Help! My friends cat hates the new kitty

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a new kitten and got him from a home that wasn't suitable conditions for cats they only had a beer box to sleep in and were living around litter and horrible stuff. Long story short my neighbour rescued the other kittens that were left and rehomed them but kept one but she already has a cat who is still young around 2 years old but it's an outdoor cat and comes home for sleep and food. However the cat luna hates the new kitten & she feels she has to rehome the new addition due to hissing and stalking behaviour presented by the Older cat also the older cat isn't returning home as often since the new kitty has arrived and maybe feels pushed out. I think it would be awfully sad to rehome the kitten again due to the horrific conditions they came from she deserves this loving home. My question is how long does it take for cats to get used to new additions? Will the behaviour subside and what can she do to help? If worst comes to worst I could take the kitty but whether she would get on with my boy kitten from the same litter I'm unsure. Thanks in advance

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been? Is Luna spayed/neutered? How old is the kitten, very young or teenager? (under 6 months). it takes at least weeks for cats to get used to each other, Luna is upset over the new addition into what she sees as HER territory but will adjust. Cats must be introduced slowly, not just thrown together. Let them sleep on blankets and exchange them. Luna should see the kitten but not be able to reach her. a big dog kennel with a box to hide in would be good, they are cheap on Facebook. does Luna come inside, is that where she sees the kitten, or through a door? Kittens are very well accepted into a home, but it still takes a while. Hissing, growling, slapping is all normal behavior and should be expected. After all, Luna is the Queen of her domain. What she is doing is normal. Cats are 'hardwired' not to harm kittens. But they still can by accident if the kitten is very young. If your kittens have been apart two weeks or less, they should get together very easily if they were from the same family. Anything over that and introductions would have to be made again. cats forget each other rather quickly. There are many who have had this problem and it turned out well, my mama cat was very nasty to her babies when she weaned them at only 8 weeks, and they survived!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been? Is Luna spayed/neutered? How old is the kitten, very young or teenager? (under 6 months). it takes at least weeks for cats to get used to each other, Luna is upset over the new addition into what she sees as HER territory but will adjust. Cats must be introduced slowly, not just thrown together. Let them sleep on blankets and exchange them. Luna should see the kitten but not be able to reach her. a big dog kennel with a box to hide in would be good, they are cheap on Facebook. does Luna come inside, is that where she sees the kitten, or through a door? Kittens are very well accepted into a home, but it still takes a while. Hissing, growling, slapping is all normal behavior and should be expected. After all, Luna is the Queen of her domain. What she is doing is normal. Cats are 'hardwired' not to harm kittens. But they still can by accident if the kitten is very young. If your kittens have been apart two weeks or less, they should get together very easily if they were from the same family. Anything over that and introductions would have to be made again. cats forget each other rather quickly. There are many who have had this problem and it turned out well, my mama cat was very nasty to her babies when she weaned them at only 8 weeks, and they survived!
Luna comes in and sees the kitten and displays all them behaviours, luna is 1.5years old and the kitten is 12weeks old.. there were 3 kittens at first before the rest were rehomed so I think that may have been overwhelming. Luna loves to be outdoors more where as this kitten will be purely a house cat

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luna comes in and sees the kitten and displays all them behaviours, luna is 1.5years old and the kitten is 12weeks old.. there were 3 kittens at first before the rest were rehomed so I think that may have been overwhelming. Luna loves to be outdoors more where as this kitten will be purely a house cat
It has only been a week she has had the new additiona

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then all should be well in time. Luna is startled that there is a stranger in her house, but she will welcome the little one in time. It just takes a lot of time for everyone to get used to each other. Luna will enjoy having a family later on. Luna is young enough that she will play with the kitten too. Make sure Luna has high up places she can get to escape, so she doesn't feel threatened. You might tell them to get a kickeroo on amazon or a pet site, they are wonderful to distract an older cat from stalking if they are thrown towards them. Stuffed toys work well too, but kickeroos really get rid of excess energy. Get one for the kitten too! Try to feed them closer and closer together, they have good feelings while eating and the kitten won't try to play with her. there is one thing to always look for if the older cat seems to be too rough if the kitten approaches, then slaps, growls, and even may pin the kitten to the floor, the kitten screams and runs away, if the kitten returns in time and approaches the older cat again, everything is good and normal. The older cat is just teaching manners and limits. if the kitten starts avoiding the older cat and hides when she appears, then the kitten is really getting hurt. The kitten is at a good age for introductions, old enough to hold her own and not be as frail as a young kitten. Luna is going to seem mean at first, but that will change. A week is NOTHING in a cat;s world, they thrive on routine and everything that stays the same, and hate changes. but a few months will bring change in their world and everything will work out!

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Then all should be well in time. Luna is startled that there is a stranger in her house, but she will welcome the little one in time. It just takes a lot of time for everyone to get used to each other. Luna will enjoy having a family later on. Luna is young enough that she will play with the kitten too. Make sure Luna has high up places she can get to escape, so she doesn't feel threatened. You might tell them to get a kickeroo on amazon or a pet site, they are wonderful to distract an older cat from stalking if they are thrown towards them. Stuffed toys work well too, but kickeroos really get rid of excess energy. Get one for the kitten too! Try to feed them closer and closer together, they have good feelings while eating and the kitten won't try to play with her. there is one thing to always look for if the older cat seems to be too rough if the kitten approaches, then slaps, growls, and even may pin the kitten to the floor, the kitten screams and runs away, if the kitten returns in time and approaches the older cat again, everything is good and normal. The older cat is just teaching manners and limits. if the kitten starts avoiding the older cat and hides when she appears, then the kitten is really getting hurt. The kitten is at a good age for introductions, old enough to hold her own and not be as frail as a young kitten. Luna is going to seem mean at first, but that will change. A week is NOTHING in a cat;s world, they thrive on routine and everything that stays the same, and hate changes. but a few months will bring change in their world and everything will work out!
Thankyou so much I will let my friend know there is still hope 🙏