Help!!! Need urgent help - cat with unknown problem!!!

rachelmfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There

I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester who is currently suffering from an unknown illness.

He is a very very intelligent cat, he has been allowed outdoors whenever he feels like it and has hunted mice/birds in the past also.

Around 1 year ago he started to sit with one of his back legs facing outward - we noticed this immediately however as nothing had changed in him apart from this - we let it go. However, around 2 months ago, his condition started to deteriorate rapidly.

He now has very weak, slow back legs. He has a dip in his spine around the hip area and very thin hips. Over the past 2-3 months he has also developed a twitch which is gradually getting worse. His twitches are extremely bad whenever he starts drinking his water. He was previously a very tall, large (not overweight) but big boned cat. Bigger than a Jack Russell dog. We have been taking him back and fourth to the vet (he has had the same vet since he was born - she knows him very well) for around 3 months now.

He has been prescribed Loxicom and J/D food for arthritis. However, after multiple appointments he is now off Loxicom and taking a steroid and some Lactulose to help him go to the toilet. He has been fed only on Hills Science Plan dry food all his life and Gourmet wet food aswell and drinks a lot of fresh water, so he is very healthy. We take him for 3/4 walks on his lead a day (as the vet suggested that his days of venturing on his own are over) or whenever he sits by the door waiting to get out we take him a walk - this increases his appetite a bit more too and stimulates him to do the toilet. We actually have a kennel made for him and his brother (who is now blind) so that they can still get outside as they love the fresh air.

Recently we have been feeding him cat milk and more wet food to help him go to the toilet. However when he does go to the toilet for a poo, just after he is done he falls over in his litter tray almost as if his back legs have given up. Very recently, only a few days ago he has started to have less of an appetite. He is still sipping him milk and eating one or two cubes of hard food and 1 or 2 licks of wet food but apart from that, nothing else. I cant even tempt him on his favourite treat - tuna.

The vet has checked his blood results twice, both indepth, and we have been shown the results and all vital organs and blood work are fine and in great health - except an enzyme in his liver but neither of the 4 vets at the practice seen this as any problem. He has been tested for Hyperthyroidism and kidney problems - everything came back clear. His reflexes were tested and is showing very weak reactions in his back legs. He was given an enema to help releave his bladder and get rid of some poo inside him - just incase he was blocked up inside.

The vets have even giving him holistic medical help too - he has had 4 sessions of reiki which has helped him to sleep much better and walk a little better whereas before his twitching was keeping him awake all night and at one point he scared himself in his sleep because of a large twitch. He has also had 2 sessions of acupuncture.

We cannot put him under anaesthetic for X-Rays as he is actually allergic to anaesthetic and 5/6 years ago he had a tumour between his shoulder blades and after surgery he almost didn't wake up and come out of it. Our vet does not want to risk this again even though medicine has moved on. We trust our vet and is the only one who knows him well enough to make any judgement. however just to be sure, like you would with your own health, we have seeked the opinion of 2 other vets too. Tonight we are going back to the vets but to try and convince her to X-Ray him without sedation.

We think this might be neurological however we don't know if this would cause his back legs to be as weak as they are. One vet also agreed that this could possibly be neurological. The nearest Neurological clinic for animals is 4 hours away in Glasgow (I live in the Aberdeenshire area of Scotland). We would take him here but think it could be too stressful a journey for him. But if needs must, it will be done to help him. However we have tried out best to get information from them.

Could this be a slipped disc? or trapped nerves? Diabetic neuropathy? A viral tumour?? Its not just 'old age' which some vets have put it down too. I refuse to believe that. His mind is still very active and old age doesn't just deteriorate the body like the way his has deteriorated.

Any help would be very very much appreciated - any treatment suggestions would also be appreciated - no matter the cost. Money is no object when it comes to the life of our Sylvester. Although he is on steroids and pain relief and medicine to help him go to the toilet and relax his nerves - we feel he isn't actually being treated for anything at the moment.

Im sorry for the long post, I am just at a dead end as to how to help him?

Thank you

Rachel x

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that developed seizures. A couple of times she lost control of her back legs for an hour or so. Sounds like you amay be re right about it being neurological.

My Vet didn't sedate my cat when taking x-rays. Unless he is impossible, I would pursue  this to rule out anything visible to the x-ray. 

