HELP! NO INSULIN FOR A DAY AND HALF NEED ANY SUGGESTIONS

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get prozinc directly from my Vet.  I thought they had it on hand as I check last week.  When I went there this morning No Prozinc! I have to order it online and it wont be here until tomorrow afternoon.  Human insulin wont work. I do acknowledge this is partly my fault, but I did check the vet last week and it was available and I did tell them I would be coming this week to get it.  This is my usual procedure because a bottle is not cheap and I can't really get it early due to budget issues. I was able to get 3 units out of the bottle this morning to give her (she usually takes 4) but I wont be able to give her her PM dose and probably not her A.M. dose tomorrow, until late.  I do know how to check for signs of danger and have honey ready but is there anything I can do in the meantime to help the blood sugar? Maybe to eat?   I didn't get a call from the vet so I assume this isn't a big issue with them but I am worried.  My little 17 year old baby is pictured below her name is CiCi.

View media item 199176

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What diet is she on?  We have done well with diabetic cats feeding them low carb diets, such as Fancy Feast Classics and/or prescription diets m/d.  While not my favorite it has helped a couple of kitties we have as patients as diabetics get off of insulin.  Could you call around to other clinics to see if they have it?  We have a bottle in stock that we give to our hospitalized diabetics.  Maybe call your vet and see if they have anything like that they could give you or even if they give the insulin themselves to your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was on w/d but reading all posts on the grain free diet has convinced me to convert her to grain free dry. I have began the conversion process and we are now on a 10% w/d and 90% core wellness dry and friskies wet which she always had.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Too little insulin is always better than too much insulin. We've accidently missed the occasional shot (lantus 4 units 2x daily), or have had the occasional fur shot. He's a big hairy guy. Your cat will probably be drinking more to compensate. Have lots of water available. Honey (I use corn syrup) is for too much insulin. Your cat does NOT need honey right now. It will make the blood sugar rise even higher.

Call every vet practice within driving distance. I'm sure there is some Prozinc out there.

I'd also suggest doing a home glucose test to see exactly what the cat's level currently is. Then, you've got something concrete to mention on when you call around.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked around for some yesterday all over the place.  I guess Lantus is the insulin of choice, because that is all I could find.  Since it is not a human insulin no one carried it on hand.  It is good to know that she will probably be ok. I will have the Prozinc by 3 pm today.  My cat is on insulin for high blood sugar, it has never been too low.  I will continue to keep an eye on her.  Thanks for the input everyone.