Help! Newborn Kitten Pooping Blood

SecondChance20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We run an animal rescue and got in two newborn kittens 3 days ago. The little girl is 112 grams and was eating 3ml every 3 hours. Today we upped it to 5ml every 3 1/2 hrs. I just went to feed her and she is pooping out blood. Really need help. Thank you

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is she still eating and active? At this point I think the best you can do is clean her up and keep her warm.

Do you have a vet nearby where you can take her first thing in the morning? Save a sample of the poop to take with you if you can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We run an animal rescue and got in two newborn kittens 3 days ago. The little girl is 112 grams and was eating 3ml every 3 hours. Today we upped it to 5ml every 3 1/2 hrs. I just went to feed her and she is pooping out blood. Really need help. Thank you
Keep her warm. Massage her. Pray.

Give her lotsa of pedialyte!

This may buy you time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much blood? Is it mixed with poop? She probably has a bacterial infection and needs an antibiotic. Let’s hope it’s nothing more serious.

Which brand KMR are you using? Is it the Powdered? The particular brand you are using may not agree with her.

Try full fat goat’s milk. It may be gentler on her system.

S SecondChance20

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SecondChance20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much blood? Is it mixed with poop? She probably has a bacterial infection and needs an antibiotic. Let’s hope it’s nothing more serious.

Which brand KMR are you using? Is it the Powdered? The particular brand you are using may not agree with her.

Try full fat goat’s milk. It may be gentler on her system.

S SecondChance20
Yes the blood is mixed in with her blood. It’s a reddish brown color. She is on the petAg formula. We are calling the vet as soon as it opens. We read that it might be worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SecondChance20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she still eating and active? At this point I think the best you can do is clean her up and keep her warm.

Do you have a vet nearby where you can take her first thing in the morning? Save a sample of the poop to take with you if you can.
Yes she is active and still eating really good. We went back to 3ml every 3hrs, we thought maybe we gave them too much too fast

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Newborns will not have worms, but she may have parasites transmitted from the mom. I doubt it’s the amount of food. She may need a tiny dose of an anti-parasite medication.

Let us know what the vet says.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s what I expected. Good you took her in and hopefully this will resolve this precious little one’s issue. Thank you for letting us know! :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Bless you for taking in those tiny babies . Please let us know how things are going. Prayers and vibes for healing & thriving :vibes::vibes::vibes: