Help needed, Ragdoll kitten panting

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all
I am new here seeking urgent advice
My mum has a 3 month old Ragdoll kitten
A few days ago the kitten started panting stomach going up and down and had a high temp of 41.8
Kitten was taken to the vet and was treated with antibiotic metacam and synulox injection
Kittens health did not improve but temp did go down
Kitten is still panting and was taken to vets the following day where they gave more antibiotic but still don’t know why she is panting so much
we are on day 5 now kitten is still panting loads but doesn’t have a temp any more. Kitten not eating or drinking and I am having to give her water and milk via syringe and some gravy mixed with water
Her eyes are normally blue but they are now a pale grey
Can anyone help me please? Or heard of this? Vets seem useless and don’t know what’s wrong with her and antibiotics don’t seem to be doing anything but making her worse
How to post a video of the panting?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was the kitten obtained from a breeder? If so, contact the breeder and ask if any kittens from previous litters experienced similar health issues. Most breeders have a health guarantee and will take back a sick kitten.

Is the kitten kept indoors only?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was the kitten obtained from a breeder? If so, contact the breeder and ask if any kittens from previous litters experienced similar health issues. Most breeders have a health guarantee and will take back a sick kitten.

Is the kitten kept indoors only?
She does go outside but only in the garden on the grass. I don’t believe the woman was a breeder but I’m sure if I asked about health issues previously she will say no.

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
Hello, I'm so sorry to hear this!

Did they take x-rays? Is she peeing, --without her eating a lot she's probably not pooping very much, but even a little during this timeperiod?

I had trouble loading a video until I trimmed it quite a lot.
How To Upload And Add Videos To Your Posts – TheCatSite Articles
They did not offer any x Ray, I just asked my mum if she is peeing or pooing will update when I get reply she is taking her for the 4th time to the vets today at 18:30.

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any idea what her gums look like? Discolored could mean an oxygen deficiency which is bad. Hopefully the vet will look elsewhere than the norm for possible causes.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittycatkat and welcome to the forum !

May I ask where you are located (by country) ?

Now, about that first veterinary visit, you said:
"Kitten was taken to the vet and was treated with antibiotic metacam and synulox injection"​
A couple of questions about that:
  1. For certainty, do you mean 3 separate injections ?
  2. If there were 3, can you find out the name of the first, the "antibiotic" ?
You certainly not expressing much confidence in this Veterinarian. In your general area, do you know if there any feline-only Hospitals/clinics/practices? If you aren't sure, just do a little searching ["cat-only vets in (your location)].

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kittycatkat and welcome to the forum !

May I ask where you are located (by country) ?

Now, about that first veterinary visit, you said:
"Kitten was taken to the vet and was treated with antibiotic metacam and synulox injection"​
A couple of questions about that:
  1. For certainty, do you mean 3 separate injections ?
  2. If there were 3, can you find out the name of the first, the "antibiotic" ?
You certainly not expressing much confidence in this Veterinarian. In your general area, do you know if there any feline-only Hospitals/clinics/practices? If you aren't sure, just do a little searching ["cat-only vets in (your location)].
Here is a photo of her medical history
0BAC8759-EADB-4C2B-8090-958551D463B4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten belongs to my mum she is based in purley in Surrey she’s lost faith with the vets because they don’t know what’s wrong with her and can’t give my mum any information

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mum has been to most of them around the area and they all seem the same. We are based in London. Have attached a photo of exactly what they gave her.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I am new here seeking urgent advice
My mum has a 3 month old Ragdoll kitten
A few days ago the kitten started panting stomach going up and down and had a high temp of 41.8
Kitten was taken to the vet and was treated with antibiotic metacam and synulox injection
Kittens health did not improve but temp did go down
Kitten is still panting and was taken to vets the following day where they gave more antibiotic but still don’t know why she is panting so much
we are on day 5 now kitten is still panting loads but doesn’t have a temp any more. Kitten not eating or drinking and I am having to give her water and milk via syringe and some gravy mixed with water
Her eyes are normally blue but they are now a pale grey
Can anyone help me please? Or heard of this? Vets seem useless and don’t know what’s wrong with her and antibiotics don’t seem to be doing anything but making her worse
How to post a video of the panting?
Hi
Sorry to hear. Take kitty to the ER vet NOW and ask for a chest xray to see if there is fluids
Ragdolls and ragamuffin cats are notorious for genetic heart disease called cardiac hypertrophy
its common in all fancy breeds.
They need to check kitty's lungs and heart.....to make sure he is not in heart failure
open mouth panting and stomach going in and out is signs of breathing problem which can be caused by fluids accumulating due to heart disease
please please go to ER vet and ask for this
My cat is a ragamuffin and I went through the same

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is definitely an emergency HR of 300 and RR of 44. Cats should be in lower RR than that....
please take the cat to an ER vet and ask them specifically to check her lungs and check for heart disease

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
kitten has been hospitalised and they will do a blood test and x-Ray they said they need to investigate as temp is high again but the vet said it’s not gaurenteed to get an answer as to why is this happening

kittycatkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

They want to put the kitten to sleep. After an X-Ray They said fluid in her lungs and in her stomach and it’s a virus and it can be transmitted to another cat. My mum is extremely upset.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

They want to put the kitten to sleep. After an X-Ray They said fluid in her lungs and in her stomach and it’s a virus and it can be transmitted to another cat. My mum is extremely upset.
I am so so sorry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATE:

:grouphug:

Feline leukemia, panleukopenia, or FIV? None of those viruses are good and are highly contagious to other cats.

I don’t believe the woman was a breeder but I’m sure if I asked about health issues previously she will say no.
Sounds like a backyard breeder who just want money even for unhealthy kittens. You should inform that person of the contagious virus the kitten has because other cats the person has or has already sold may also have it.

If your mom wants another purebred Ragdoll later, I'm sure one of the UK members here can suggest some UK web sites that list reputable breeders. TICA lists two breeders in England: Ragdoll Breeders