24 hours ago. I am unsure of what to do and what to look out for. Hanabi (the mother) keeps moving the kitten from time to time from my room to the living room. I read online that the mother is supposed to help the newborn poop or pee but I'm unsure if the kitten has pooped or peed yet. Also, is it normal for the kitten to be crying from time to time? I need help. Thank you so much.
Not sure about the poop and pee but they are mammals just like us so crying is normal. The kitten needs to stay with her mom. She must have her own spot. Do you have a cardboard box and blankets?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Mom helps the kitten pee and poop by licking its bottom. That means she's mostly eating it, so you won't see much.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do weigh the kitten daily to see if it gains the desired 10 grams a day on average. Supplement the kitten's feedings with some KMR if the gains aren't adequate. Mom can have some to help her calcium, too.

Does Mom bring the kitten to where you are? Maybe you can get her a manageable box to stay in when she's with you.

At this stage, the only communication the kitten can do is to cry. It's pretty much normal.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma has perhaps more kittens, and hasnt patience enough for her first kitten??
If momma isnt in distress or with visible problems, its to observe, but be calm, with any luck she will get the other kittens when their time come. Its not unusual they come a day or even more apart.

During the time, give her calcium rich food (whichever she takes), and do as the others suggested: be sure she has a nice place as her nest. If she wants to be near you, make it so.