Help My Kittens Are Gone!

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help we have a mother cat that is breast feeding 2 kittens but they escaped about 2 days ago when the door got left open!, I’m so sad. We’ve been searching everywhere. They’re about 8 weeks old. What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so heartbroken

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried to follow their mother outside?
Yes, she calls them and sniffs as if she can smell a trace of them. No luck yet. We put food and water all around the exterior of our home. Hoping we have luck

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What if you went outside and just sat down for a while, they may be scared and picking up on your stress, and you just sitting quietly might give them the confidence to come back out.
That’s a good idea, thanks. I’m worried and to where they are. Do you think 8 week old kittens could go far from home in 2 days?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens have a bad sense of revire. So once lost they have difficult to find way back.

Lets hope they hide somewhere near. Or some friendly person took them in.

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: we took the mother cat with us and searched all the bushes and woods around of for a few hours. She occasionally would stop and call them by mewing. No luck so far. She is extremely full of milk and looks uncomfortable. Will she be ok?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have neighbors who may have taken the kittens in? Have you knocked on doors?

It takes a couple of weeks for milk to dry up. You can put warm damp compresses on her mammaries to help with swelling in the meantime.

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have neighbors who may have taken the kittens in? Have you knocked on doors?

It takes a couple of weeks for milk to dry up. You can put warm damp compresses on her mammaries to help with swelling in the meantime.
We live in a very rural area in Vermont. However, we have a few neighbors. Our closest ones are on vacation but when they get back I’ll be sure to ask to to lookout for them. I miss my kittens Thanks for the tips

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gosh! Is there a shelter that might have orphans, that she would hopefully accept?
Yes in fact some of her kittens had to go to the shelter and we kept 2. I want to get one or two of them back from the shelter for their mommy

FinnK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help we have a mother cat that is breast feeding 2 kittens but they escaped about 2 days ago when the door got left open!, I’m so sad. We’ve been searching everywhere. They’re about 8 weeks old. What should I do?
UPDATE: it was last Thursday they escaped. I’m devastated and have looked everywhere with their mommy, I’ve put food out for them, a trap, done lots. So far I’ve had no luck tho. I’m so sad but will continue the search. Does anyone know if it’s still possible that they’re around and alive? I need reassurance :( Thanks everyone for your tips and help, let me know what you think and if they are possibly still able to be found.