Help! Newborns Not Being Cared For

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I wish I could purraise you more for the suggestion of a nap! I will try to get a nap in now. I just peeked in on her and saw that she's now laying down in the box with the kittens. She's not fully on her side presenting nipples but I see the kittens looking for them and she's not moving away or actively rejecting them. I hope this is a good sign! It's going to take me some time to fall asleep but I'll just take a short nap. If it seems like they are suckling I'll try to get more sleep in!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And of course I checked one last time because I heard a thumping noise upstairs (had to be one of the other cats in the other bedroom). When I peeked in I saw momma laying there with a kitten on her in the correct position and heard that distinctive suckling sound:) I could not see the second one but I have the room dimly lit and she's covered so it is hard to see black on black fur. Still crossing my fingers it keeps up but I will fall asleep a little easier now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be good you go over the feeding time, so the kittens will cry hungry. it may be THIS stimuli the momma needs.

Premixed KMR isnt that fantastic. OK to begin with, but swich to powder version when the shops are open again.
Second stage isnt very good either. You can give it to momma perhaps.

But canned or powdered goats milk is OK, and its not impossible to find in many shops. Just avoid funny low fat diet versions.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did nap but not for long. I've been checking on her periodically. She is with them and I've seen them both suckling. I don't know if she is grooming them or stimulating them. I don't know if she's bonded to them like an experienced mother would be but it's something. At least they are warm and getting meals. I just don't think she wants me to see what she's doing. If I'm in there she pretty much just freezes so she's not going to groom them when I'm around.

StefanZ StefanZ can you tell me why goat milk is preferable to KMR? If it is better I can try to order some online- that might be my best bet. All this stuff I had on hand was for preparedness/ emergency kit- just to have on hand in case I needed it and I did end up needing it eventually! I *think* this is the last female and the others out there are males but until every single one is TnR'd I'm going to keep my kit stocked.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The premixed liquid KMR comes in cheap bottle but isnt really reliable. Some kittens get constipation some other loose stol. The powdered is much more reliable.
So its ok to begin with so you arent defenceless but switch later on.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
RAW goats milk has some theoretical advantages, as it comes from an alive momma. So I myself recommend it especially for newborn orphans and for cats with unclear "stomach" problems, and also cats with infection diseases.

But canned, powdered etc goats milk is useful too, as long its normal full fat (about 3-3,5%) and some rescuers even prefer it.

Such goats milk is also useful for supplement for adult cats too, if they by any reason need more nutrients.

If its better than powdered KMR I dont know. Powdered KMR is good. Although some afficionados prefer goats milk by principe - its coming from a natural source, while KMR and most other kmr are made from other ingredients.

Its almost only GNC kmr which is based on goats milk, and we may see it as a compromise. :)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Actually we were discussing it this morning lol, but we are put of by the expense and the lack of technical skill. I'd look more into it for the future though because it would sure be handy!

StefanZ StefanZ I didn't know any of that. I'll try to get some. I've read that the canned formula is treated more as a starting point too. It's just so convenient in an emergency.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and I forgot to update! Things seem to be going ok. They are nursing and seem content. Momma just freezes when I go in so she's not going to show me how she treats them when I'm not there- but from behind doors I don't hear anything out of the ordinary- litter box scratches and kittens crying for a moment before settling down- that kind of thing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma freezing when you look on isnt that bad. Main thing she doesnt go into frenzy mode. A panicked cat would. Her freezing shows she has began to land, to accept the situation.

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens died overnight. The momma cat was laying with it but it was in rigor already. I know this is part of nature and not all babies live but I feel guilty because I don't know if it's something I did or did not do and now there's another kitten that is alive right now and seems to be getting nursed but I still don't know if that one will die too. The one that died was a good eater and seemingly strong. It's really sad.

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just read your story, I’m so sorry about the kitten! But I just want to say, great job for everything you are doing, don’t be disheartened! I can see you are doing everything you know to be best! And that is much more than a lot of people would do for a stray. We had a litter of 6 from a stray, we gave a shelter to the mumma to give birth, we didn’t intervene but sadly we lost 2 due to the mum smothering or stepping on them. Unfortunately these things can happen, it is heartbreaking, but not your fault! ❤

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. It's just not a good feeling in the moment. When she had the kittens my husband was so excited because we just sent our last litter off to our no-kill shelter and two went to a cat cafe and he is really missing them. We've been doing TnR her for the last two years and these last intact cats (4 of them) showed up out of nowhere after we brought in our last heavily pregnant (too late for spay/ abort) a few months ago. It's that whole vacuum effect thing. We tried trapping this one a few weeks ago but got the male instead so we neutered him because he might never go in a trap again so we never ever release a cat if it's not neutered or current on shots. We keep having older established colony members go in traps because they are no longer afraid enough of them so we just don't have the amount of traps we need to do mass trappings. For the cost of a trap we can do one to two sterilization, testing and vaccine package.

It just stinks. The sellers did not tell us that we'd be taking over for a colony of cats when we moved in. The colony is expensive but mostly it's been all good experiences. This one is a sad experience. We've been lucky so far. We have sterilized a lot of cats, they have shots, we work with a mobile vet who is good.

All this is just me trying to make myself feel better. But really it is amazing to think that a few years ago I had NO IDEA about strays and ferals. Now I feel like I can't do enough.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The second kitten did not make it either. I've been talking to the vet who does feral care for us. She said we did everything right and there was probably something wrong with them. The mother might have known right away since she wasn't caring for them from the start. It's very very sad. We are going to bury them in our backyard and plant something nice over them. We are heartbroken but even more determined to get everyone fixed. I'm working on trying to get more traps and get the community involved a little bit. As Our colony is almost fully sterilized and current on shots it's just the 3 of the 4 new cats that showed up just a few months ago including the mother of this litter that need to be done. She'll be done as soon as the vet clears her for the surgery. She has shown me a lot of trust over the last day and has been one of the easiest ferals to attend to.

It stinks knowing that this could've been avoided just by having more funds and more traps from the get-go. Hopefully we can use our experience to help others in our area TnR cats in their area as soon as we are done with our last few intact cats. I actually enjoy TnR.

You’re inspiring me to do more! But I live in Istanbul in Turkey and there is so many cats that I couldn’t even number the amount I see on a daily basis but I guess anything small I can do can help towards the cause. I hope you and your husband are doing ok!
That means more than you can know. I don't know if I've ever inspired anyone but if just one person does something for ferals because of something I've gone through then it brings a little more value to the lives of the two kittens who didn't make it. It's a daunting task but I feel that every cat we've trapped and sterilized is happier for it. They have longer healthier lives but they also seem more at ease. Even if they can't all live indoors they have far less stress when breeding is taken out of the equation.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This part in particular 'The sellers did not tell us that we'd be taking over for a colony of cats when we moved in. The colony is expensive but mostly it's been all good experiences. This one is a sad experience. We've been lucky so far. We have sterilized a lot of cats, they have shots, we work with a mobile vet who is good.'

The cats are very glad that you, someone who cares rather than someone who doesn't, or worse doesn't like cats, bought your house. I'm with the cats on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.