Help! Newly Adopted And Depressed Stray

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

New to TheCatSite and new to owning a cat. Hoping to get some advice and support.

Alright, so I manage an apartment complex. We have 5 or 6 stray/feral cats that live in our community. One of them took a liking to me - started meowing, rubbing up on me, etc. Sometimes I’d leave my office door propped open and he eventually made my office his home. He’s bizarrely loving lol to all humans. I hated the fact that I had to kick him out of my office every day at 5:00 - so! I decided I would adopt him and call him Ziggy.

I live in a spacious two bedroom apartment with my boyfriend and roommate. We also have a very smart Border Collie rescue, Sweetie.

Before I brought Ziggy home, I had my boyfriend bring Sweetie to the office so they could meet. Sweetie was completely unphased but Ziggy was not happy. Later that afternoon I took him to the vet and he was incredibly relaxed. The doctor was surprised by how healthy and calm he was. Soft paws, good heart and lungs, about 2 years old, no fleas, just a few scabs from fighting. She vaccinated him, told me I was lucky to find such a sweet cat and sent us on our way.

I kept Ziggy in his cage, covered with a blanket while I set up his new home. He has a high perch spot overlooking our entire apartment. I sprayed his areas with a little catnip oil and some calming pheromones (per the doctor). I put Sweetie in the back room and opened Ziggy’s cage. He slowly came out, sniffed around and laid on the couch. I fed him some natural calming treats (also per the doctor) and put on relaxing cat music (I know lol but just trying to make him comfortable). I picked him up and put him on his perch and he surveyed his new kingdom.

Okay, now my concerns. He won’t leave his perch unless I pick him up. He’s not playful, he won’t eat unless I bring his bowls to his perch. The most distressing part - he hasn’t gone to the bathroom AT ALL. I showed him the litter box multiple times and he refuses. His box is in a secluded part of our kitchen away from his food. He seems unbothered by Sweetie unless she gets too close to him.

I’ve picked him up and put him in various high places to show him he’s welcome to explore and observe. He still loves being pet, loves his new brush and will even rub his face on my face. He’s the sweetest thing.

But I’m worried about him not ever leaving his perch and definitely worried about him not pooping. He also hasn’t bathed himself.

I know he’s only been in his new home for 24 hours. I know it takes cats time to adjust. But I want to know what I can do to encourage him to feel comfortable. I really want him to use the bathroom!

Do you think I should harness and leash him to take him outside? Is he depressed? Any tips, tricks or words of wisdom much appreciated!! Thanks everyone :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
Update

Ziggy pooped!

On the dogs bed.

I had been feeding him wet food, but you can tell he doesn't enjoy it but he loved the dry food I bought today. Next he explored a bit and found a new hangout UNDER the perch I set up for him. I think the one above is too much of a jump.

He eventually went to Sweetie's bed and pooped. A lot.

At least he's not constipated...

So I threw Sweetie's bed away (it wasn't going to survive) and replaced it with Ziggy's litter box. But I don't think it's going to work. This is only temporary - it's in the living room and it seems more of a territorial thing. After I threw the bed away, Ziggy explored a little more and ends up snooping EXACTLY where his litter box used to be. Then he climbed up into one of my shopping bags and looked like he was preparing to poop again. I clapped my hands once at him and he got down. He snoops some more and gets close to Sweetie - on his own doing. He started to growl so I picked him up and put him in his new nook. I gave him one of the natural calming treats the doctor gave me and now he's cleaning himself and sleeping.

I'm going to cover our furniture tonight with sheets. They're my roommates and I already had to convince him to let me keep Ziggy. I have to be away from the house tomorrow for a few hours. I'll check in on him with our security camera and hope for the best.

Even after getting semi-aggressive/skittish, he'll still love on me - rubbing up, forcing me to pet him, bunting my head with his. He's such a great cat. How do I get him to use a litter box? Still not sure if I should harness him and let him go outside.

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
Another update

I'm going to bed soon, but wanted to give Ziggy some attention before. He sat in my lap and head butted me a lot. He laid on my chest and I gave him a kitty massage, which he couldn't get enough of. He even explored our patio a bit. He was great until the dog came to lay by my roommate. He hissed and jumped off my lap.

He calms down a bit, climbs into his bed that's near his nook and pees. Two beds down...

