Help Needed - Is It Best To Rehome?

Misha11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I really need help as I'm at my wit's end. The post is lengthy; sorry for that.

10 months ago, I found a very sick kitten in the middle of the road - Misha. He must have been roughly 8 weeks. I nursed him back to health and decided to keep him. I have three dogs and only one of them didn't/doesn't really mind him. My hound thought he was a hare and my Malinois x would go berserk at the sight of him. It was okay while I was away at university but now I've been back for a few weeks and it is impossible to keep my Mal and Misha in the same room. She has a VERY strong prey drive and just won't leave him alone. She is not aggressive, but incredibly obnoxious. I have to keep him in a separate room and I feel really bad although I've been doing that every time I visit home and when I have class so he's used to it. I visit him throughout the day and he also gets out 2-3 times a day to wander while my dog's in a different room. I have another year of uni and then I'm going abroad to study. I want to take him with me but I'm not sure that's a particularly sustainable solution. It's a long time until October so should I just have him rehomed? He's a house cat and when he's out and about in the yard he hates leaving and gets really grumpy. Do you think he'll do well in a different home? He does not like other cats and not sure about dogs. He's very attached to me. Thank you in advance.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like for his own safety it might be better to find Misha a new home, unfortunately. I know you say the dogs aren't being aggressive, but even one badly timed snap could prove disastrous. Also it kind of sounds like an accident waiting to happen if the cat or dogs get loose or accidentally released at the wrong time. Unfortunately with some dogs the prey drive is just too strong, or is an intended part of the breed. If they weren't raised with cats or other small animals they likely wont be safe with them as adults.

I'm assuming that even if you did bring Misha along to study abroad then you would still be coming back to the dogs at some point. So really the problem would still be there when you got back, unless the dogs are old and would have passed away by then.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I really need help as I'm at my wit's end. The post is lengthy; sorry for that.

10 months ago, I found a very sick kitten in the middle of the road - Misha. He must have been roughly 8 weeks. I nursed him back to health and decided to keep him. I have three dogs and only one of them didn't/doesn't really mind him. My hound thought he was a hare and my Malinois x would go berserk at the sight of him. It was okay while I was away at university but now I've been back for a few weeks and it is impossible to keep my Mal and Misha in the same room. She has a VERY strong prey drive and just won't leave him alone. She is not aggressive, but incredibly obnoxious. I have to keep him in a separate room and I feel really bad although I've been doing that every time I visit home and when I have class so he's used to it. I visit him throughout the day and he also gets out 2-3 times a day to wander while my dog's in a different room. I have another year of uni and then I'm going abroad to study. I want to take him with me but I'm not sure that's a particularly sustainable solution. It's a long time until October so should I just have him rehomed? He's a house cat and when he's out and about in the yard he hates leaving and gets really grumpy. Do you think he'll do well in a different home? He does not like other cats and not sure about dogs. He's very attached to me. Thank you in advance.
What kind of training has the Malinois mix had, and what activities does she do?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M Misha11 I hope you'll return and update.
I didn't mean anything snarky with my last post questioning your MalX's training. We've had experience with Malinois before. They're kind of like owning a tiny little box car that runs on a V8 cylinder engine. Theey're not a large dog or (by sight) a powerful dog, but they ARE powerful and have a lot of energy. That energy is non stop. A hike with our dogs that will leave a very physically fit owner dragging, panting, and begging for mercy is a nice warm up for a Mal. They're amazing dogs (and SMART, damn, these dogs are hyper intelligent), but need more than a nice walk and some play time.
A friend of ours is a long time Malinois breeder/owner and has Malinois that work full time and train in bite work and this is activity is only enough to keep them tolerable....NOT tired. Malinois are like Chuck Norris. They don't sleep...they wait =D
This person has also said that a 2 hour hike (that will tire out even the most active dog) will get a Malinois warmed up at best, which is part of my concern for your situation.
These dogs NEED activity, constant. They're not recommended as pets, even as mixes, and I have no doubt that you're doing all you can to keep the peace. Sometimes these dogs are pet dogs and are in pet homes. I'm not saying "get rid of your dog" but am wondering if some physical and mental activity for a very active and very clever dog wouldn't help the situation before you decide to rehome.

