Help on turning Indoor cat into Outdoor cat

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a better alternative.
There are outside enclosures you can buy, you can also build them. We had inside-outside kitties for a long time, but last year the area really became dangerous for them, and we lost some wonderful cats. So we bit the bullet and built an enclosure from scratch. Yes, it was expensive, all told probably $2,500.00 but much cheaper than the vet bills for car accidents, euthanasia, cat bites, and poisonings..
Not to mention peace of mind-

Cat Enclosure

If you have property and can build a shelter that will keep her safe that would be the way to go. Cats can tear screens fairly easily, especially when they see other cats outside. Allerpet is also a viable option. It does work-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alainchas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive thought about her tearing through screens, but I am encouraged by the fact that she does great on our screened on porch at our current apartment. We are on the second floor right by a tree and she has birds and squirrels that tease and taunte her. She just sort of "chitters" at them and watches. She can see stray cats walking around below, but not up right against the screen. The two cats havent even scratched the screen yet. Hopefully we will have the same behavior in the new house. Annabelle is such a well behaved cat. She is almost dog-like..for example if you tell her to "come here", she will. She is a very independent cat but also likes attention when shes ready. My roomate's cat is siamese and is the opposite...very needy and sometimes has the worst behavior...but she is so cute!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds good!

One thing to think about - if you think you'll ever have any occasion to leave her out in the yard unsupervised, you'll probably want to install a lockable cat door in the porch so she can get back in safely if an owl or hawk comes by. Then you could lock her back in the porch when you want to keep her in.

I'm sure he already knows this, but just in case - just having your fiance be careful not to touch his face after handling the cat until he's washed his hands can make a big difference. DH will forget sometimes and rub his nose or eyes without washing his hands first, and he'll start sneezing and his eyes will turn red.

Also, cutting down on exposure to anything else he's allergic to can help by reducing his overall allergy 'load' - for example, if he's allergic to dust mites, avoiding carpet and using allergy bed coverings and air filters in the house can help. The cats tend to bother us the most during the times of year our other allergies are at their worst.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to cats and have three of them. LOL Your fiance might want to see if prolonged exposure suppresses his allergies -- it has mine. Or, perhaps all my friends with kids were right when they tell me to have kids because "It's different when they're your own." lmao (EDITED TO ADD that I agree with tuxedokitties -- I don't touch my face after I've handled the cats. No sense in looking for trouble. I wash my hands frequently each day, too, whether I'm handling them or not).

Before I had my three, when I would go to people's houses who had cats, I almost always had to leave before I wanted to, because my eyes were watery and itching. I keep my house clean, but it's no antiseptic showcase. I think I just got lucky and was able to rescue three little kitties -- one at a time -- who needed a home.

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are making every effort to keep Annabelle safe. We recently built a 6 foot high enclosure with an extension at right angles so the cats can't climb out. Our two, who were strictly indoor up to that point, love it and spend ages outside. However, I won't leave them out if we aren't home. I think your solution of keeping Annabelle on the sun porch is great, but companionship will be key -- another cat or dog. Congratulations on you and your fiance being so devoted to your kitty! And congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

dulcie riley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My hsuband is allergic to my cats but he takes medications. I would never marry someone who would insist I makwe my cats go outside - there are just too many dangers and it is not fair to the cat. I know you mean well though and are in a tough spot.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of people who re-acclimate themselves to kitties. If your finace is willing, have him spent a few mniutes each day for a week or so with the kitty. Over time, he can increase the amount of time he spends with Annabelle & *hopefully* he will eventually get used to her.

Companionship for Annabelle would be best. When Twitch needed companionship, I finally did something I had wanted to do for a long time-I bought Gerbils. Although Gerbils probably wouldn't be the best choice in your situation, it is a great idea.

There are cat doors that have a chip to place on a collar that only allows an animal wearing that collar through the door. That way Annabelle would be the only creature to get through the door.