Help Please? Mama Cat Question..

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama is a year old. She had one baby its a week old today. Since yesterday she's wanted to snuggle it less andess. Is spending more time out of the box. Will go in, lick baby, help it potty.. A few times since I've had to pet her and make sure she stayed laying so baby could nurse. But a few times she's laid on her own and fed. She doesn't seem to be rejecting baby just not being as maternal as I'm used to? Baby sleeps well and doesn't seem to be in distress although it does go crazy when it tries to get milk. It'll get some it just takes a minute.

I am already planning on getting kitten milk just in case but Im worried. Don't want mama not taking care of baby. And I thought mama stayed with baby at all times unless eating or going potty. So her not wanting to be with it all the time scares me. ....

She's a first time mom. I've never had a cat do this...

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Awwww! We do love pictures!
I would not worry, she is a very young mama and they do sometimes do this. I don't think she is doing it on purpose but because she is still very young she does not have that maternal instinct yet (if that makes sense!). I would buy kitten formula and a bottle just in case but i wouldn't worry. Make sure you invest in some digital kitchen scales as well so you can monitor the kittens weight so if she does not let the kitten nurse much and his/her weight decreases you can jump in and help.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems to go to him every 3-4 hours. Feeds bathes cuddles then leaves again. Hoping that's normal. Going to have to get a scale. Baby seems okay. Fat tummy. Learning to purr.
Mama is named Arya Stark and I've been calking baby Loki

Attachments

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww... he's so precious!
You seem to be doing all the right things and so does mama!
Good Luck and do keep us all updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds well. Since she only has one she can spend less time in the nest. Moms do take breaks, more so as time goes by.

Do you plan to spay mom after this kitten weans?

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I plan on getting mama spayed definitely. That's the first thing I told her when I found she was pregnant was that once baby is weaned she gets fixed

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama sounds like shes still doing her job. If you were feeding the kitten it would be about every 4 hours and then a burp and cleaning then back to napping again. If she is a bit of an aggressive feeder, mama probably just wants that break every so often. Just make sure the little one stays warm if mama is wanting alone and it may be a good idea to get a small can of formula in case she needs a bit more. A kitten typically around that age will gain about 7-14 grams a day (about 100 a week). I used a chart for my little orphan and vet visits helped confirm her weight was on track
498xNxkitten-weight-chart.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ddBAmkW6zk.jpg

EDIT: Theres lots of feeding guides too in case you are unsure of the feeding amounts Bottle Feeding Kittens

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm getting a kitchen scale (electronic) to monitor weight. Earlier I was doing dishes. Went to my room and my little niece had let my male cat in. I was freaking out because he was curled up with baby in the box and mom was out of the box sleeping. I took the male out and changed the bedding. Not sure if it'd a good idea for him to be in there so I took him out he wasn't being mean. Was cleaning baby when I came in

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monitored interaction I think would be okay....it sounds like hes taking a shine to the little one lol. Male cats can be part of a kitten's rearing and as long as hes had vaccinations and such I wouldn't worry about contamination. We all go through that paranoia rearing a kitten, but remember they arent made of delicate glass and keep reminding yourself that this has been going on for like 100 000 years supervised and not supervised with success. You have extra luck with the mama still being there so you don't have to be responsible for absolutely everything, just keep a gazing eye on progress. Wish I had gotten a scale when I reared mine, it would have put me at ease about feeding and making sure I was doing things right.

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he thinks he's daddy. He is vaccinated and only an indoor cat (as are all my cats except mama got let out and got preggers lol). I guess if mama didn't seem upset at him being there its okay. They love each other

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he thinks he's daddy. He is vaccinated and only an indoor cat (as are all my cats except mama got let out and got preggers lol). I guess if mama didn't seem upset at him being there its okay. They love each other
GAWD thats cute lol You got mama for the basics of life, papa for some other companionship and yourself to supervise everything.....I think the little guy is going to be quite healthy and happy.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so. Now mama is trying to leave the room to go run the rest of the house lol told her she has to stay with baby
A week old kitten will need about 32 cc of formula/mothers milk a day. They will cry loudly and normally move their head side to side when they are hungry...that should be when mama is near or naturally she will hear them and go to them. If she doesn't stay after feeding just make sure the little one is kept warm until next feeding. If she isnt asleep, cuddle her to your neck or against your chest so he/she can feel your heartbeat and warmth. Just step in to do things mama doesnt do but dont stress out mama either.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing the kit is the best way to monitor if mom is doing her job along with a happy content baby. The pictures are precious almost makes me long for the days when mine were mere wudgies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Supervise when the male cat is in the room. He sounds friendly!

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh he's being supervised. Unfortunately I can't get to the store for a scale until Tuesday because I don't drive

Electricscorpio20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still pretty nervous because mama still seems to want breaks when baby is sleeping. Baby will get a little aggressive when eating and mama will get up and walk away. The worry is not going away And its making me lose sleep and stress. I'm unfortunately most likely going to have to call a rescue if mama keeps taking long breaks like this :/ with my work I won't be home often enough to bottle feed if mama keeps this up :(

I know I sound like a broken record but I can't help it. I'm a worry wart sometimes

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds fairly normal, although its good you do have your eyes open. This male sounds as a good help out, co-parenting, or at least, helping keeping company. superwise the first times, but later on you can surely let him participate as he wants. Monitoring with daily weighting is wise too.
With kitten milk, I hope you mean kmr, or possibly goats milk, not the cat treat milk you can buy in grocery shops?

I am already planning on getting kitten milk just in case but Im worried. Don't want mama not taking care of baby. And I thought mama stayed with baby at all times unless eating or going potty. So her not wanting to be with it all the time scares me. ....

She's a first time mom. I've never had a cat do this...