Even with tons of exercise, these Mals are probably one of the smartest breeds out there (Border Collie person here, so that should tell you something!) and mixes of Mals with whatever are no different. They're bright, they're intelligent, they're thinkers to the point they'll blow any good Border Collie, Standard Poodle, or German Shepherd out of the water with their ability and are super hard to maintain but it CAN be done.

Do an internet search for training clubs in your area. The dog should learn and know a solid, bomb proof "come" and "leave it". The cat is yours. They MUST know and respect this. The dog is yours. They MUST know and respect this as well....owner knows best. If your dog is pestering the cat, the dog should understand what that means, and respect you enough to realize a "leave it" is not something to blow off. If you find a training club that uses common sense training based on positive methods, I'd contact them.
Consider doing canine nosework. Do obedience training for competitive levels. Check out videos from Denise Fenzi and Michael Ellis (for basic training and training for certain drives and evaluating those things) and Kiko pup, a personal favorite for teaching otherwise silly "pet tricks" that are a nice foundation for basic behaviors.

There is nothing out there I hate more than dogs and cats that are having issues and owners that feel that tension. No one asked for this. It can be done if you're willing to do the work. It sounds like a LOT of work (which it is, at first) but after awhile it's second nature, and you enjoy a calm cat, a nice dog that listens to you, and a peaceful house hold where the threat of rehoming is not an issue anymore.

For now, I would defineitely keep all separated when you're not around. This isn't an issue of "your dog might be aggressive". This is an issue of a large-ish dog that might do harm, unintentionally, to a cat when you're not around. We have, and have had, large dogs, small dogs, cats, and livestock and you bet they're not freely left together when we're not home!!! Crates, or ex pens, or separation by doors can be a good way to set your mind at ease
For this dog, if they like food, a puzzle toy (or a few) might be good. Kongs, Buster Cubes, etc. can offer a dog a long lasting "snack" while you're away.
What's cool is there are companies offering cats the same thing!
Wishing you nothing but the best =)

Again, I hope my earlier reply didn't come off as snotty as I do not mean any ill feelings, honest.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The Malinois breed is extremely intelligent and often high strung. They are one of four different types of Belgian shepherds or sheepdogs. They usually do best with other pets when they are raised with them as a puppy. However, they can be taught appropriate behavior, it just takes a lot of consistency and effort on your part. When I first introduced our full grown German Shepherd dog to our cat I had him on a leash for safety reasons. They did become best of friends but it took time and supervision.

Do you know what other breed the Malinois is mixed with? Since they are a herding breed they require a fair amount of both physical and mental exercise as well as having a job to do. Here is an Article on introducing dogs and cats that I hope you find helpful:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

Thank you for rescuing Misha and nursing him back to health. :goldstar: I can tell you are very fond of him and want to do what's best for all your pets. Is it possible to rotate him being out of the room on a regular basis? Is there someone else at home to walk and exercise your dogs? This would be a good time to let Misha out of your room and play with him. I know you mentioned taking him out of your room when the dogs are in a separate room but how do the dogs react to being confined? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to come up with a workable solution for all of you. Best of luck! :goodluck:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misha -- please keep us updated. Thank you for rescuing the kitten, and your current concern for his safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misha11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like for his own safety it might be better to find Misha a new home, unfortunately. I know you say the dogs aren't being aggressive, but even one badly timed snap could prove disastrous. Also it kind of sounds like an accident waiting to happen if the cat or dogs get loose or accidentally released at the wrong time. Unfortunately with some dogs the prey drive is just too strong, or is an intended part of the breed. If they weren't raised with cats or other small animals they likely wont be safe with them as adults.

I'm assuming that even if you did bring Misha along to study abroad then you would still be coming back to the dogs at some point. So really the problem would still be there when you got back, unless the dogs are old and would have passed away by then.
I'm always around and although this is my first cat, I made sure to introduce them slowly. My hound doesn't care about him that much anymore. My Mal understands he is small and she is very gentle around him. She has never snarled or snapped at anyone and Misha asks to play with her all the time. He's never even hissed at her. When she's upstairs near his room, he won't stop meowing until he gets to play with her. It's just that she's like a hyperactive child. She has so much energy she can't sit her butt down for a second :biggrin: The problem is she does not understand that she shouldn't chase him when he runs away or stop paying him attention at some point and just let him be. That stresses him out.

