Help! new cat attacks old cat

rubylizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have read all that i can find on here and elsewhere about introducing cats to each other.
But after trying everything, nothing is working.

We have an older female tortie who i will call cat A, and are trying to adopt a stray that turned up on the porch (cat B). Cat B has been to the vet and is fine. she is a year and something old and is a tortie point siamese mix. Cat A is about 9 years old.
feliway plugins and spray are in use. room swapping, separations, etc....rubbing cloths on both cats to swap scents....have a screen door in between cat B's area and have had cat B in the house for about a month now.

whenever we let them meet, cat B seeks out cat A and goes directly for attack now. they used to stare each other down, but now cat B just goes in for full on, growling, hissing fur flying, tumbling scary fight. cat A is HORRIFIED....
tried to let them meet again last night and cat A was on top of the back of the couch and cat B came directly to her and jumped directly at her and got into a fur flying fight. instantly.

is there anything we can do? or does cat B need to find a new home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubylizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we've tried different intervals. a day apart to a week and some... not sure what to do. we don't want either of them to get hurt

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering the level of aggression you're describing, I think you would do best to give them a long separation and then try again. I would wait at least a month but I suspect they'll need longer than that. The new cat has learned to attack when she sees your existing cat. It will take some time to unlearn that behavior. Is the new cat fixed yet? If not, that will help. Also, have you tried bathing them in the same shampoo so they smell similar? What about Feliway? Have you tried it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubylizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, feliway is in action.

bathing the cats....hahahahahahah....sorry. these cats would not deal with that at all.

apparently these two must be rare since there aren't too many things i can find anywhere that are about this problem.