Help! My Dads cat is peeing on the kitchen floor after he cleans it.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posting this for my Dad who is looking for advice.   I've never had this problem with my cats so I can't think of anything to tell him.   His cat Julius pees on the tile floor by his litter box after my dad cleans the floor.  My dad says he does this once a day at least and has to clean it only to have the cat do it again.   Needless the say it's annoying and the cat is marking his territory but is there anyway he can try or to to persuade the cat to stop.   The cat is fixed and has no health issues that are known.  Would felaway help??.  The only time my cats have ever pees outside the litter box was when they were sick or too old to be able to control their bladder.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he use the litter box at all?  Sometimes they do #1 in one box and #2 in another.  He might consider getting another litter box?  Or it could be the litter, maybe he doesn't like it?  I know mine don't like the pine litter something about it hurting their feet.  They will only use clumping clay litter. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the tile absorbed some of the urine? If so, regular cleaners won't eliminate the smell and your dad should use an enzymatic cleaner (like Nok Out, Urine Gone, Anti Icky Poo) to work the smell out of the tile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure what he is usingI know he said he stopped using the stronger cleaners because that just seemed to make his cat pee more often outside his box.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he use the litter box at all?  Sometimes they do #1 in one box and #2 in another.  He might consider getting another litter box?  Or it could be the litter, maybe he doesn't like it?  I know mine don't like the pine litter something about it hurting their feet.  They will only use clumping clay litter. 

I think it's just standard litter not the clumping kind.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has the tile absorbed some of the urine? If so, regular cleaners won't eliminate the smell and your dad should use an enzymatic cleaner (like Nok Out, Urine Gone, Anti Icky Poo) to work the smell out of the tile.

I think he just wants the cat to stop peeing on the floor.   Any ideas folks.   I'm coming up blank.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  Or it could be the litter, maybe he doesn't like it?  I know mine don't like the pine litter something about it hurting their feet. 
Another warning is for scented litters. Plain clay, or clumping clay, NOT scented.

TS, you write your dad has ended with stronger.  He probably meant Chlorine or Ammonia-containing.

Good. Both "dangerous" with cats.

A little vinegar solution, some mild soap.   And try out some of these enzymatic cleaners.

Good luck!