Help! My Cats Don't Get Along Anymore

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats.   The momma was a stray cat in my apartment complex that I took in when she was pregnant.  She gave birth to three babies.  I fell in love with them and kept all three kittens.

Momma is now 3 1/2 years old, and her kittens are now 2 1/2 years old.   They are all female.

Until recently, the four cats (all female and they have been fixed) lived together as peacefully as can be.  They would play together, chase each other around the apartment, groom each other, and lie curled up with each other at night.  I never saw any friction between them.  They didn't seem territorial.  They certainly never hissed or growled at each other.

My problems started a little over two weeks ago.   I woke up in the middle of the night, and Tigger (one of the kittens) had climbed halfway up a set of shelves.  As far as I remember, Momma and the other two kittens were on the floor hissing at Tigger.  And Tigger was hissing back at them from her spot of safety on the bookcase.  When I woke up, Tigger was still hiding up there and hissing at the other cats, and the other cats were still hissing at her.  I picked up Tigger and she didn't hiss or growl at me.

I went out for the day and when I got home, Tigger was hiding in a tiny spot in the bedroom closet.   She seemed terrified of the other cats.

I took Tigger to the vet that night to make sure nothing was physically wrong with her.   The vet diagnosed Tigger with Cystitis.  The vet gave me an antibiotic.  I gave her the full dose, and she seems healthy.  She has a healthy appetite and drinks water regularly.  Her stool and urine clumps in the litter box have been unremarkable.

The vet told me Tigger was hissing at the other cats because she was in pain and didn't want to be sociable, and that the other cats were hissing at Tigger because they could tell she was sick and they were shunning her.

The problem is that it's been over two weeks and I can't get the cats to acclimate with each other.  I have to keep Tigger locked in the bedroom with me.   She has her own litter box and feeding station in the bedroom.  The other three cats stay out in the living room.  They have three litter boxes and their own feeding station.

I bought two Feliway diffusers, one for the room the three cats are in and one for the bedroom where Tigger is.   They seem to have had no effect.

I put baby gates up between the bedroom and the living room in the hopes that seeing each other would cause them to acclimate to each other again.   Mostly Tigger hisses as the other cats if she sees them though the baby gates.

If I let one of the other cats into the bedroom, Tigger will usually hiss or growl at the other cat.   My sense is that Tigger is scared of the other cat.  Sometimes the other cat will hiss and growl back, and sometimes the other cat is silent.

Tigger has a spot with a cat bed on top of a stack of boxes.   That's where she likes to sleep and where she goes to get away from the other cat in the bedroom.  I have to watch the two cats to make sure they don't get too close to each other.  One time when I wasn't paying enough attention, the Momma cat tried to attack Tigger.  Another time, one of the other kittens/cats tried to attack Tigger.

I don't know what to do to get them to live in peace again.   Please help!

I don't know whether to keep them separated and try to slowly introduce them to one another again.   Or should I just let them interact and hiss and growl at each other until they get it out of their system.  My fear with that is the hissing and growling will turn into an actual fight, and it's three against one.  They all have claws, so they could do some damage if they were to actually fight,

I hope you have some helpful advice.

THANK YOU!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of things I forgot to mention.  The cats are all female and all were fixed a couple years ago.

I do feed stray cats on my back porch.  And at night a family of raccoons comes up and eats the leftover cat food (much to my dismay).  But the stray cats and raccoons have been there every day since I've had the Momma and the kittens.  They are not new.  And other than watching the stray cats and raccoons eat, none of my cats have ever seemed interested in them or displayed any aggressive behavior after seeing them.

The only stressor that set off this episode was Tigger's getting sick.  Other than that, there have been no changes in my apartment.  No new visitors.  Nothing that I can think of that might stress out the cats.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Steve and welcome to the site!

Yes, I think going through the whole reintroduction process is the way to go.  I know it's involved but it really is better than them constantly haranguing each other.  And it may not take very long at all.

If you need it, here's our really comprehensive article on it. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide I really wish you luck with it and hope you keep us posted on how they're going.

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice.  I had read most everything I could find on this site and on other sites about reintroducing cats to each other.  It's clearly going to take a while, but I've already gotten the process started, and I'm committed to going through the acclimation process step by step until I can get all the cats to live together again in peace.

Thank you!

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and I followed the advice and got one more litter box than the number of cats I have, even though I really didn't have room for two more litter boxes.

So, I got two new litter boxes and filled them with brand new litter (the same litter I use in the other litter boxes).

And, of course the cats won't use the new litter boxes.  They just keep using the original litter boxes.  The new litter boxes just sit there as pristine as they can be.

