HELP.....PH LEVELS

amiller653

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help my baby. 3 year old that had a serious blockage last year. We survived it and we have had him on CD diet for almost a full year. Go to the vet yesterday for some issues and his PH is at 9 !!!!!

WTF......vet is suggesting moving from CD to SO, but I don't understand. I've been doing everything I'm supposed to do and not convinced changing to SO will actually do anything.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't actually know the "codes" offhand.

But usually you have the cat on the diet that dissolves the stones for around a year and then you move to the prevention diet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The urinary care foods are supposed to help with the urine PH level (high being too alkaline) and in doing so can dissolve existing crystals and help to prevent future ones. I don't know if moving from CD to SO would help or not - and especially not if either are given in dry food form. Both foods ae supposed to be lower in some of the minerals that facilitate a higher urine PH as well as crystal formation.

Moisture is the biggest aid in lowering the urine PH and in helping to prevent crystal formation as water flushes out the bladder and reduces the PH and the sediment that can develop into crystals. Smaller, more frequent meals are supposed to be helpful as well, as it is thought that less frequent larger meals can actually boost the alkalinity level. And, dry food should really be considered verboten. Diets that are high in grains, carbohydrates, and vegetables seem to increase the risk of developing a high pH urine level.

There are other possible contributors to high urine PH, such as kidney and/or liver disease. If blood work (chemistry panel) does not show kidney or liver function issues, X-rays, ultrasounds, or other imaging techniques that visualize the urinary tract (and other organs, like the liver) might be something to consider. These tests could detect tumors, anatomical defects, or other abnormalities possibly causing high urinary pH (in addition to finding bladder stones). If the vet has not pursued these options, you might ask them about doing so.
High pH In Cat Urine - What's The Cause? - Cat Lovers Hub (catloverhub.org)

Last edited: