Help! Newly adopted cat hiding somewhere in basement for over a week.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh, glad it's all working out! She must feel comfortable with your husband if she is sleeping next to him :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:  Celestina has claimed my husband's pillow and/or his head as her throne at night so I think she's fully accepted him!  

He's never been a cat person but I think he's changing his opinion.  She's pretty darn lovable!  :)  

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S.  She's getting more and more comfortable - she's even come near the door once or twice.  She still bolts at the smallest sounds or movements though.  Honestly I'm nervous for when the time comes to let her out into the rest of the house - I'm afraid we'll lose her again!  So I'm trying to create as many positive associations with our room as possible.  Hopefully then she'll come up to under our bed when she feels the need to hide instead of the basement!   

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems like she likes your husbands scent. Hope he is ready to share his televison viewing chair with her!  Glad to hear she is adjusting so well. That's a big change for an adult cat. She may have been waiting for a little more action than she was experiencing at the care home!  Sounds like all is going quite well!

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've opened our bedroom door now - figured it would be best to let her venture out on her own accord. Got a cat tree for the living room and I'm excited for her to see it but don't want to force her out of her comfort zone.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: It's great things are going so well. I hope she finds the courage to go and explore her new tree soon. You're doing great with her. She's lucky to have you :D

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel lucky to have her!  

celestina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:  We are leaving our door open now and just last night she ventured out into the house for the first time - but she came back to our room afterward!  Whew!  I was so nervous she'd bolt for the basement again!  We still have her food, water and litter in our room; at what point should we transition these out to their "normal" places on the main floor?  I want to firmly established that our room is safe and sheltering even if her food and litter aren't there anymore.  She loves underneath our platform bed - tons of room - and we have a small cat bed in there for her so I hope she continues to use that as her hidey-hole.  When I move her things will she likely relocate as well?