Help Please answer ASAP again

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK we have had 64 just a little over a year and we have moved 4 times, she now pees on the bed, she kneads it then pees......we are having a brand new house built and we can't have that...she is a totally inside cat....she does pee and poo sometimes in the litter box but now twice she has peed on bed....what could be causing this and what can we do ?

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you cleaned the area with an enzymatic cleaner? The enzymes will break down the urine. Sometimes, ff cats can still smell urine, they'll keep going to that spot. I'd use Nature's Miracles cleaner. You can get it at pet stores.

Has anything changed in the household? New food, new pets, new litter? Sometimes changes can cause a bit of stress in cats.

inka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A brand new house smells construction and it doesn't smell like home. It may be scary and stressful to a cat. Your bed is a safe place - it smells you.

As you wrote, she is kneading it first, comforting herself surrounded by familiar smells, then relaxes enough to relieve herself right there.

It could have been your purse, a dining chair, the couch, or anything else that is familiar and feels safe. Seems she has chosen the bed.

It will take her a while to rub all the new corners with her scents, and also the construction smell to weaken. 

In a mean time maybe you could try Feliway diffusers through out the house (in every room and hallway she has access to), and also get her another litter box in your bedroom - just temporarily and not a new one with factory smell, but something familiar that can be used as a litter box for now. 

I would especially advise to get the diffusers - they don't work for every cat, but I have had very good results, not a single accident for months of high stress situation.

Best of luck and hope your kitty will soon adjust to the new place 

Last edited: