HELP PLEASE cat stopped eating and drinking, please respond

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! I'm so glad you found the cause, and it was easily treated! I know that exact feeling- when I got Albus, he was going through HL and I force fed him with a syringe for about 9 or 10 weeks. That day he started eating by himself, and kept doing it was just the best!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sub Q fluids are very important as dehydration can cause lack of appetite. I also suggest appetite stimulants but I use Cyproheptadine ( an antihistamine)
because there are less side effects. Syringe feeding if necessary, I use AD with a little water and use a 6cc syringe that you should be able to get at the vets. You need to get close to the normal amount of food as you can in them. The longer a cat goes without eating the less they want to eat. Could kitty be nauseated? I had a cat that I had to do this with for 8mos. Baby food is good but be careful that is does not have onion powder as cats can't have that. Dehydration and fever will cause lack of appetite, lethargy and make kitty miserable. If you can't do sub Qs at home your vet can do it, it may take a few days, adding water to food helps maintain fluid level. I could never do the sub Qs I was to big a scardy cat! Good luck and if things don't change quickly I second the opinion of finding a new vet.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the posts that you found the problem, good for you, happy 4th.
I hope things keep getting better for you and kitty.

twokatz

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am wondering why the vet did not send you home with IV fluids to give him under his skin, not in his vain. I did the fluids with my cat when she was not taking enough fluids on her own. I just poked the needle under the loose skin on her back allowed the amount the Dr. told me to go under the skin, she had this funny looking blader on her back, and in about 1 hour it was gone. We did this once a day for about 3 months.

I have also given my kitten, childrens electrolite water with a droper in the mouth. I do this when they have had a bout of throwing up. It is not fun, but it works.

K.