Help! Need an "affordable" fish/shellfish/oil free wet suggestions for shelter environment

gimmieshelter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings everyone!

I normally would do my own research, but our shelter is currently slammed too many tasks, too few volunteers! I'm hoping someone here as had to do this for themselves and while I did search for fish free in the archives, I admit I got distracted by so many referencing things like DIY cat food and cooking for their pets. It sounds romantic, but more for retirees with 1 or 2 pets, not an active shelter with a rolling population hovering around 400. It would be a full-time job! So if this info already exists and is up-to-date, please link me and accept my hurried apology.

Anyway, one of our recent litters arrived, and after a few meals one of the kittens started having huge puffy lips and swollen eyes. It looked exactly what anaphylaxis looks like in a human, only cuter. We rushed her to our staff vet who knew immediately what it was. She's fine now, but obviously her diet cannot contain fish, shellfish, fish oil, salmon meal, anything. Since they are from the same queen and litter, we are putting all of them on fish-free diet as a precaution.

In the short-term, we took up a collection from fellow volunteers who paid, out-of-pocket mind you, for a couple cases of Halo Spot's Stew Lamb. But kittens are voracious and this will only last a few days. As most of you know, this stuff is expensive for anyone, much less a shelter that depends on donations. $1.89/can?! Are you on something?! How about $0.29/can? (much of our food comes from stores with expired sell-by dates, factory seconds from food suppliers, donations from the public, etc. so believe me when I say retail-purchased Friskies is considered gourmet!) Obviously quality stuff like Halo is wonderful for mass-production food but completely unsustainable for us... we cannot afford such luxuries.

We found a semi-affordable fish free dry kibble, a Diamond Pet Foods marketed by Kirkland @ Costco, called "Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula" (making sure the dates/production codes were outside of the salmonella recall notice!) and they will definitely be eating that as adults unless we can find cheaper/better. Our owner insists that kittens be given both wet and dry food during the formative first year.

If you guys have any shelter affordable wet/dry solutions, commercially available in metro NYC area, this is greatly appreciated information!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you dismiss this out of hand - call or email Purina, explain the situation and see if they can do anything for you. 1-899-776-7526 weekdays 7 am-7pm Central time www.proplan.com

Purina Pro Plan adult chicken and rice costs about 75 cents for a 3 ounce can at my veterinarian. They do make a kitten version but I only have the adult on hand for my fussy, elderly, diabetic-controlled-with-diet old lady cat for when she won't eat Fancy Feast Classics with no carbohydrates added.

Contents: water sufficient for processing, chicken, wheat gluten, liver, meat by-products, rice, corn starch-modified, artificial and natural flavors, salt, soy protein concentrate, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, added color, taurine, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity) copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, manganese sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, vitamin D-3 supplement.

Hope I got all those teeny tiny words transcribed correctly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimmieshelter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure that "dismiss" thing is a reference to something here on TCS, like people saying Purina is this or that, but again, we are a shelter! :-) I already googled and yes your words indeed transcribed correctly, it seems the only vague is "meat by-products" but in every case so far, that has meant land mammal, so I think we are good, but I will follow up since it is an allergen situation.

The issue isn't Purina anything, but 0.75/3oz is expensive, I could get another of Purina's foods, FF, for less than that per 3oz can (0.69/ea)... we consider FF gourmet... someone texted me earlier about a Whole Foods (Whole Paws?) that is 0.99/5.5oz that seems fish free, and that too is expensive by our measure.

Starting to lose hope here. It might be just the way it is. I think the issue is, if you have a specific need, you must pay for it - welcome to capitalism. If you can eat literally anything, then yes, 10 5oz cans for $2.29 is possible, but never even glance at the ingredients panel when something is 0.22/can.

I will contact them and see if they can help directly, though. That part was a very good suggestion!

Thanks for replying Catapult! [emoji]128568[/emoji]

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can find FF in Wal-Mart at 54 to 57 cents / 3 ounce can. I understand this is expensive for your situation. Just wanted to explain that I was not feeding my old lady cat with health issues something with carbohydrates (Pro Plan) unless she's refusing to eat the FF (which I am smooshing in a Magic Bullet and sprinkling with shredded freeze dried chicken but hey, she's over 19 years old so yes, I'll jump through her hoops.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimmieshelter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understood . :-) I was just saying, that from our perspective, it gets crazy expensive over time. I hate phrases like "the greater good" and always tried to treat every animal as an individual, same as humans... but at a certain level, you simply cannot. They are numbers. They all need food and care. They eat this much, drink this much, urinate this much, defecate this much per day. They take up this much space, they generate this many units of energy as heat. Their lives are really unimportant (cept to them!) but having to feed one set expensive food, and dealing with the fact that while that one act saved 4 kittens for a year, it prevented 24 other cats from ever being rescued, that have to be euth'd for no reason other than being born... it's a **** decision. But deciding to control the food cost, so it's only 24 and not 240 cats, is no decision at all.

It would be one thing if this were finite, but it is not. It was going on long before I was born and will continue long after I die. No one will remember me or the cats homed or the cats euthanized or the food a bunch of allergic kittens did or did not eat. Same as the humans. :-)

Some may find that depressing. Others can't even grasp what it means.
Right now though, I just a source need cheap fish-free cat food by the end of the week.

PS: 19! Incredible. That is a hell of a good run. 18 is my record-holder kitty. (cancer, CRF, meds and subQ daily, could have kept going but there was no quality of life. I miss her.)