Misha11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M Misha11 I hope you'll return and update.
I didn't mean anything snarky with my last post questioning your MalX's training. We've had experience with Malinois before. They're kind of like owning a tiny little box car that runs on a V8 cylinder engine. Theey're not a large dog or (by sight) a powerful dog, but they ARE powerful and have a lot of energy. That energy is non stop. A hike with our dogs that will leave a very physically fit owner dragging, panting, and begging for mercy is a nice warm up for a Mal. They're amazing dogs (and SMART, damn, these dogs are hyper intelligent), but need more than a nice walk and some play time.
A friend of ours is a long time Malinois breeder/owner and has Malinois that work full time and train in bite work and this is activity is only enough to keep them tolerable....NOT tired. Malinois are like Chuck Norris. They don't sleep...they wait =D
This person has also said that a 2 hour hike (that will tire out even the most active dog) will get a Malinois warmed up at best, which is part of my concern for your situation.
These dogs NEED activity, constant. They're not recommended as pets, even as mixes, and I have no doubt that you're doing all you can to keep the peace. Sometimes these dogs are pet dogs and are in pet homes. I'm not saying "get rid of your dog" but am wondering if some physical and mental activity for a very active and very clever dog wouldn't help the situation before you decide to rehome.

Even with tons of exercise, these Mals are probably one of the smartest breeds out there (Border Collie person here, so that should tell you something!) and mixes of Mals with whatever are no different. They're bright, they're intelligent, they're thinkers to the point they'll blow any good Border Collie, Standard Poodle, or German Shepherd out of the water with their ability and are super hard to maintain but it CAN be done.

Do an internet search for training clubs in your area. The dog should learn and know a solid, bomb proof "come" and "leave it". The cat is yours. They MUST know and respect this. The dog is yours. They MUST know and respect this as well....owner knows best. If your dog is pestering the cat, the dog should understand what that means, and respect you enough to realize a "leave it" is not something to blow off. If you find a training club that uses common sense training based on positive methods, I'd contact them.
Consider doing canine nosework. Do obedience training for competitive levels. Check out videos from Denise Fenzi and Michael Ellis (for basic training and training for certain drives and evaluating those things) and Kiko pup, a personal favorite for teaching otherwise silly "pet tricks" that are a nice foundation for basic behaviors.

There is nothing out there I hate more than dogs and cats that are having issues and owners that feel that tension. No one asked for this. It can be done if you're willing to do the work. It sounds like a LOT of work (which it is, at first) but after awhile it's second nature, and you enjoy a calm cat, a nice dog that listens to you, and a peaceful house hold where the threat of rehoming is not an issue anymore.

For now, I would defineitely keep all separated when you're not around. This isn't an issue of "your dog might be aggressive". This is an issue of a large-ish dog that might do harm, unintentionally, to a cat when you're not around. We have, and have had, large dogs, small dogs, cats, and livestock and you bet they're not freely left together when we're not home!!! Crates, or ex pens, or separation by doors can be a good way to set your mind at ease
For this dog, if they like food, a puzzle toy (or a few) might be good. Kongs, Buster Cubes, etc. can offer a dog a long lasting "snack" while you're away.
What's cool is there are companies offering cats the same thing!
Wishing you nothing but the best =)