He's in his nook now, dozing in and out. I'm sleeping in the living room with him tonight.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. There's lots of good information here for you to read and there are many threads on the problem regarding peeling issue. It sounds as if he is marking his territory but you could try putting newspaper on the floor ( my mother's cat would only pew on that) or puppy pads might work. I have no experience with harness training but Im sure someone else here will advise you. Ziggy sounds as if he settling in well , your doing a good job!
Keep us updated

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I have a cat who is harness trained that I take out iccassionally, but I don't think that's your main concern now.

How many days have you had Ziggy inside your home? Did you get him neutered yet? If he hasn't been neutered yet, you should set an appointment to do this. He will be more settled and less likely to Mark with urine if he is neutered.

The normal protocol for introducing a new cat into a household with another pet is to keep the cat in a room by himself for several days at least or longer. This gives him a safe space for adjustment and time to get used to the resident pets in a non-threatening way. But since the cat is out of the bag now, so to say, and doing okay except for the litter box issue, I'm not sure you need to separate him at this point. No need to go backwards in the process.

You should put the litter box in one location and keep it there. Try adding some dirt from the ground from outside into the litter. Sometimes this will help a stray or feral cat adjust to a litter box. It does sound like a territorial issue with the dog from what you have described. Is he urinating in the litter box or marking territory in different parts of your house? Marking territory will likely stop once he is neutered if he hasn't been yet. If he has, then this issue will take a little time and patience to resolve.

Spend time playing with him each day. Wand toys and laser pointer toys are the best for interactive play between you and him. Apart from the litter box issue, it sounds as though he is adjusting very well in such a short time.

After he has adjusted to indoor life, if he cries at the door or paws at the window and appears to miss outdoors, you can purchase a harness and lead. Make sure harness fits securely, they come in all different sizes. Attach a lead to it. Cats don't often walk alongside you like a dog. They like to spend time rolling around on their backs, eating grass, and will occasionally take off in a sprint. I have two leads connected to allow six feet for such activity. Some people advise putting the harness on the cat while inside so he gets used to it. That has not worked for me. Cats initially hate the harness and will lay down and try to get it off their backs. But once they make the connection of the harness to getting to go outside, they will tolerate it. The cat I take outside sees the harness and submits to wearing it because he loves to go outside. So when the time comes to take Ziggy outside, if he indicates a desire to go out, put the harness on and take him to your backyard or someplace secluded and just let him get used to being in the harness while outside. Some cats enjoy going out with the harness, other cats don't have the desire I have five cats, and only one of them goes out on walks with me.

It sounds like you are doing a great job so far. Thanks for adopting this kitty!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds perfectly normal to me, it will take months, not days for him to adjust, especially with a dog in the house which represents danger. Really, a dog will be easier to adjust to then a cat, there won't be territory to fight over, or litter boxes, or food. You might want to confine him to your room for now, especially if you are gone, it would help him to learn to use the litter box and make him feel a little more secure. Your high up place sounds perfect for him to survey his new home and get used to all the changes in his life, which you know cats hate, even if they are good for them. You are so nice to not get extremely upset with his going in the dog's bed, you will be blessed for your kindness.This will all change in time. Neutering is definitely needed if he hasn't been done, you don't want spraying and the constant yowling. You might have a couple of boxes with different litter, he might not like the one you are using. In case he doesn't know what litter is for, next time he defecates, put a small 'sample' in the box to let him know it is acceptable to go there. Get yourself a good enzyme cleaner to clean any messes, you can't afford to throw everything out he goes on! I think he will do fine, it will just take time!

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies! The reassurance and encouragement really makes me feel like I'm treating Ziggy the right way.

Here's a little update:

He is neutered. His ear is clipped and the vet confirmed he's neutered. I slept in the living room with him last night. He wandered around the house for some time - on tabletops, shelves, etc. Eventually he meowed at the barricade separating the bedrooms/bathrooms. I called him and he jumped on the couch with me. He got on my chest and keaded my stomach for what had to have been an hour straight. Faintly purring! This is the first time I've heard him purr. He slept on my chest all night and woke me up 2 minutes before my alarm went off. I'm in love with this animal lol

He's home alone now. I'm watching him on our security camera. He's snooped around a bit - even in his litter box area! But he didn't get in lol now he's sleeping. I covered the furniture with blankets and sheets of foil just to deter him from peeing on the couches. Ziggy and Sweetie are separated with the barricade while I'm not home. But I will continue to let them hang together with supervision.

Today I'm going to try to find him a more natural, scentless litter. I'm going to get some dirt from my office area to mix in with the litter. I'll get a new box too and put it in his permanent spot. I read about the one cat = two boxes rule. Probably not going to worry about the harness for now...