I don't think milk is good for cats and can cause constipation. Have you talked to the vet about an appetite stimulant?

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelmfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I had a cat that developed seizures. A couple of times she lost control of her back legs for an hour or so. Sounds like you amay be re right about it being neurological.

My Vet didn't sedate my cat when taking x-rays. Unless he is impossible, I would pursue  this to rule out anything visible to the x-ray. 

I don't think milk is good for cats and can cause constipation. Have you talked to the vet about an appetite stimulant?

Good luck
Yes, she has given us all the direction we need regarding food. Cat milk was suggested so that he could put some weight on, as he seems to be losing it rapidly. A mix of wet and dry food was suggested too

He is also an incredibly tolerant cat, never has ever scratched anything or anyone in his life - even lets his brother cat win in all the play fights - and we have been trying to persuade her over and over again to let her X-Ray him by just holding him down. He wouldn't be any problem at all.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rachel x

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Rachel,

I don't have much in the way of insight into your problem but know, to some extent, what you are going through.  My cat developed an involuntary leg twitch around Christmas and the vet ran all sorts of tests but couldn't find anything wrong.  He didn't have weakness or loss of appetite like your cat though.  The twitch has gone away but he has developed an obsessive licking thing and the other night he had a bad attack where he ran around the house licking himself and freaking out.  I am wondering about some sort of neurological thing as well.  One thing that seemed to help my cat's leg twitch when he had it was wrapping a warm rice bag around him.  I wish you I could offer you more help.

rachelmfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi Rachel,

I don't have much in the way of insight into your problem but know, to some extent, what you are going through.  My cat developed an involuntary leg twitch around Christmas and the vet ran all sorts of tests but couldn't find anything wrong.  He didn't have weakness or loss of appetite like your cat though.  The twitch has gone away but he has developed an obsessive licking thing and the other night he had a bad attack where he ran around the house licking himself and freaking out.  I am wondering about some sort of neurological thing as well.  One thing that seemed to help my cat's leg twitch when he had it was wrapping a warm rice bag around him.  I wish you I could offer you more help.
Hi There

It does seem neurological with your boy. I really hope you get to the bottom of whats wrong with him. I did read that if they lick themselves it is the only way that they can relieve themselves of neurological problems.

My cat actually still has an appetite but just seems to be losing weight. before you couldn't see his hips and now they are very prominent.

Thanks for contacting me x

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why is your Vet opposed to doing an Xray on him?  Is she afraid of YOU being exposed to the xray by holding him?  What about an ultra sound?  Would that work? 

Also, I'm wondering if you could give him Peg 3350 (that's what it is in Canada and some european countries, I believe) to help soften his stools?  Here in the U.S. it's called Miralax and many of us use it on our cats for constipation.  It works like a stool softener and really helps them with their elimination because they don't have to struggle and strain so much.  You just mix a tiny bit, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in 1/2 teaspoon of water and add it to their wet food.  It's odorless and doesn't gel up so they don't even know it's there. 

If he still has an appetite but is losing weight, maybe it's time to find a higher calorie wet food, along with the addition of the cat milk, or try adding egg yolks to his food.  Those are full of good nutrients, AND calories.  Some cats love them, some not so much
.  You can try them raw or slightly cooked.  You might try just a partial yolk first so you don't overwhelm him. 

I love the idea of the accupuncture and reiki.  Wil they also do actual chiropractic treatments on him, if need be?  IF he has a slipped disc, that might be necessary.  Maybe THEY would xray him?  Is that a mobile unit that does the holistic treatments? 

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he should def have xrays done. My vet only sedates for xrays when they get really aggressive. I'm not sure what meds they have available over there but my one cat Cali has severe arthritis in her lower spine and gets weekly adequan injections and a drug called gabapentin that is supposed to help with nerve pain. Those 2 things together really help her and she no longer has any weakness. If it is some type of neuropathy you could try supplementing B12 which is supposed to really help with nerve function. Of course you should ask your vet first though. I had another cat with weakness in her hind end and it ended up being low potassium which was easily fixed with supplements. I would ask your vet if they checked his potassium. Low potassium can also cause twitching.

rachelmfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Why is your Vet opposed to doing an Xray on him?  Is she afraid of YOU being exposed to the xray by holding him?  What about an ultra sound?  Would that work? 

Also, I'm wondering if you could give him Peg 3350 (that's what it is in Canada and some european countries, I believe) to help soften his stools?  Here in the U.S. it's called Miralax and many of us use it on our cats for constipation.  It works like a stool softener and really helps them with their elimination because they don't have to struggle and strain so much.  You just mix a tiny bit, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in 1/2 teaspoon of water and add it to their wet food.  It's odorless and doesn't gel up so they don't even know it's there. 

If he still has an appetite but is losing weight, maybe it's time to find a higher calorie wet food, along with the addition of the cat milk, or try adding egg yolks to his food.  Those are full of good nutrients, AND calories.  Some cats love them, some not so much
.  You can try them raw or slightly cooked.  You might try just a partial yolk first so you don't overwhelm him. 

I love the idea of the accupuncture and reiki.  Wil they also do actual chiropractic treatments on him, if need be?  IF he has a slipped disc, that might be necessary.  Maybe THEY would xray him?  Is that a mobile unit that does the holistic treatments? 
We have no idea why our vet and the other 4 vets in the area that we have tried all disagree to X-Rays without anaesthetic. We have tried our hardest to persuade them. It could be the type of machinery we use here? I don't know, they just all think we wont be able to do it. None have even tried. Our vet has done her hardest to help him, the X-Ray is the only thing she is opposed to doing.  Even if we found something in the X-Ray, he is too old to operate and far too sensitive to anaesthetic to survive the operation.

Sylvester is back eating normally again - maybe it was just a bad day. Hes back with HIs head firmly in the food bowl thankfully and after visiting the vet yesterday evening he has been taken off steroids and put back on Loxicom as well as Hypovase and Dantrum and a supplement called metvet. The vet believes there is a problem with his spine, may it be a slipped disc or something.

Yes the holistic treatment is given by a vet who comes to our home to perform it, otherwise we would be traveling an hour to the nearest veterinary centre that performs this each week and an hour back.
I think he should def have xrays done. My vet only sedates for xrays when they get really aggressive. I'm not sure what meds they have available over there but my one cat Cali has severe arthritis in her lower spine and gets weekly adequan injections and a drug called gabapentin that is supposed to help with nerve pain. Those 2 things together really help her and she no longer has any weakness. If it is some type of neuropathy you could try supplementing B12 which is supposed to really help with nerve function. Of course you should ask your vet first though. I had another cat with weakness in her hind end and it ended up being low potassium which was easily fixed with supplements. I would ask your vet if they checked his potassium. Low potassium can also cause twitching.
We also think he need X-Rays, however we just cant get a vet to do one without anaesthetic. We have 1 more vet we can try and its our only hope. I live in the Aberdeenshire area of Scotland and each Vet centre is quite a distance between eachother.

Thanks a lot for the advice on the medication - I have written it down and will suggest this to my vet. In 1 months time we are getting toxicology tests as his last blood test was taken 3 weeks ago and wont show any changes. Hopefully when I return to this thread I'll have better news about him.

Thanks a lot

Rachel x

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound neurological to me. I have a friend who got diagnosed with a neuropathy, and she said the litany of tests lasted 6 months, so you may want to do some research as to what kinds of test might be involved and whether or not it is feasible. Otherwise acupuncture has been known to remedy walking disorders.

Miralax does the same thing as lactulose. Most people who use Miralax prefer it because they feel they got better results and it is an easy to administer powder rather than the sticky mess lactulose is. I believe Miralax is not available easily in England, so maybe it is the same in your area. It can be purchased on Amazon. Whichever way you go, don't use both.

Good luck.

rachelmfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It does sound neurological to me. I have a friend who got diagnosed with a neuropathy, and she said the litany of tests lasted 6 months, so you may want to do some research as to what kinds of test might be involved and whether or not it is feasible. Otherwise acupuncture has been known to remedy walking disorders.

Miralax does the same thing as lactulose. Most people who use Miralax prefer it because they feel they got better results and it is an easy to administer powder rather than the sticky mess lactulose is. I believe Miralax is not available easily in England, so maybe it is the same in your area. It can be purchased on Amazon. Whichever way you go, don't use both.

Good luck.
We will keep going with the acupuncture now  for as long as we can. Thanks for your advice on Miralax too, I will look this up and see if we can get it here in Britain :)