*** rolls his eyes (lovingly) at his cats ***

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try putting some of the clean used litter (you know -the stuff left after scooping but before topping up) into the new boxes. Maybe they just want their scents to be there to let them know the new boxes are ok.

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.  That's a good suggestion.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.

I bought two Feliway diffusers about 10 days ago, one for the room the three cats are in and one for the bedroom where Tigger is.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to have had any effect so far.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bladder inflammation (cystitis) is very painful and, as we all know, pain is very stressful and, unfortunately, a major contributor to cystitis.

You stated your vet gave antibiotics, but you didn't mention whether or not any meds were prescribed for pain and/or behavior. 

Mind you, I am not questioning your vet (I don't know what all s/he did or didn't do regarding diagnosis), but my 'nurse brain' went into overdrive here...sorry.

Were other conditions (UTI, crystals, and bladder stones) ruled out? Was a complete blood panel, urinalysis and abdominal x-ray and/or ultrasound done? 

If pain meds were prescribed, there are other things you need to be doing and watching for to prevent other issues. Pain meds (especially opiates) can cause the intestines to slow down and this could lead to constipation and possibly complete bowel obstructions and eventually megacolon.  (not trying to panic you, but just giving you a heads-up). 

Your cat needs increased fluids and a proper diet (more canned/wet food and less dry food - and/or the diet recommended by your vet for his condition).

You have modified the environment by separating all the cats, litter boxes, and feeding stations, and you tried Feliway, which can be good - IF you cat(s) responds to it. After 2 weeks, I would think it should have had some type of effect on him/them. At this point, since nothing else is working, you might want to ask your vet about a low-dose antidepressant to calm your cat and lower his stress. (an anti-anxiety med like Ativan or Xanax could inhibit his peristalsis - ask about an antidepressant).

Regarding reintroduction -- it's just been two weeks and it is obvious your cat is still presenting  some major stress (especially when being exposed to your other cats). Personally, I would hold off on trying to 'get them all to play nice again' until your kitty has had adequate time to adjust to his condition, which could take some time. He has been physically traumatized. 

I would continue to leave opportunity for them to be able to see, hear and smell each other, but I would limit any physical introduction for now. 

Cat's are smart! The behavior they are exhibiting is their natural instinct when one of them is sick. They can smell the chemical changes and sense there is something not right. They don't have the mental ability we humans have to understand what is going on; they just know it is going on and none of them like it.

Sure, we all want our cats to all get along, but depending on the circumstances, sometimes it's best to follow our cat's perspective on things and let them come to terms on their own in their own time.

The sick kitty is saying, "Leave me alone! I feel like **** and don't wanna be bothered!" and the other cats are saying, "Stay away from us! We don't want whatever it is you have!"

In closing, I suggest you keep a journal and track everyone's behavior - especially the cat that is sick. Note his fluid intake and output (how much and how often and is he straining or crying when peeing), activity level, and overall behavior. Also monitor the behavior of the other cats -- are they showing curiosity and spending more time checking on the whereabouts of the other other cat through the gate in the doorway? Are they becoming more relaxed near the gate? Or is the hissing and growling continuing? 

Talk with your vet again and get his feedback. And I always believe that if you aren't getting satisfactory answers, never feel guilty about seeking a second opinion!

I wish you and your cats the best!

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fyllis, thank you for taking the time to write all of that.  It was very helpful and very informative.

The medicine the vet gave me was an antibiotic.  I threw away the bottle after we finished it, so I can't tell you what antibiotic it was.  If it's relevant, I'll call the vet and get the name of it.

I'd like to take Tigger back to the vet for a follow up, but I'm on disability, and I have to be very careful about large expenditures.  But I've been saving up my pennies this month, and hopefully I'll be able to take Tigger back to the vet and have her rechecked in a week or two.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Fyllis, thank you for taking the time to write all of that.  It was very helpful and very informative.

The medicine the vet gave me was an antibiotic.  I threw away the bottle after we finished it, so I can't tell you what antibiotic it was.  If it's relevant, I'll call the vet and get the name of it.

I'd like to take Tigger back to the vet for a follow up, but I'm on disability, and I have to be very careful about large expenditures.  But I've been saving up my pennies this month, and hopefully I'll be able to take Tigger back to the vet and have her rechecked in a week or two.
Steve, How is Tigger doing now? Is she eating, drinking, playing, pooping and peeing OK? Is there any improvement regarding the interaction between her and the other cats? 

I understand how vet visits can become expensive... and always at a time when we least expect. Fortunately, there are a few resources you can check out to see if you qualify for assistance. 

I hope this helps.

Keep us posted on how Tigger is doing or if you have any other questions.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-you-cant-afford-a-veterinarian

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oooh- Thank you for pointing out the article about when you can't afford a veterinarian.  It looks very helpful.

Tigger seems absolutely fine.  Then again, she seemed fine on the day I took her to the vet and got the cystitis diagnosis.  I wouldn't have known anything was wrong if she and the other cats weren't hissing and growling at each other.

She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping in amounts and times consistent with the other cats and cats I've had previously.  She's never been a very playful cat (although she did used to play with the other cats, and I think she misses that.  She seems lonely.) She's very loving and cuddly with me, which I'm enjoying.

There's no improvement with the other cats.  I'm going through the reintroduction step-by-step.  We're in the stage where they're eating on opposite sides of a closed door.  I put out towels for them to sleep on.  I'm going to switch towels among the cats in a few days.

If I have some extra money at the end of the month, I'm going to take Tigger to the vet for a follow up to make sure she is healthy.

p.s.  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  There's this thing called "football" and they play both Saturdays and Sundays, and it tends to distract me.  ;-)

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you say you were distracted by Football?  Do you know what it's like trying to watch a game at MY house? Uhmmmmm... can we say CAT FIGHT!  View media item 301636

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I am patiently working my way through the reintroduction process.

Tigger is still back in the bedroom with me, and the other three cats are in the living room.  I'm at the point where I feed them on opposite sides of a closed door and they're sleeping on towels which I will move to the other room soon.  I think this weekend I'm going to start switching rooms for several hours a day.

However, Tigger still hisses at the other cats when the senses them on the other side of the door or when one of the other cats sticks her paw under the door.  I take this as a sign that they're not yet ready to see each other on opposite sides of a baby gate.

But I have a basic question about how this works.  As I understand it, this introduction process works well when introducing new cats to each other because it lets them get used to each other's smells, which presumably leads to them being comfortable together when they finally meet.

However, Tigger and the other cats already know each other.  They know each other's smells.  They lived together in peace for 2 1/2 years.  I don't think there's anything more that can be done to introduce them to each other.

The hang up to getting them all in one room together is that Tigger is scared of the other cats.  She's afraid the other cats are going to attack her.  In a sense, her familiarity with the other cats and their smells is a disadvantage because she associates them with danger.

I don't know how to get over that last point.  How do I get Tigger to stop being afraid of the other cats?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason reintroductions work is because you're effectively wiping the slate clean and starting again. It sounds like a case of redirected aggression was the trigger for all of this. Hopefully this article will explain it [article="32390"][/article]

In terms of helping Tigger overcome her fear of the others, calming measures may be the answer. Spirit Essences can be really helpful in these kinds of situations. I've had a lot of success using flower essences with animals, so its definitely worth considering, imo. Composure could be helpful too.

The other thing you can do is give Tigger plenty of interactive playtime. Its a fantastic stress buster, and is also one of the quickest ways to boost self confidence and confidence in the territory. Hopefully, if Tigger can stop acting so scared, she will be readily accepted by and accepting of the others again.

Lastly, her smell will have changed when she had the UTI. You may find it helps to use one scent cloth on all of them, so you're making them smell of each other. Adding a little vanilla extract takes it one step further - they'll then all smell the same, and integration should be easier (this is also a good trick if one of them has a veterinary trip - vet smells are scary, and that in itself can tip the balance when the cat comes back home). I wouldn't try rubbing Tigger down with the other's scents until she's feeling a little more relaxed though - the last thing you want to do is make her more stressed.

[article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

steve campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to let the super into my apartment today to work on my air conditioner.  To make sure the cats stayed in the apartment while he was going in and out, I put the three cats from the living room in the bathroom.

I took this chance to carry Tigger out to the living room so she could get some exposure to the smells of the other cats.

As I carried her into the living room, Tigger hissed, presumably because she believed the other cats were in the living room.  I put her down on the floor and she sniffed around for a minute or two and then ran back to the bedroom as fast as she could.

So, how should I view this?  Progress?  Setback?  Or, no importance at all?

Is this typical when you're swapping rooms?

fwiw, this was a spur of the moment thing.  When I start doing room swaps in earnest, I'll put the three cats in the bedroom and Tigger in the living room and shut the door between them so Tigger can't run back to the bedroom.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Tigger maybe wasn't quite ready for the 'challenge' you gave her. It's important to let her tell you when she's ready to move on to the next stage. Her reaction today sounds very similar to my girl's early reactions when she was first exploring outside her safe room. Stick to scent swapping for now, and work on building up Tigger's confidence. Stay patient - you'll get there in the end.