Thanks again everyone! I'll keep updating.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's fantastic progress. Looks like he's decided to adopt you ☺ Great job.

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
Night Two

Just a quick update because we're playing "Ball On String" right now and it's getting pretty intense.

Set up his new litter box mixed with dirt from his old outdoor hangout. He jumped right out when I put him in. I fed him his dinner and he ate it slowly over the course of an hour. So I start cooking dinner and notice a pee smell. *Great* I caught Ziggy on camera sneaking on our kitchen counters earlier today. He waited until he was just out of shot and peed on the stove...of all places. Thank god for Nature's Miracle. As I'm discovering this, one of my friends walks in the door. Ziggy was super interested in her. He even got a little vocal. Then...

He went in his litter box!!!

I quickly praised him and gave him a treat. Granted, it was in the original drug store Febreeze brand - not the $22 organic outdoor inspired litter lol what an opinionated little cat.

He played with a toy for a while, drank lots of water and just observed everyone's behavior. THEN...

HE PEED IN HIS LITTER BOX! I again praised him and his spirits went way up. He's purring and kneading. I'm so relieved that he's using a box.

I plan on keeping his pace of adjustment. Though, he's getting increasingly curious of what's behind the barricade and he sometimes scratches the furniture. I don't want him to mark my clothes or poop in Sweetie's other bed. Or my worst fear: pee on my bed. I don't want him to scratch up my roommates couches either. He couldn't care less about the $2 cardboard scratcher. How can I deter Ziggy from scratching furniture?

Thanks again for everybody's support and advice. You guys are really helping me change Zig's life.

Okay back to Ball On String. It's final quarter and we're tied.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news that he's using the litter box! And I'm glad to hear that it seems that the issue was he didn't like the brand of literature rather than it being a complicated territorial issue. I would advise you to get a few different kinds of scratching posts. There's the thick carpeted vertical kind treated with catnip, there are also ones that lie flat on the floor. I would get at least three. Cats do need to scratch, and if they are not provided with scratching posts will use your furniture. It is a worthwhile investment!
It sounds like he is adjusting very well :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site.:wave2: And congrats on becoming a new cat parent. Sounds like Ziggy is adjusting to his new home.

As for scratching, my Ruby also couldn't care less about the cardboard scratchers. She likes the door hanging carpet ones, her carpeted cat condo, and (unfortunately for me) the carpet in the basement.

So, as msaimee msaimee suggested, get a couple different types of scratchers and hopefully he'll like one.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Progress for Ziggy. That's great. I have found that using clear double sided tape stops my little stair carpet scratches. Stick some to the area he scratches, it can't be seen and it should do the trick.

chasecates

#VegasStrong
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE ON ZIGGY

Hi everyone! Ziggy has been with me for a little over two weeks. He has adjusted very well! I'm proud of him.

There are just a few things I could use some advice on:

He still swipes and hisses at my dog. The dog is uncomfortable. Ziggy will sleep near Sweetie and will even walk past her sometimes. Other times he will hiss and scratch Sweetie. What can I do to help them get along?

Second, and my more concerning - at night sometimes Ziggy will go downstairs and sit by the door and meow. I've ignored him for the most part. I don't want to give him any attention when he's downstairs.

Today he tried to escape when my roommate got home. She opened the door and he booked it out of the apartment. She was able to catch him, thank God. WHAT DO I DO?! I'm heartbroken just thinking about losing him.

How do I keep him from running away? I'm sure he misses being outside. I've given him a patio place, but he doesn't seem to like it. Please someone give me some advice. I'm desperate.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear Ziggy is settling in. I have no experience with cats and dogs, but here's some articles that might help. Since they've already met, you might have to tweak some of the instructions. ;)
Introducing Cats To Dogs
Caring For Cats And Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

About going outside, that's a tough one. I was so lucky that my former stray, Ruby, has no interest in going outside. But so many cats love to go out. I was about to say maybe when winter comes, he'll want to stay in, but I see you're in Las Vegas, so that won't apply to you.

Sorry, I don't really have any advice to offer. Hopefully other members will chime in with good suggestions / advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You and your roommate both need to be very careful when entering and leaving the apartment.

Two weeks is simply not enough time for him to be adjusted to indoor life or your dog. This could take several months.

In the meantime, it may be best if he stays in your bedroom for now unless you can supervise.

As for meowing at the door at night, cats are nocturnal and love to explore at night. Eventually he will learn to sleep at night, but be sure to wear him out before bedtime with a 20-30 minute round of play with a wand or laser toy. This will help him to settle down.