Help! My Cats Don't Get Along Anymore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you're right.  But it brings up this question.  How do I tell when she's ready to move to the next stage?  It would be a heck of a lot easier if she could speak English and tell me she's ready.  ;-)  Given that my efforts to teach her English have been unsuccessful, what signs do I look for?  Or are there signs I can look for?  She seems perfectly happy and comfortable when she's in the bedroom with me, but clearly those aren't the right signs.  What should I keep my eye out for?

Also, what do I do to build up her confidence?  I assume it's feeding the cats on opposite sides of a closed door and scent swapping towels.  Or are there other things I should be doing to build her confidence?

----------------------------------------------

Well, this was interesting.  After the super left, Tigger went back out to the living room and sniffed around for a few minutes.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The quickest way to build confidence is interactive play. I posted a couple of links about the kind of play I'm talking about above.

Telling when she's ready to move on a stage is harder, but not impossible. The biggest clues are her reactions to the scent towels and feedings. When she's totally relaxed when presented with a fresh scent towel, and when she's able to eat totally relaxed with the others on the other side of the door - that's when I'd say she's ready to try the site swapping again.

Another approach to site swapping would be to get the others shut away like this morning, and then get Tigger engaged in a play session using a wand toy (such as Da Bird). Once she's really into it, use the toy to lead/encourage her out of her safe room. Hopefully, her engagement in the game will overcome her fear. This is a win/win, as anyplace a cat 'kills' and 'eats' its prey becomes part of its territory (be sure to have a meaty treat ready to finish the session). If this is repeated, she WILL get more comfortable in more of the house.

I think the real key is to let Tigger walk out of her safe room on her own paws, instead of carrying her. If she takes herself out of the room, then she's ready.

I hope that helps. Good luck :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After the super left, Tigger went back out there on her own.  She's been out there sniffing around almost 15 minutes now.

p.s.  Thank you for your replies and your advice.  I'm going to do what you suggest.

Last edited: