Help Please Cat Straining To Pee And Going Outside Litterbox

craftymip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who had recently turned 2, is straining to pee and/or defecate. For the past week or so she has been squatting for a long time in her litter box. We thought it was constipation, so we limited her dry food intake and made sure her water fountain wad clean. She has defecated since then, but she still appears to be straining to go. When i do see her pee it is a small amount. She has been eating, playing, and acting normally otherwise, and her stomach feels normal. Last night however she began to go outside of the box. When we cleaned it up, we noticed it was light pink in color. Is this a urinary tract infection? If so what are treatments and what should we do to prevent it in the future? Thank you

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, a vet visit is urgently needed for her. Urinary blockages, infections.. ect.. are nothing to wait and see, with a cat. They are painful, even if the cat is hiding that fact, and they can turn deadly very quickly.
Please keep us updated on her, we will worry. :crossfingers:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Straining to pee means she has bladder stones. If you wait, she will need surgery.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like her urethra is blocked, probably with a bladder stone or “gravel.” The pink color is from blood. She may also have an infection but the obstruction needs to be treated urgently because it can lead to irreversible kidney damage or a ruptured bladder in a very short time. Good luck with your kitty and let us know what happens.