Help my cats are no longer BFF"s

mrichman333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have to cats that are just about 2 years old that I adopted from the SPCA when they were 4 and 7 months old. They became the best of friends ... playing, sleeping and grooming each other. About two weeks ago the girl cat, Missy got a little sick and was growling and hissing at the boy cat Tig. I took Missy to the Vet and she was put on antibiotics. The Vet said she had a lot of gas, diarrhea and a slight fever. After two days she was eating again and seemed to be ok physically, but she still wanted nothing to do with the Tig,, she would run from him and she is still growling and hissing at him. I took her back to the Vet and he said she was fine and gave me some anxiety drug to give her. She's been on it for 5 days. I also give her some calming treats I got from the pet store. She still growls and hisses at Tig. I don't think the meds are helping, she seems more agresive, I think I;ll stop giving them to her.

It breaks my heart that they are no longer BFF"S. Tig seems sad and confused.

What can I do to help Missy get over what ever problem she has with Tig and be his friend again?

Please help us.

kaoticharmony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give them a little time. She might not feel 100% yet. How long have you had them?

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a second kitten when my resident cat was nine years old.  They got along wonderfully until the kitten was about 1 1/2 years old.  I tried separating them after fights a couple of times, then re-introducing (once separated for about six months due to continued fighting).  Eventually we gave up, and keep the older cat separate.  The younger kitty has accepted others, but the older one will not accept other kitties.  I would keep trying, maybe separate the two for a bit and try to re-introduce, but keep in mind that some cats (like people) just won't get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrichman333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had the about 1 1/2 years.

They were inseprarateable till about two weeks ago.