Help New Kittens From A Mom With 2nd Litter And A Kitten From The Moms First Litter About To Have Ba

Jme new kitty grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have a 2nd time momma cat gave birth about 2 weeks ago in our room again and that's where they still are, we have mommas first litter kitten ready to have her babies and we want them in our room to to oversee new momma is doing ok? Can we try and keep both in same room or would it be safe now to kennel momma and her 2 week babies in the living room so the kitten can take up the spot in our room?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Have both lived together up until this point? If they are fine with each other they should be able to both raise kittens in the same room... cats in colonies often raise each other's kittens. Are you able to get the moms spayed after these litters? Back to back litters are not healthy for them :) If you tell us your city and state we could help find a low cost clinic for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jme new kitty grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have both lived together up until this point? If they are fine with each other they should be able to both raise kittens in the same room... cats in colonies often raise each other's kittens. Are you able to get the moms spayed after these litters? Back to back litters are not healthy for them :) If you tell us your city and state we could help find a low cost clinic for you!

Jme new kitty grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the kitten (princess) is mommas (the older cats) first litter....so they are very familiar with each other thing is is when momma had hers I blocked princess from going into our room I didn't want to frighten momma into moving babies.....and princess has only seen the babies 1 time and it tripped her out she didn't know what they were and stared and observed a min or so before backing away out of fear? Not sure....and today my husband brought princess in our room on to our bed (where she always use to sleep till mommas babies came in there....princess just sat watching in direction of what she seen that 1 time sniffed a few times and turned and left the room? So idk if she is scared of babies or momma, and perhaps wouldn't be comfortable with them and her having first time birth in same room....so my husband said to put momma and new babies in a kennel we have but it's big and would have to be in living room, we did this with her last time but the kittens were climbing and jumping at that point n now these ones are barely 2wks yet....so I didn't know if it's an ok time to move momma with babies to living room with noise and alot more action? Of course I'd still cover the kennel a while longer till they are older but do u think that is an ok idea otherwise I am at a loss as what to do?

Jme new kitty grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also how soon can we get these mommas fixed cuz they both love the out doors and we cannot afford any more babies, they are giving help with the fixing right now and we need the help but idk when we can do this? I'd hate to trap them both indoors until done nursing? Don't know what to do here

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually recommend spaying them when the kittens are 8 weeks old... you can do it a little before then if necessary, it doesn't effect their mothering hormones or nursing. Please do try to keep them inside as best as possible until you can get them spayed!

Jme new kitty grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok momma cries to go potty out side and she's only away 20 30 min tops do I need to stop this as well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its best to stop it too. Learn her to potty inside. This is best for several different reasons, her and your safety the most important.
Ok momma cries to go potty out side and she's only away 20 30 min tops do I need to stop this as well

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if you continue letting mama kitty out she will go into heat and get pregnant again. You can spay her as early as 6-7 weeks if necessary. The same for her kitten who is expecting. Cats learn to use a litter box very easily.

I would go ahead and kennel mom and babies with the crate covered on 3 sides in the family room, and move her pregnant daughter into your room.

How many kittens in mama's litter? Do you have homes lined up for them?