Help please! Cat swollen mouth and has cracks there

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please help me. The other day, my parents were putting ant trappers around the house and I had to put my cat in a cage to prevent him from a eating or messing with the traps. While he was in the cage, he was very upset and tried to escape with his nose and mouth area. His mouth and nose bridge area was then very swollen, it has been 2 days since the incident, the nose bridge area swelling has gone down but today I notice that the mouth swelling is still there, and i also noticed that there were strange crack things there too. I have attached 3 pictures. I can't take him to the vet I am 13 years old and my parents don't think it's a big deal . any advice is very very appreciated this whole thing is scaring me a lot please help me

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please help me. The other day, my parents were putting ant trappers around the house and I had to put my cat in a cage to prevent him from a eating or messing with the traps. While he was in the cage, he was very upset and tried to escape with his nose and mouth area. His mouth and nose bridge area was then very swollen, it has been 2 days since the incident, the nose bridge area swelling has gone down but today I notice that the mouth swelling is still there, and i also noticed that there were strange crack things there too. I have attached 3 pictures. I can't take him to the vet I am 13 years old and my parents don't think it's a big deal . any advice is very very appreciated this whole thing is scaring me a lot please help me
Here is another picture with better detail of the cracks
IMG_20230815_011834.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, his face is really swollen. He did all this damage in the cage? Obviously a vet would be best, but I remember your situation. So, keep him inside. He probably doesn’t have his sense of smell right now. Feed canned/soft food. Hopefully the swelling will go down. When it isn’t so bad, check his teethe and make sure he didn’t break any.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omgoodness that poor darling baby boy... I agree with S silent meowlook
Do not try to check his teeth until he has healed some... do as silent meowlook mentioned above. When it isnt so bad then check his teeth. Not until he has healed some... You dont want to add more pain to this poor boy. He definitely needs to be kept inside until he is heals. If he goes out like he is he will be put in danger and not be able to protect himself to the fullest.

I don't see how he did this to himself from being inside a cage.. are you sure something else didn't happen? I ask because I've never seen something like this from a pet being in a carrier. It looks extremely painful. Poor baby.

I had to put my cat in a cage to prevent him from a eating or messing with the traps. While he was in the cage, he was very upset and tried to escape with his nose and mouth area.
Next time is it possible to put him in your room or any room really where he can be confined safely.

Keep us posted.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, his face is really swollen. He did all this damage in the cage? Obviously a vet would be best, but I remember your situation. So, keep him inside. He probably doesn’t have his sense of smell right now. Feed canned/soft food. Hopefully the swelling will go down. When it isn’t so bad, check his teethe and make sure he didn’t break any.
Omgoodness that poor darling baby boy... I agree with S silent meowlook
Do not try to check his teeth until he has healed some... do as silent meowlook mentioned above. When it isnt so bad then check his teeth. Not until he has healed some... You dont want to add more pain to this poor boy. He definitely needs to be kept inside until he is heals. If he goes out like he is he will be put in danger and not be able to protect himself to the fullest.

I don't see how he did this to himself from being inside a cage.. are you sure something else didn't happen? I ask because I've never seen something like this from a pet being in a carrier. It looks extremely painful. Poor baby.

Next time is it possible to put him in your room or any room really where he can be confined safely.

Keep us posted.
Yes I tried to look at the area and he flinched when i touched it so I am going to leave it alone right now.
I am feeding him dry food soaked with water so that it is easier on his mouth
Right now it looks as if he is having difficulties yawning
and yes he did this in the cage, he was fine before he was put in and then when i went to let him out his entire nose and mouth face was swollen ☹ And yes next time i am definitely not putting him in a cage i will be putting him in a room.

One question, what do you all think the cracks are? are they broken skin? I can’t really tell what they are.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the cracks are cuts... I mean if you think about it it would kinda make sense.. he did all that damage to his mouth nose area to where he is swollen and clearly sore. So I think it is definitely a possibility, but I am not sure. Just trying to think about the picture as a whole.
Cage
Him intensely trying to get out(to the point of all the swelling)
So he would be trying to squeeze his face through parts of the cage.
This is what I picture so this is why it makes sense to me that it could be a possibility of being cuts.

And yes, do not mess with his mouth/nose area at all. He has gotta be in a lot of pain. You just wait til the swelling goes down and he doesn't seem as if he is in a lot of pain before you even remotely try to look inside his mouth at his teeth.

He is a pretty kitty. How'd you come about getting him? Have you had him since he was a kitten?

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see the cracks, but can't tell for sure yet.

Would they be interested in more pet safe methods, such as coffee grounds?
Yes I will definitely let them know about coffee grounds as an option.

It's possible the cracks are cuts... I mean if you think about it it would kinda make sense.. he did all that damage to his mouth nose area to where he is swollen and clearly sore. So I think it is definitely a possibility, but I am not sure. Just trying to think about the picture as a whole.
Cage
Him intensely trying to get out(to the point of all the swelling)
So he would be trying to squeeze his face through parts of the cage.
This is what I picture so this is why it makes sense to me that it could be a possibility of being cuts.
Yes it would for sure make sense if the cracks are cuts, I have attached images of an update it is now the morning and the areas kind of seem like they're peeling off ever so slightly.
He is a pretty kitty. How'd you come about getting him? Have you had him since he was a kitten?
I had him since he was born, he is the son of my other cat 😊

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I will definitely let them know about coffee grounds as an option.

Yes it would for sure make sense if the cracks are cuts, I have attached images of an update it is now the morning and the areas kind of seem like they're peeling off ever so slightly.

I had him since he was born, he is the son of my other cat 😊
Update
IMG_20230815_112644.jpg
IMG_20230815_112632.jpg
Images are here

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat needs to go to the vet. Ask your parents what they'd do if YOU were injured? What would they do if your injuries might prevent you from eating or breathing? Do whatever needs to be done to make sure you can to pay for the vet bill. Ask your parents what you can do to pay for the vet bill. It may be hard, but you love your cat and want to get him taken care of. Your parents have to pay your medical bills. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat needs to go to the vet. Ask your parents what they'd do if YOU were injured? What would they do if your injuries might prevent you from eating or breathing? Do whatever needs to be done to make sure you can to pay for the vet bill. Ask your parents what you can do to pay for the vet bill. It may be hard, but you love your cat and want to get him taken care of. Your parents have to pay your medical bills. :)
I understand what you mean, but I reslly have tried and they dont think it’s a big issue.
If your parents would rather still have something they're more familiar with, there's this;
Borax ant bait stations are our #1 recommended product for those with pets. It’s highly effective, but also much safer for pets compared to traditional insecticides.
#1 Ant Killer That Is Safe For Pets - Complete Guide To Pet Safe Ant Control! (Safe for Dogs, Cats, Other Pets) - The Pest Informer.
thank you very much, i will definitely look into this
I will provide update pictures tomorrow

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask why your parents wont take your kitties to the vet when needed.

I understand what you mean, but I reslly have tried and they dont think it’s a big issue.
If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time you had a kitty needing a vet right?

I just think that if they allowed you to have a pet then they should take care of it when it comes to getting it medical attention.
Is there anyway you can talk to them and let them know that you will do anything to work off the vet bill.

I just wish that you had family members that would take you and your kitty when they need a vet.
I mean if I lived close by and knew you I would take and get your kitty help for you. It's sad I wish I could somehow get your parents to realize that it would be better to get your cats help when they need it.
I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I ask why your parents wont take your kitties to the vet when needed.

If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time you had a kitty needing a vet right?

I just think that if they allowed you to have a pet then they should take care of it when it comes to getting it medical attention.
Is there anyway you can talk to them and let them know that you will do anything to work off the vet bill.

I just wish that you had family members that would take you and your kitty when they need a vet.
I mean if I lived close by and knew you I would take and get your kitty help for you. It's sad I wish I could somehow get your parents to realize that it would be better to get your cats help when they need it.
I'm so sorry you have to go through that.
thank you for your kind words. my parents don’t like spending the money on the vet. They don’t think it’s a serious injury and they say they’re only gonna take him him it’s a serious injury.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just asking because I remember last time everyone was saying get him to the vet and they wouldn't. I do worry that you wouldn't be a le to get it the help it may need if something serious was happening. Do you think you would be able to get med attention for them if they needed it? I hope so for you and your furbabies.😺

Your parents know that with pets comes vet costs. So that shouldnt be their reasoning. You gotta fight for whats right for your cats. They depend on you. ❤😺

We are all here to provide you with support, don't forget that.😃

If you ever need help to encourage your parents to take them to a vet if it is serious and people here are suggesting it maybe that would help them to take the kitties if they saw how concerned everyone is?

Just trying to help. I want your kitties happy and healthy. You seem like a sweetheart who just wants what's best for your kitties. We are all here for you.

Also if it gets to the point one of these times please have a backup plan where anyone would take the kitten in just incase there is an emergency and they still won't. If you can find someone willing to take you and the kitty. I think having a plan in place might help in the future

You are such a sweetheart I hope your little boys mouth feels better asap. Have a good night hun.♥♥😺😺

Last edited:

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, it it currently Tuesday August 15, 10:22 PM for me and here are picture updates. (I added date and time so that I can keep track of the healing process)

I saw him rubbing and licking the area with his paw and then when I checked, I noticed the flaking peely stuff is more obvious. I touched the area to see if it causes him pain and at first he did not react very much but then suddenly he started rubbing it with his paw. It still looks swollen
Here are the images
IMG_20230815_221550.jpg
IMG_20230815_221522.jpg

Thank you very much, I do think an emergency plan would be good, however there isn't a way I can get him to the vet currently without my parents help unfortunately.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at first he did not react very much but then suddenly he started rubbing it with his paw. It still looks swollen
This is a sure sign he is still in pain don't touch it leave it alone. You can't do anything for him but let him rest and try to heal.

Thank you very much, I do think an emergency plan would be good, however there isn't a way I can get him to the vet currently without my parents help unfortunately.
Do you have family member who could take you if it came down to it? I would talk to friends and family and explain that there may be a time that you will need their help. This way you have a backup plan incase they need the med attention and your parents won't.

How many kitties do you have? Did you bring them home without your parents saying it was OK? I've done that when i was a kid with a dog lol
🤣🤣 I remember my parents reaming me a new one hahaha.

Anyway his mouth area still looks bad. I'm wondering if he is going to wind up with an infection... I hope not. Just leave his mouth nose area alone don't touch it at all.once the swelling is gone and only when the swelling is gone, then you can check the inside of his mouth to check his teeth.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just so everyone knows, Lilly Scott is 13 years old. She loves her cat very much and has tried many times to get her parents to take her kitty to the vet and it is always unsuccessful. There really is no point in telling her to get her parents to take the cat to the vet when they won’t. It is just going to cause her more stress and turmoil in her family to keep trying.
I know when Lilly Scott is 18, she will take her cat to the vet whenever needed. I have no doubt about that. But please remember that sadly, at 13 years of age, Lilly Scott has to listen to her parents and it’s best she just keeps the peace so as not to add additional stress to her, her cst, or her family living situation. This sucks, for lack of a better word. But, Lilly does love this little cat more than anything and has nursed him back to health on her own with no outside support. I know she will get him through this situation also.

Lilly, the cracks may be due to the skin splitting, depending on how swollen he was, or more than likely from pushing his face into the bars of the cage and bitting the bars.

I have seen some cats do a crazy-amount of damage to their face while in a cage. While this does look painful and shocking, I have seen worse, sadly.

You’re doing great with him. Just continue with soft food and keeping him in for now. He is eating and that is good. Don’t worry about doing anything to his face. He will keep it clean himself when it is comfortable enough for him to do so. When it is no longer painful, take a peak at his teeth, but, definitely wait at least 2 weeks. I can see from the picture ( new) that his face already looks less swollen than yesterday.
You are doing great with him Lilly Scott.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree her situation with her parents is quite upsetting. I was trying to see if she could have other options or backup plan because I remember reading she was young and her parents wouldn't take the cat last time.. I was seeing if she had family that could help.
L Lily Scott is doing a fine job taking care of this little boy.
This is also why I asked if she brought them home without her parents say so. Because I've done this (with a dog) when I was a kid and my parents first reamed me out and second said I better do everything for the pup and they weren't going to take it to the vet if it got sick.. although I think they would have, well I have to hope they would have but for "minor" things I would have to say I was in the same boat. I had a cousin that could help take me and my pup to the vet. So I can definitely relate unfortunately. L Lily Scott we here at YCS are supposed to relate in better happier ways lol.. but hey at least you know you're not alone. You have all of us here. I wish I had something similar to this when I was younger. I think it would have helped keep me calm about things with my pup.

That's what I mentioned.. well I took a guess though lol I had said maybe cuts on his face from squishing his little face against the cage..

I can't imagine seeing worse from a cat doing that to themselves in a cage.. this looks bad enough. That's so sad that you have seen cats do worse..

L Lily Scott to reiterate you are doing all you can for your cat.. that is what matters if you ever need someone to talk to dont hesitate to reach out. I've been where you are so I understand..

Much love to you and your little fur baby
From my furbaby and me to you
😺🩵🩵