help on setting up "birthing room"

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I asked my hubby about the big dog crate his brother used to have and explained the whole thing to him about having a safe place for Angel to have her kittens. Well much to my suprise he said we could have them in our room! I was SHOCKED. LOL His big concern is having babies go to his side of the bed and him stepping on them. So I am going to block off my side of the bed (and get in the bed from the bottom. lol) for the kittens at least when they are younger then figure something out once they get around that.

Now just wanted some ideas on how to set the room up. our room is TINY and I mean TINY. LOL

we have a king size waterbed with a solid base so the cat can't get under there, but there is a space in the back of the bed so have to block that off as I have no way to reach back there if she goes in there. We have 2 built in night stands (attached to the walls since nothing would fit there. LOL) and an end table that our TV is on........ that has a cabinet underneat.

Now just wondering how to set it up. I could put the nesting box under my nightstand or in the end table and do the litter box for the other. what do you think would work best?????

oh and as soon as I get a matress cover (we have a waterbed. LOL) I am going to start putting her in there a bit throughout the day to get used to it. how often should I put her in to start and how long should I leave her in there? Also figure I will start bringing her in at night. And how close to delivery should I leave her in there for good? She is due the end of this mo.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 weeks before she is due bring her in the room to start getting use to it..... Also better get the mattress cover now
I have no clue about the nightstand because I am not sure the shape of the room or anything... Can you draw it on paper take a pic post it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Once I clean up my laundry (LOL) I can take a picture tomorrow. there is about 12-14" on my side of the bed that is "free" space. 18" at the end of the bed and about 14-16" on hubbys side. the night stand is an octagon shape and is in the corner at the end of my bed..... but I can get some pictures tomorrow. I mean this room is TINY! LOL about a foot walking area around the bed till you hit wall. LOL

And yup getting the matress cover either tomorrow or this week.
I figure I would start taking her in every so often maybe to give her her wet food starting this week (that way my other cats don't take hers! lately I have her beside me and shoo them away from her wet food after they finish theres. bullies. LOL)

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my kitty will be due the end of this month, too!

I am setting up a larger bathroom with a dog crate with bedding and a smaller box inside, a blanket over the crate, and of course, food and water.

Should I put the food and water outside of the crate or in? What about the litter? Should I get a heating pad for the kittens, or will momma keep them warm enough? Any other suggestions?

I'll be keeping an eye on you, junior.... we'll be doing this together... I'm so nevous!!

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just wasn't sure if since the end table would be surrounded on all sides if she would rather that, but then again under the side table is basically surrounded also. LOL maybe I will do the litter box in the end table that way when I block the kittens off I can do it from the side of my bed but the litter box is still close enough so Angel can get to it but babies can't play in it till they are older. LOL

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Godiva---- good thing you go first! hahaaa! Angel got out April 25th and was gone till May 1st. LOL so Sneakers is about 5-7 days ahead of Angel.
LOL

your idea sounds good. is the bathroom used often? we only have 1 bathroom with 4 people using it but 5 for baths (have a 16 mo. old) so that didn't work for me. LOL not sure on the food and litter box. would say in there but others may say different so dont' go by me. hahaaa.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter no... Cats dont want to tinckle where they eat and also when the babys are here the litter should stay close but not to close...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

Litter no... Cats dont want to tinckle where they eat and also when the babys are here the litter should stay close but not to close...
Having the litter outside the crate defeats the purpose of a crate. The crate is to contain the family and keep them safe and protect mom from having the opportunity to outside again. I would definately have a small litterbox in the crate for when you are away...and if you would like to set up a second one outside the crate for "supervised" visits..that is ok.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now just wondering how to set it up. I could put the nesting box under my nightstand or in the end table and do the litter box for the other. what do you think would work best?????

oh and as soon as I get a matress cover (we have a waterbed. LOL) I am going to start putting her in there a bit throughout the day to get used to it. how often should I put her in to start and how long should I leave her in there? Also figure I will start bringing her in at night. And how close to delivery should I leave her in there for good? She is due the end of this mo.
I think Worlds Best Litter is fine. Since you are going to have the crate in the bedroom, I'd also put a cover over it once the kittens are born so that mom has extra "privacy". I'd start having by placing her food inside the crate so that she gets used to it. Make sure you THOROUGHLY wash it out so that it doesn't have any dog smells in it.

Katie

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
think this got confussed. I am doing my room (very tiny so no room for a crate) and Godiva is doing a crate.

So for me the litter would either go in the cabinet my tv is on (for privacy and also kittens would be blocked from there but it is right there for mom (leave the door open on it) or under the night stand, but kittens would be right there.......

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior67

think this got confussed. I am doing my room (very tiny so no room for a crate) and Godiva is doing a crate.

So for me the litter would either go in the cabinet my tv is on (for privacy and also kittens would be blocked from there but it is right there for mom (leave the door open on it) or under the night stand, but kittens would be right there.......
I wouldn't recommend the night stand....it sounds like the cabinet is a much bigger and better choice. Can you set up a litter box/food close by so mom doesn't have to leave her kittens for long?

Katie

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie---- my room is all of 12x12 I think, LOL and we have a king size bed. I will be blocking off my side of the bed (about 12" wide, maybe 14") and 84" long (she can't get under the bed as it is solid). the night stand is built to the wall and about 12" wide and 14" long? it is just a piece of wood basically, but have to block off the one spot behind the bed that is small but enough for my cat to fit so think I will put a nesting box under that (so she has something over her) and that will also block that side of the hole, then just need to block hubbies side. The end table that my TV is on is almost right where the bed ends (about 6" space) so will put litter box in there. So mom just has to pop over the barrier to keep babies on that side (I will get in and out of bed from the end to ensure the babies safety) and walk into the end table where the litter box will be. I will get pictures today to show you how tiny it is. but mom can go over the barrier and on our bed or wander the room if she wants but babies are confined (till they can get over the barrier I will put up).

did that make sense? I am off today to get my matress pad, another litterbox, and another food/water dish so I can get it set up for her today and start feeding her the wet food in there so she gets used to it. She LOVES to sneak in our room since the door is always closed so will enjoy it but not sure for how long after being locked in there so will gradually increase her time in there until about 60-62 days (does that sound about right) when I will lock her in there for good. We also have a baby monitor with a camera and TV that I may set up in there for when I am not in there so I can watch her when she is close........