Help Needed to Identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought this 5kg male cat age 2 years according to the previous owner.

image link https://picasaweb.google.com/skmdmas...MALEApr222011#

He is a big cat, very polite and gentle, eats and drinks a lot lol

Can anyone please help to identify what mix bread is the cat. The owner claims it a persian but i say its a maine coon mix persian. There are no papers or any previous record.

How can i guess his age any idea??

Thanks and Regards
Masud.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'd had to say between MCO and Persian, I'd say he's more likely a Persian mix. The head shape and size are more closer to a Persian than Maine Coon (I can't see any Coon in him), but without any papers to prove that his parents are of any breed, all I can say is that he's a domestic longhair. Clearly not a purebred and seems to be in bit of a rough shape.

Congratulations of a new cat (assuming you just got him).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

If I'd had to say between MCO and Persian, I'd say he's more likely a Persian mix. The head shape and size are more closer to a Persian than Maine Coon (I can't see any Coon in him), but without any papers to prove that his parents are of any breed, all I can say is that he's a domestic longhair. Clearly not a purebred and seems to be in bit of a rough shape.

Congratulations of a new cat (assuming you just got him).
I agree with NorthernGlow.
Age? Best way to know is to ask the vet (Vets are looking at their teeths.).
when you are doing the customary veterinary check up. Like all new cats at your household should have. And not least, perhaps this one, which IS looking a little rough shape. Is he neutered? If not, do it. If somebody sayed he is a tom I wouldnt be surprised. The broad face looks not only persian-alike, but also tom-alike. Or Tom-ish.

Also follow up on all shots, if the previous owner didnt it scropulously. If he did, the cat may need some reshots.

Good luck, and much pleasure with your new furry household-member!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the first picture, it's fairly obvious he is a tom
. So, yes, have him neutered before he gets any big ideas about spraying all over your house! I don't see any Maine Coon, but he doesn't look like a purebred Persian either. He probably has some Persian in his background, but I would just say he's a domestic longhair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys..
I bought him yesterday. He is in a bit rough shape. I am working on it. What do you mean by TOM cat.

I dont plan to fix him, i have some breeding plan in mind.

Do male cat act like female cat when they are in heat like rubbing.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^By TOM he means a male which is not neutered. That cat does not look like it should be bred, he has some health issues and if you have other cats you should realize he might have something contagious (looks like ear mites atleast?). And you shouldn't be breeding mixed breed cats just for the fun of it anyway.. sorry if I'm coming out a bit harsh. May I ask why are you planning on breeding?

If he has some Persian in the background, you should test him for PKD, and obviously for FeLV and FIV before you can even consider mating him with a female. And I can tell you it's not cheap.. If you suspect there might be Maine Coon in him, you need to test him for HCM too. And of course the female needs to be tested too.

Male cats don't have heats, they are able to breed all the time.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very sad and sick looking cat. Please, take him to the vet, get his health problems taken care of and have him neutered. And don't for goodness sakes, breed him. Have the female spayed, also.

You will not make money by breeding cats. Kittens and vet bills are very expensive. Spay and neuter now and save yourself a lot of expense, and save the health of these two cats, and save the world from more unwanted cats.

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
In Bangladesh long hair cat's a.k.a persian lol
are very rare. there are no longhair cat breeder in fact there are not cat breed. Situation is very different here.

there are 2 vets for pets in BD they dont even have xray machines so you can forget about FIV tests etc.. both my cats are vaccinated. I am planing to start a cattery with few more cats.

There are people who wants long hair cats and i will try my best to educate them and deliver with honesty.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously there are long haired cats there, since you are showing a picture of one.

That cat is sick and should not be used for breeding. I hope you will rethink this cattery idea and let your cats be cats, not breeding machines.

If you intend to be a breeder you need to do a lot more research and learn a lot more about genetics and health and cat care. Aspiring breeders usually mentor with an established experienced reputable breeder for a long time before attempting it themselves. Spend another year or so educating yourself first.

What you are planning is a kitten mill. This is not a good thing.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
As others have said, please get your cat spayed. There are too many stray cats in this world to just randomly allow cats to breed.

A reminder of the Forum Rules:

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only top quality registered purebreds should be used in a breeding program. Obviously he is NOT a purebred, so he never should be bred for any excuse. he's got a more Persian type (from the head) then a Maine Coon.

