Help please! New(ish) cat behaviour problems.

catdelite15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest you find a new loving home for the new kitten.  The stress on your older cat and entire household is too much and can cause health issues.  If your older cat is so afraid, there is a possibility of dehydration due to not wanting to venture out for the water bowl.  (I have been through this myself and had to part with an over-active kitten) Go door to door or place an ad for your kitten, but screen carefully, even do a home visit.  I would also keep the cats separated, it just isn't fair for your older cat to have to suffer like this.  There are still good pet owners out there who would love this spunky kitten!  Contact your local Humane Society, our city takes them to Petsmart and they get adopted right away, just note that the kitten is better in a one cat household so this won't be repeated.  It is a hard decision, but it brings a lot of peace. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest you find a new loving home for the new kitten.  The stress on your older cat and entire household is too much and can cause health issues.  If your older cat is so afraid, there is a possibility of dehydration due to not wanting to venture out for the water bowl.  (I have been through this myself and had to part with an over-active kitten) Go door to door or place an ad for your kitten, but screen carefully, even do a home visit.  I would also keep the cats separated, it just isn't fair for your older cat to have to suffer like this.  There are still good pet owners out there who would love this spunky kitten!  Contact your local Humane Society, our city takes them to Petsmart and they get adopted right away, just note that the kitten is better in a one cat household so this won't be repeated.  It is a hard decision, but it brings a lot of peace. 
The OP rehomed the kitten one and a half years ago. I would suggest you read the whole thread before passing judgement. The dates of each post are in the upper left-hand corner.

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Lilys Mom, How is life with Lily going? Any Improvements? art4life

thpeech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Amazon or Ebay for Feliway.  We use it here --one alpha older cat and one timid younger cat.  I use a spray bottle with water to discourage bad behavior. Lots of play time for both the cats seems to cut down on the bad behavior. Good Luck

lilys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted an update in the thread I started.  She's coming along slowly, but she's made some small advances.   For Lily, a small advance is huge.   She's pretty much adopted my living room and allows my other cat, Oliver to hang out with her.  She's been coming out more and I've made a special place for her to lay.   She still hisses at me and runs sometimes, but this is much better than it was before I wrote my post.   I have the scent of lavender permeating the room and she seems okay with that.

So baby steps, but at least steps in the right direction.   Thanks so much for asking.

lizandoreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YAY!!! Progress is good, even a little progress. Keep up the good work!!

Regards,

Liz

Last edited:

msmean12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I had a similiar issue, my cat who is male is 12 yrs old do not associate with other cats and/or other humans.  He do not like for anyone to pick him up except for me and my son, anyone else and he will bite them.  I had a stray young female show up at my house and she was friendly, but my male did not take to her at first, so I kept them separated, kind of kept introducing her to him slowly, but the main thing was I DIDNOT show her more affection than him, he was given extra affection (he was also raised by himself and I had him since he was 5 weeks old).  I had actually gotten to the point where he just ignored her and not hiss and growl at her like before, unfortunately the female wandered off and was not seen again, but the moral of this story is, show your female more affection and she really needs to put that male in his place.   Basically when animals have lived alone for a long time, other animals must be introduced to them slowly.  Have you thought about declawing the male? Good Luck!!!!

MsMean

lilys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate your suggestion, but I don't believe in declawing and even if I did, my vet doesn't and won't do it.   Besides, Oliver won't hurt Lily.  He may be all boy, but he's a sweet boy.  Thanks so much for your input though.   All ideas are appreciated and taken into consideration because my main goal is to try to help Lily.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello,

I had a similiar issue, my cat who is male is 12 yrs old do not associate with other cats and/or other humans.  He do not like for anyone to pick him up except for me and my son, anyone else and he will bite them.  I had a stray young female show up at my house and she was friendly, but my male did not take to her at first, so I kept them separated, kind of kept introducing her to him slowly, but the main thing was I DIDNOT show her more affection than him, he was given extra affection (he was also raised by himself and I had him since he was 5 weeks old).  I had actually gotten to the point where he just ignored her and not hiss and growl at her like before, unfortunately the female wandered off and was not seen again, but the moral of this story is, show your female more affection and she really needs to put that male in his place.   Basically when animals have lived alone for a long time, other animals must be introduced to them slowly.  Have you thought about declawing the male? Good Luck!!!!

MsMean
This is an anti-declaw site. Please refrain from suggesting it to other posters.

mopseys 1st toy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please separate the youngster to his own room, cat box, bowls, etc. Give him time to acclimate to his own room. Let him earn the priviledge of exploring the rest of the house and give the older gal some peace. Amen

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please separate the youngster to his own room, cat box, bowls, etc. Give him time to acclimate to his own room. Let him earn the priviledge of exploring the rest of the house and give the older gal some peace. Amen
The matter was settled almost 2 years ago. You are replying to a poster that is no longer on here. The date of each post is in the upper left corner of the post.