Again, I hope my earlier reply didn't come off as snotty as I do not mean any ill feelings, honest.
Your reply did not come off as snotty at all and thank you for your informative comment! I've had her for about 2,5 years now and boy are they a handful indeed! Mine is a GSD X Malinois cross and comes from a shelter. Poor thing was scared to death in there and when I got her, I was only told she's a GSD x Malinois cross and that she'll just need a lot of exercise. If only I knew what I was getting into :/. I was told nothing about the breed. I was not told that she will be hyperactive and a dog that will need serious training, I was not told that shelter puppies may grow to be fearful or very attached to their families etc. It's a crap shelter though so not surprised. I've tried two trainers who could not properly work with her and treated her like they'd treat a poodle or something. I truly wish I could explore her potential as a police dog by having her do nosework or try schutzhund but nothing like that is available in my country. We're still working on her training and she does get a lot of exercise. I'll contact a behaviourist this summer because I really want her to be the best dog she can be. She does love Misha though. He's her little pet but like you said, she may unintentionally harm him although she is very gentle around him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your reply did not come off as snotty at all and thank you for your informative comment! I've had her for about 2,5 years now and boy are they a handful indeed! Mine is a GSD X Malinois cross and comes from a shelter. Poor thing was scared to death in there and when I got her, I was only told she's a GSD x Malinois cross and that she'll just need a lot of exercise. If only I knew what I was getting into :/. I was told nothing about the breed. I was not told that she will be hyperactive and a dog that will need serious training, I was not told that shelter puppies may grow to be fearful or very attached to their families etc. It's a crap shelter though so not surprised. I've tried two trainers who could not properly work with her and treated her like they'd treat a poodle or something. I truly wish I could explore her potential as a police dog by having her do nosework or try schutzhund but nothing like that is available in my country. We're still working on her training and she does get a lot of exercise. I'll contact a behaviourist this summer because I really want her to be the best dog she can be. She does love Misha though. He's her little pet but like you said, she may unintentionally harm him although she is very gentle around him.
You don't have to answer but what country are you in? Sometimes these types of trainers do stuff on the side (they have a 9-5 job and do this as an add on) and they don't advertise because they don't want to be overwhelmed.
Check out some stuff by the trainers I spoke of. They have blogs, you tube videos, etc. that are very informative. Even if your dog doesn't ever compete, learning is mind work. Physical running and jogging is GREAT but 10 minutes of working their brains is like 30 minutes of running IME. They work these kinds of dogs and know the difference between working a dog based on their drives and temperament, and don't lump soft or sensitive dogs in with dogs that are hard and sharp.
While not a service dog, one of our friends taught their dog many service tasks for the convenience of it all and the training and puzzle solving stuff it takes. The dog can turn lights on and off, pick things up (from coins to large objects) and bring them to her, etc.
This kind of training will blow the bond you share now up by about 100 million points! Teaching them to problem solve and be obedient is excellent fun and the rewards show!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing to keep in mind is that (usually) GSD's are much more thinkers than Mals. A good GSD will watch the situation and think it over before reacting, and most Mals (and not so great GSD's) will react first and think later, so the cross of these two can be good or bad or something in between.
The fact that your girl has shown "drivey" interest in the cat but has never done anything to harm is encouraging but something to watch of course. And herding breeds are obsessive about all stuff they feel is worth obsessing over which is why you see so many herding dogs "herding" (circling/chasing/barking/biting) at kids on bikes, skates, kids rough housing, dogs who hate it when their owners hug and will get between with nippy behavior and dogs who get light/shadow obsessed to the point their quality of life diminishes. There are a lot of herding breeds (especially hard core dogs bred for work and drive, and dogs bred for sport) that can't be near the ring at an agility trial when other dogs run, because a dog exploding off the start line, jumping, climbing, weaving, etc. is too much visual stimulus. They go insane and think they need to get out there and bring that crazy dog under control like they would a naughty ewe or a steer being a jerk. Border Collies in particular use that "strong eye" and stare at things. They stare at dogs that are running, walking, lying down, stretching, they stare at cats, cars, horses, sheep, cattle, house flies, you name it.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm always around and although this is my first cat, I made sure to introduce them slowly. My hound doesn't care about him that much anymore. My Mal understands he is small and she is very gentle around him. She has never snarled or snapped at anyone and Misha asks to play with her all the time. He's never even hissed at her. When she's upstairs near his room, he won't stop meowing until he gets to play with her. It's just that she's like a hyperactive child. She has so much energy she can't sit her butt down for a second :biggrin: The problem is she does not understand that she shouldn't chase him when he runs away or stop paying him attention at some point and just let him be. That stresses him out.
I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood the situation. I thought you meant the dogs were going after the cat. In this case, yeah I agree with the others in saying maybe something like a very tall and sturdy cat tree or even wall shelves that the cat can climb on might help. It will allow Misha to escape the reach of the dog when he has had enough but still be able to observe the dogs. If it's possible a cat walk near the ceiling might help so Misha can go around the room without being harassed.