Lovely red classic tabby, but call the vet and have him neutered immediately.

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Guys
I understand why neutering is important but where I stand the situation is different there are lots of people who wants DLH. In other words the kittens will go to good loving homes.

Obviously there are long haired cats there, since you are showing a picture of one.
it took me over 6 months to find my first DLH cat Fifi she was in a terrible condition. Search my precious posts and have a look yourself. She is now in great shape all she wants is play play and play

How long will it take you(members from developed country) to find a DLH ??? I guess an hour or so

My new male cats why is he not in a good condition??? i blame the vets all they seek is $$$. Most pet owner depend on what the vet says, owners need to be educated and guided.

Aspiring breeders usually mentor with an established experienced reputable breeder for a long time before attempting it themselves.
I wish i had this opportunity.

Spend another year or so educating yourself first.
I am studying for some time now...

Regards..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only is this NOT a purebred, but you have NO clue as to the genetic background in this cat or what may be passed on. The RESPONSIBLE thing to do is neuter him immediately. Believe me there is NO shortage of mixed kittens (long or short hair) out there in any country.

Its wrong to breed on purpose unless they are show cats in a legit breeding program. I've owned several outstanding mixes that would be very tempting to breed to see what you get or "cute" kittens - but I'm responsible and none of these cats ever had even ONE litter. Get him neutered.

dorothyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might not be the cat to breed, but not only pure-bred owners and buyers want kittens. If you know friends want kittens, have a litter. Your cat is a beauty. You're going to the vet and being responsible as to health and whatever other issues (feeding, general care) right? So love your cat, be responsible and hey people! this is about fun and love, not pedigree!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DorothyB

You're going to the vet and being responsible as to health and whatever other issues (feeding, general care) right? So love your cat, be responsible and hey people! this is about fun and love, not pedigree!
He already said earlier that he's not going to get the cat tested for any necessary things (PKD, FeLV, FIV..). I don't know why you would encourage someone to breed with a sick cat? (The cat in the pics definitely doesn't look very healthy).

*edit to add a quote of what the OP wrote*
you can forget about FIV tests etc.. both my cats are vaccinated. I am planing to start a cattery with few more cats.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DorothyB

This might not be the cat to breed, but not only pure-bred owners and buyers want kittens. If you know friends want kittens, have a litter. Your cat is a beauty. You're going to the vet and being responsible as to health and whatever other issues (feeding, general care) right? So love your cat, be responsible and hey people! this is about fun and love, not pedigree!
I strongly disagree with you, as does the official stance of this forum.

If the "friends" want kittens, they can go to any shelter and find them. Or any alley for that matter. There are already too many unwanted cats and kittens for people to be randomly "breeding for fun".

In fact anyone wanting to "experience birth" or "raising kittens" can probably volunteer at a shelter right now to foster a pregnant stray mama.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of us who DO breed and own quality purebreds, love them as much or better then any other owner that has a mixed breed cat. Most of us DO have both in the house and are treated the same whether they have a pedigree or not.

But we don't encourage any kind of irresponsible breeding of non-purebred show quality cats.

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To NorthernGlow
Please dont miss quote me. Read carefully before quoting
your quote
edit to add a quote of what the OP wrote*
Quote:
you can forget about FIV tests etc.. both my cats are vaccinated. I am planing to start a cattery with few more cats.....

He already said earlier that he's not going to get the cat tested for any necessary things (PKD, FeLV, FIV..).
My post
there are 2 vets for pets in BD they dont even have xray machines so you can forget about FIV tests etc..
to make this clear BD=Bangladesh

Please people i think we got every body's point. everyone has there own suggestions.

Breeding cats or neutering cats both ways I am not breaking my country's law. So its my openion my choice.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR SUCH BEAUTIFUL SUGGESTIONS.
I PRAY SUCCESS FOR EVERYONE.

THANKS AND REGARDS
skmdmasud.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^The basic tests (FIV & FeLV) I had mentioned are simple bloodtest, no xrays needed. PKD is taken from dna sample. I sent my cats' dna samples to USA, so your location doesn't really have much to do with this.
(And that quote was a direct copy+paste from what you had written).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We try and educate - some people refuse to take good solid advice from reputable breeders. We can't force the OP to spay/neuter but hopefully we can stop another one from breeding mixes on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.