Help! Need input on traumatized kitten

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes JMarkitell, I'm dealing with a similar problem as Angels4 but I didn't say what you so aptly and obviously did. I should have. I think you're right that like with humans and early childhood trauma? It just will never go away. I have an example of this. There is a particular smell that conjures up no memories at all but I'm sure is related to a distressing situation from infancy. It was torture and I obviously will never recoverfrm it. Autumn will recover like I did from traumas that lasted til age 5 but she won't ever know abandonment again. My Annabel is working through things too and I gave Angels4 some advice but isn't it all narrowed down to love? Take the time to be invested and involved and love them out of it? Along with a few other things of course.

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, this is a Tincture of Time situation.

As Autumn becomes more and more adjusted to the routine of your household, she will gradually begin to relax and distance herself from many of the behaviours she learned from her previous household. That's not to say they will all disappear entirely, but she is very young and you have plenty of time to replace bad memories and experiences with many good ones. 

As you continue to work with her, she will become more and more secure and will relax. What is key is that you remain calm and confident. Animals can read your wave lengths and, if you are anxious, she will be anxious, too.

Just be cool, Mom.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you for rescuing her. i will never understand parents who let their kids abuse animals. they should be prosecuted for animal cruelty which is now a felony!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Id say you're getting some very kind and helpful advice from people and your feelings about Autumn are the most important. She knows she'll always be loved.