Help only kind of litter trained.

ktjohns1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted a two year old exotic shorthair that came from a loving family. She is trained to use the litter box and mostly does so. We have had her for three days and she has went outside of the box in other rooms twice and has went in her litter box plenty of other times. I do not really know what to do as she is two years old and for the most part knows to go in the cat box.

She seems to have warmed up to us quick and sleeps in the same bed and also plays with the toys we bought her. She eats and drinks well and has a good amount of energy throughout the day. She sits in our laps and comes to us when she wants attention.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thank you very much.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get this kitty to the vet and rule out a UTI or bladder issue

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does she do outside of the litter box? If it is pee, then she may have a possible UTI. If poop, than it may be stress or other problems. Usually cats will naturally use the litter box, unless they don't know where it is, which is not the case for your cat.

kami kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As Sharky has already said take kitty to the vet & have her checked for a uti.
Please don't try any home remedy treatments ( cider vinegar ) without a vets supervision. You can also try Dr Elesys cat attract litter ( red square shaped bag ) this litter really lures kitty to the cat box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktjohns1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I should have added that. It has not been pee at all but just her doing the other thing. Every time she has peed it has been in her litter box.

If it is just stress from being in a new place then I will wait a month before I try anything I guess. My question know I guess would be after a month and she is still doing this what should I do?

Oh one more thing her name is Delilah.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get a vet check...

Look up Feliway diffuser or spray as this may calm her stress level

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try having 2 litter boxes? Some cats prefer one for #1 and one for #2...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktjohns1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I talked to the previous owners to see if she had any problems with this and they did fess up to her doing it every once in awhile but it was not a common thing.

As far as the vet check they had brought her to the vet for check ups every 6 months and she had received a clean bill of health every time.

So I will consider the two litter box deal but does anyone have any idea in terms of training what I should do?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the suggestions above, are you using exactly the same sort of litter used in her prior home? And same sort of boxes (mine refer uncovered boxes, but sometimes you get a cat who's used to covered boxes and wants them). Some cats are very particular about litter texture and type.

I'd also suggest getting a new box and filling it with Cat Attract litter to see what happens. Definitely add at least one more box, somewhat separated from the original box, IMO.

Does her poo seem normal to you? Sometimes when kitties have an upset tummy, they go outside the box to (a) show you there's a problem and (b) because they think the box itself is causing their discomfort - or sometimes they just can't get to the box in time.

Good luck - I know from experience it's disheartening, but try to stay calm and keep working with her. Also, try keeping a diary of when she has accidents and what's she's been eating, any other changes in the environment. Sometimes the diary will turn up a pattern you hadn't realized was there.

Oops, are you cleaning the spots with an enzyme cleaner to make sure the odors are totally out, even to her nose?