I know with my rottie mix (rottweiler/German shepherd/Akita to be exact) when I first got him he was about 10 months and loved cats, but was so very very hyper. He has learned over time that if he wants the cats to come to him he has to calm down. It's taken years, but some of the cats will go up to him now, and even nap in the sun with him. I have two other dogs so my cats do like dogs, but the high intensity can be a bit much. If you are able to find a "job" for your mal mix I think that would help a lot to curb the intensity.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood the situation. I thought you meant the dogs were going after the cat. In this case, yeah I agree with the others in saying maybe something like a very tall and sturdy cat tree or even wall shelves that the cat can climb on might help. It will allow Misha to escape the reach of the dog when he has had enough but still be able to observe the dogs. If it's possible a cat walk near the ceiling might help so Misha can go around the room without being harassed.

I know with my rottie mix (rottweiler/German shepherd/Akita to be exact) when I first got him he was about 10 months and loved cats, but was so very very hyper. He has learned over time that if he wants the cats to come to him he has to calm down. It's taken years, but some of the cats will go up to him now, and even nap in the sun with him. I have two other dogs so my cats do like dogs, but the high intensity can be a bit much. If you are able to find a "job" for your mal mix I think that would help a lot to curb the intensity.
I knew a gal years ago that had a dog and a cat and the dog was being pushy and somewhat aggressive with the cat. She refused to do any kind of separation and came home to a blood trail through her house with a very injured cat hiding behind the washer/dryer. The cat did in fact survive the injuries. She refused to consider crating the dog or keeping the dog in a separate area of the house and it happened again. The dog was immediately euthanized.
I'm not saying this as a scare tactic but I would use the options of crates, ex pens, sturdy doors as a back up and high shelves for a cat, ALL inclusive, if I had dogs that were too interested in cats. Dogs do what they do, cats run, dogs chase, and if a dogs prey drive kicks in the cat is hurt/killed. This happens WAY too often =(
Talk to serious terrier people, or Husky people. Not people who have owned a pet terrier at a time for 20 years, or had a Husky as a kid once, but people who are SERIOUSLY involved in these breeds. There have been one too many Husky or Terrier owners that have a dog that gets so well along with their cats and one day come home to a dead cat. It's horrifying to think of. I'm paranoid and err on the side of caution.
Even if there's no "real" aggression on the part of the dog, a playful grab or a swipe of the paw from a very large dog can hurt/scare/injure a cat.
When we're not home our house dogs aren't free with our cats. I don't fear aggression as they're very good friends but I've seen my dogs go after another one of my dogs, that they've lived with in harmony for YEARS, if a freak accident happens. Our neighbors dog got his toenail caught in a furnace vent register (on the ground) and was screaming/flipping to get free and their other dog attacked him, the dogs lived quite well together but when that screaming/flipping happened, it's like instinct took over. One of my own dogs suffered a seizure once, and the dog I had at the time that was almost like my child attacked this dog.
Dogs are delightful but they're very weird. If one of my cats got injured, a claw stuck or something I don't want to tempt it. I've just seen way too much I guess.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out OK. I have heard of people owning/running sheep pens just for herding dogs to herd. You might look into those types of services and see if there is anything like that nearby? Places like this:
Fido's Farm - Fun and Fitness for Both Ends of the Leash! Dog boarding, dog daycare, dog training, dog sports and activities, off leash frolic on 80 acres!

I grew up with Norwegian Elkhounds which have a HIGH prey drive. There is no way I would leave one unattended with my cats, ever. If the dog was properly trained I would let them be in the room together with supervision. That said my mom successfully had her cats and Krissie, her very well behaved Norwegian Elkhound together for years until the divorce when she took the cats. I would take it in baby steps after you find a way to tire out your dog physically & mentally. I would also invest in tons of cat shelves. I might even build my cat a superhighway so he could go all around the rooms without ever touching the ground. Finally I would start training my dogs to not enter one room. Let that be the cat's room. Why? Dogs sometimes bug cats while they use the restroom & everyone needs space sometimes. Plus it keeps the dogs out of the cat food.

Misha11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me with this. I will try to create a better, more comfortable environment for every one of my pets following your advice. Misha sends you all a big paws up! :hyper::hyper::hyper: