Help need for feral Mother and 5 kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can see where they shaved her side to do the operation lol. How do I get her to stop jumping on counters though? also, she keeps trying to go outside but she can`t and she seems a bit sad atm because of the kittens :( so everytime we open the door she tries to come out and she growls when we stop her but she is so lovely and she meows so much haha. Also, she just loves to be stroked and loves rubbing her face against objects and us. She is stubborn though because when she jumps on the counter and we take her down, she tries to go up again. Oh and she definetly makes her opinion known on what we do ( she meows if she likes what we are doing and growls if she doesn`t). I do hope she gets used to here though, she been relaxing a lot but she always loved to relax when she was outside. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may take her a bit to adjust to being inside full time.  She's used to another way of living and, like any cat, she hates changes.  Just work with her slowly and she'll make the adjustment.  Truthfully, it sounds like she's working on the adjustments OK.

About the counter - they have double sided tape that you can put on it that may prevent her from jumping up, although it didn't work with one of my cats.  A little more expensive option, which did work with our stubborn cat, is a small machine that goes on the counter.  It uses a motion sensor, so when the cat jumps up, the machine lets out a quick hiss.  Worked like a charm!

You can try hissing when she jumps up, though (certainly cheaper but you'll have to keep an eye out for her).  A very quick hiss will let her know she's gone beyond her boundaries.  A sharp "NO!" will reinforce the hiss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven`t updated but the kittens are gone!!! :D

Due to the door of the room the kittens were kept in being glass, Tyga found where they were and she just kept crying for them and wanting them to come so we pulled down the blinds and she would stand on her hind legs and look through he blinds. Also, we finally got a callback from the shelter but they said they were full so we were getting desperate. My mum ended up joining a pet rehoming group on Facebook and suprisingly we got interest. Turns out the Lady is a massive animal lover and is always taming dogs, cats and rescuing animals to keep. The hard part was catching the kittens and on Thursday we managed to catch 3 and because it was getting late, we went to her house and brought them to her. She had like 5 dogs, 7 cats and a birdcage and that was from what we could see and she explained how she rescued one of the cats from an abandoned apartment, and she had a blind dog... so we knew we found a perfect home for the kittens as she has experience in taming wild animals. The next day, we finally managed to catch the other two and we brought them over t the Lady. ( they were very annoying to catch lol). Tyga has still been a bit sad but she is so loving and caring and is really fitting in! 

However, I have one problem. You see, my dad just hates animals and whenever Tyga uses her litter tray, it stinks up the room really bad! We all want to keep her and we don`t want my dad to get rid of her so I just need advice on how to keep the smell out. The litter tray is a hooded one and we have to keep changing the bag pretty often. Also, we wont always be home to scoop out her poop when she has done it lol so I need some advice on how to keep the smell out. The litter is supposed to be odour- free and we have been putting this powder on which is supposed to keep out the smell but still nothing. 

Please help, the whole family loves the cat and I don`t want my dad to get rid of her :( x

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her poops may stink until she gets used to the new foods and her system settles in. Scooping as soon as possible will help. Sometimes adding baking soda to the litter helps tone down the smell. Fingers crossed dad has some patience and allows her time to settle in.