Help, my cat turned on me, ):

tisjaeso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like a complete failure right now. :shame:

I am a first day mommy to a Siamese kitten that I adopted from the shelter. Throughout the day, I made sure to kitty proof my room as well as plan the introduction of the kitten to my two older cats. The two older cats, Olivia and Peaches, are 2 years and 1 year respectively. I've dealt with two previous kitten-cat introductions and both went fairly well. However, I guess third times a charm...or not.

Olivia and Peaches' temperaments are night and day, with Olivia being strictly independent and Peaches being a happy go-lucky/life is one big party cat. So, my boyfriend and I predicted which cat would get along better with it and boy, were we wrong.

After introducing them first on opposite sides of a closed door and then face to face (with about 8-10 feet between them), Peaches (the sweetest/laziest cat in the world) gets all freaked out. She growled, hissed, and scared me....BECAUSE never have I ever once in our lives together have I heard her hiss and see her that bothered. She was BOTHERED. Anywho, I felt that introductions were enough for the day and have now been spending time with the kitten.

The real problem is that when I went out to hold and pet Peaches, she freaks out at me...hisses and growls at me. I felt like she turned on me and now HATES me. But the weird thing is, she is still the same cat to my boyfriend, I don't know what happened.

I understand she's stressed, but why is she directing her stress at me? What did I do wrong?

Please, if any of you have been through a similar situation, any help will be appreciated. :sunk::help::sigh:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is, all the things you described so far is normal. Before doing anything else, take a look at this method of introduction that has stood the test of time:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Even the sweetest cat can hiss at another cat - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, careful and proper introduction will make it go smoothly. Each introduction is different, so even if you have done it before, it may not go as smoothly as it did previously. She may be hissing at you because you smell of the new kitten (since you say you pet her after playing with the kitten).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tisjaeso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link!

I'm not so much worried about the cat hissing at the kitten because I do understand that is normal, it's just the fact that she's hissing at me. However (quick update), she just let me pet her though I'm a little reluctant to pick her up and hold her. I didn't push anything on her and approached her calmly. I hope her hissing and growling right at my face will cease as soon as everything and everyone gets acquainted. :rbheart:

I will keep with the updates.

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female had a change in personality after me bringing home the new kitten. Luckily he has never turned on me but let's me know she's not happy if I hold her when the kitten is near (vocally). She is getting better though an I make sure that I spend time with her when I know the kitten is out of the way.
Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she redirected her anger at the new kitten onto you, and you DO smell like the newcomer! It will just take time and every thing will be fine, more like weeks or even months before everyone is happy again. My cats redirect their anger onto each other if something scares them outside, and WILL scratch me too if I'm not careful. They are acting like normal animals, your cat isn't mad at you, she'll come around when she gets used to the new smells and the new cat.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tisjaeso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!

Well, I pet Peaches today and held her with no problems. That was downstairs though. Upstairs (where the kitten is) is another story. She's more alert and suspicious so I know not to get all up in her space. She lets me pet her, but I'm still hesitant to pick her up.

Bright side is that Olivia and the kitten are being civil. :clap:

Will keep with updates!