HELP! New cat won't eat!

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted a Persian cat who is 4 years old. He is on the same type of food the other people fed him. He's drinking well but he is NOT eating. He's hardly eaten anything all week now. I'm getting VERY concerned here!!!

Anything I can do?

Any suggestions?

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try adding a little chicken baby food, that has always done the trick for me!!!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although tuna isn't the greatest thing for felines as a meal...whenever one my own wouldn't eat...I would add just a teaspoon or so of tuna in water (not oil) to their normal food.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he hasn't eaten anything in a week please see this link and get him to a vet to be checked out- can he breathe? Persians are notorious for getting gunk in their nose and if not cleaned out they won't eat. If a cat can't smell, it won't eat

FHL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

Try adding a little chicken baby food, that has always done the trick for me!!!
Thanks. I have canned food so will be attempting to get him to eat that.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

Although tuna isn't the greatest thing for felines as a meal...whenever one my own wouldn't eat...I would add just a teaspoon or so of tuna in water (not oil) to their normal food.
Well that sure is something to try! He won't willingly eat the canned. I guess he doesn't like canned at all from what I was told. But gotta try SOMETHING.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If he hasn't eaten anything in a week please see this link and get him to a vet to be checked out- can he breathe? Persians are notorious for getting gunk in their nose and if not cleaned out they won't eat. If a cat can't smell, it won't eat

FHL
That is SO what I'm afraid of.
Thanks for the link. It does give some good tips to try.

It says the Acidophilus capsules might work. I assume they are for appetite stimulation.

I just wish it was NOT Sunday tomorrow. *sigh*

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if tuna and acidopholis dont work , go to pet store and get Kitty kavier it is dried tuna flakes work everytime with Kandie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat has truly not eaten in a week you should call an emergency vet clinic and at least talk to someone about it. They get into a cycle of not eating and stay there because basically their body is feeding on itself and it gets very viscious quickly.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know fluffysimba, and i think hes been eating just not as much as he should. poor guy..so nervous coming from a caged cattery into a free roaming home. hope he eats soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

i know fluffysimba, and i think hes been eating just not as much as he should. poor guy..so nervous coming from a caged cattery into a free roaming home. hope he eats soon!
Does she have feliway ?? that could help settle him??

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont think so. I will let her know in an im
good idea i know shes been keeping him with music that he likes. poor guy

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't be able to find Kitty Kaviar in a petsmart or petco, but they do have at least two similar products/different names - Petsmart will have Cosmic tuna flakes and I think one other brand. Petco has it's own PetGold brand of bonito flakes.

Try also giving this fellow some nutrical - it's a high calorie supplement that will help get some extra calories and nutrition into him.

Another idea would be to take any canned food you get a "I might eat it" response to, and blenderize it with either chicken broth or warm water to a puree..then he can drink his meal...again, as a temporary measure just to get some nutrition into him.

Other appetite stimulants - try a freeze-dried treat - gimborn liver for cats, a dried salmon (i. e. We Pity the Kitties salmon treats which are sold in my local TOPS, or Wildside Salmon, Yummy Chummy Alaskan Salmon Treats for cats) treat, try sprinkling a bit of catnip atop the food...plain boiled chicken. Make sure you are using a dish this cat can comfortably eat from - this came up in another thread...a wide shallow bowl or a flat plate may work better than traditional bowls.

june

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet to prescribe Cyproheptadine. It's a safe and effective appetite stimulant. Using fish( in any form) to tempt food consumption is only a stop-gap measure and according to one vet, can not only rob the body of thiamine but its continued use can lead to UTI's.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal experience in using Kitty Kaviar or Wildside Salmon for over 3 years in one cat as an appetite stimulant (NOT every meal or every day, so keep that in mind) my crf fellow has not had a single UTI.

My knowledge of cyproheptadine (also called Periactin) is that this antihistamine can have undesireable side effects. I would personally, save this as a 'big gun' only to be used if no other attempts to stimulate appetite more naturally, without medication, does not work. If you'd like to know a bit more about this medication when used as an appetite stimulant and the possible side effects, click here and decide if you want to try it.

I am on a support list where a number of cats try this, for some it works extremely well, for others it leads to side effects that are less than enjoyable for cat or human.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

if tuna and acidopholis dont work , go to pet store and get Kitty kavier it is dried tuna flakes work everytime with Kandie
Well we tried some sardines tonight. Snubbed them but i made him eat some flakes. I have been force feeding him canned Natural balance as of last night.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If your cat has truly not eaten in a week you should call an emergency vet clinic and at least talk to someone about it. They get into a cycle of not eating and stay there because basically their body is feeding on itself and it gets very viscious quickly.
Hello. He has eaten in a week, just NOT what he should be eating. I started him last night force feeding him canned natural balance. I also went today and bought him chicken and rice purina. See the owner had told me she fed him Iams Original and Lamb and Rice. So the store only had original so that is what I bought. Now, the store didn't have any lamb and rice so I bought the closest thing - chicken and rice.

Well I put some of the purina C&R in a bowl and he stuck his nose right in it and started munching. Let's HOPE he'll start eating now. However, I'm calling the vet tomorrow.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fluffysimba

Well I put some of the purina C&R in a bowl and he stuck his nose right in it and started munching. Let's HOPE he'll start eating now. However, I'm calling the vet tomorrow.
well that's a bit of an improvement. I agree re still calling the vet tomorrow. Please keep us posted?

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your tips and support. This is tough!!! I have NEVER had a cat NOT want to eat. I didn't know it could happen...I have always had cats that were more than willing to eat - uh - anything! lol

But as I said, I've been force feeding him some canned and he tolerates it well. I'm hoping the new food that was similar to one of his earlier foods will help him begin eating. I'll keep everyone posted as to how the little guy is doing.
Wanted to add that I live in a very small town and our choice of pet supplies is a local pet store and Wal-mart. So what can I find to help him from Wal-mart?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fluffysimba

Wanted to add that I live in a very small town and our choice of pet supplies is a local pet store and Wal-mart. So what can I find to help him from Wal-mart?
Ack, I'm not familiar with what they have. I can check their website tomorrow and see what they list for pet stuff. In the meantime, depending on what this cat will respond to..there is trying baby food meat - turkey or beef (just check the label to be sure it is onion free), or boiling up some chicken and giving that once it's cooled in thin slices or diced (plus offering the cooled broth).