Help our Cat cope with the many big changes in her near future

emilydickinson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our darling cat, Emily Dickinson, was found as a skittish feral 5 month old kitten. Now, 3 years later, she is the sweetest, cuddliest, most beautiful, purriest cat in the world. She is still a little shy with strangers, but is an absolute darling. She is an indoor cat. She has only seen other cats from the window, and does not like them. She gets scared (and craps) and bristly. She is fixed and has claws.

Anyway, we are moving from one city to another, 500 miles apart. We have feliway going in the new apartment already.

Question 1: do we have her fly (southwest in the cabin, hour and a half flight) or drive her 8 hours (she hates being in the car, but we have meds that the vet gave us that could be used)?

At the new apartment, a lost kitten showed up outside our door. My husband and neighbors are trying to establish if he has owners, but in the meantime have given him food, litter box, bed, water. He is not fixed.

Question 2: assuming Mr. Kitten does not have owners that can be found, would adopting him really mess up our darling Emily? How do you acclimate a new kitten and a young cat in a new apartment?

thanks!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our darling cat, Emily Dickinson, was found as a skittish feral 5 month old kitten. Now, 3 years later, she is the sweetest, cuddliest, most beautiful, purriest cat in the world. She is still a little shy with strangers, but is an absolute darling. She is an indoor cat. She has only seen other cats from the window, and does not like them. She gets scared (and craps) and bristly. She is fixed and has claws.

She, sounds like a great cat. I also, must commend you, for, working with the former feral

Anyway, we are moving from one city to another, 500 miles apart. We have feliway going in the new apartment already.

That, sounds great to me

Question 1: do we have her fly (southwest in the cabin, hour and a half flight) or drive her 8 hours (she hates being in the car, but we have meds that the vet gave us that could be used)?

I have a very nervousness DLH, who, is a completely indoor cat. I have flown with her, on numerous occasions. She has done VERY very well, flying, South West in the cabin. I did tranquilize her, the first time. But, not on subsequent trips. She handles a plane ride, MUCH better, then, a five or so minute car ride. This, is just my two

At the new apartment, a lost kitten showed up outside our door. My husband and neighbors are trying to establish if he has owners, but in the meantime have given him food, litter box, bed, water. He is not fixed.

Question 2: assuming Mr. Kitten does not have owners that can be found, would adopting him really mess up our darling Emily? How do you acclimate a new kitten and a young cat in a new apartment?

That really depends, on, how Emily does with other cats. I am inclined to say, it, might not be the best idea, since, you did say, if, she sees another cat, outside a window, she gets upset, and has a bowel movement. But, having Emily, in a new place, hence, new territory and should be, less, territorial, it might work out. I am just not sure

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you do decide to adopt the kitten, I recommend bring both him and Emily into the new apartment at the same time. That way the apartment won't "belong" to anyone yet and neither of them should be too territorial with it. And since you already have the feliway going...I mean...sounds like as good of time as any to me :)