Help! my cat is so fearful, and my husband and I fight a lot about it.

hallie6400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
         Hello. My name is Hallie, and My cat's name is Marilyn. I apologize for such a long post, but I am really needing some advice. My husband is fed up with our cat.  She is very sweet and affectionate towards me, but just me. He isn't willing to spend ANY money on her to let me take her to get any tests run to rule anything out, or get a diffuser, or get advice from a professional. We fight about her probably 2 to 4 times per week. He wants her gone, but I keep saying we are never getting rid of her, so why not try to help her, but he won't listen. I want to install cat shelves, but he absolutely won't hear of that. 

We got Marilyn when she was 6 weeks old from an animal shelter. She was very affectionate and friendly to both my husband and I when we got her. They forced her to be spayed later that week, so at about 6 weeks old. she had a wonderful kitten hood, then when she got to maybe 8 months old, she started being very fearful towards both my husband and myself. She even scratched me in the face! About 6 months later, I managed to gain her trust, and now I am the only one she trusts.   She loves to hide anywhere she can. She used to hide under the bed, so we got a new bed she can't hide under, so now she hides in the closet. If I lock her out of her bedroom suite she will find somewhere else to hide. As long as the house is quiet, she will come into the living room and relax a bit, especially if my husband is not home. She will let me carry her around (as long as it's in her comfort zone area), but as soon as we get to the living room, she panics and needs to run away and hide. We can trim her nails, but only if my husband wears practically bite proof gloves. We have tried lots of techniques with trimming her nails (I was a vet assistant for 2 years), but scruffing makes it worse for her. 

My husband wants to be her friend, but every time he goes up to her, she growls, and runs away.  Sometimes he is able to pet her if he crouches and it is in her closet, but practically the whole time she is vigorously purring and growling, but rubbing up against his hand at the same time. 

She is also fearful of our other 2 cats. One is about a year older, and is a Maine Coon (about 15lbs), Marilyn weighs about 8 or 9 lbs (slightly overweight from constant hiding). He and she were thick as thieves, but around the same time she had the same problem with the other cat too (at that time the only other one). In her defense he liked to hold her down on her back and listen to her scream. Now they will eat beside each other, but he is always trying to play with her and she screams so loudly whenever he gets that playful look in his eye, it wakes our 9 month old baby. She has no problem with the baby, other than she doesn't want to be touched by her, but Marilyn just moves when she wants. Our new kitten (7 months) loves her, and goes into the closet to lay with her sometimes, but most of the time she hisses at him too. We baby sat a female cat a few times for about 2 weeks,and Marilyn would play with her. 

She eats, drinks, and uses the litter box with no problems. Since the one time she scratched me, she has never shown any sign of aggression toward anyone. Even my husband. She is just so fearful.  If i take her into a room with the door closed, just she and I, she can hardly play, because she is watching the door for other cats. She used to be a vigorous player, now not as much.
Vincent and Marilyn ( Marilyn about 4 or 5 months old) they were best friends. I wish it were still like this!

Thank you to anyone who read this. I would love to have less tension in the house. I feel like I am her only advocate and have to try everything possible. Thanks again!

Hallie

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your husband angry because she doesn't trust him and only you?

Does the two other cats give him love?

Does he spend money on the other two cats?

What actions did you take to gain her trust? Did your husband replicate on what you did?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's simple, Marilyn grew up. Lovable kittens almost always change as they get older and their personality develops. Marilyn senses your husband doesn't care for her and is very much afraid of him. Some cats (I've had more then one) have a low stimulation threshold, more then two strokes, or if they are not left alone they will retaliate and scratch or try to get away. Your other cat holding her down is very aggressive and is dominating, so now she is fearful of him too, and needs a place to get away from him, my Chrissy used to sleep on top of the fridge. I would definitely stop that from happening. I'm afraid she is so very much in fear for her life, imagined or not, and the most you can do is to be gentle, spend some quiet time with her, and definitely give her a place she can call her own and get up high on to get away. As the others get older and settle down, she most likely will too. As for putting her through claw trimming, why? I have owned countless cats in my 50 plus years of loving and owning them, and have NEVER trimmed their claws, and have NEVER had a problem. I provide them with a cheap corrugated cardboard scratcher form Walmart, and they leave my furniture alone. The same with baths, unless there was a diarrhea incident, no baths were given, cats are self cleaning! Once again, she is normal, she just has developed fear in her life. Your husband has to at least try to find pity with her and be gentle. If he dislikes her, and appears to be abusive in her way of thinking, remember, mental or verbal abuse hurts just as badly as physical. He would be helpful just to totally ignore her if he can't be gentle and understanding. In the meantime, try to accept her for who she is, and try to calm her fears by showing her love, affection, and a quiet way of life. I'll pray for you all, please keep us posted.

royblazer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she have a space to call her own? Any cat trees that she can get high up on? I noticed you said that she has a closet she hides in that you mentioned multiple times. Maybe she needs more space to call her own in other parts of your house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hallie6400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
       Hey guys! Thank you all so much for responding. We don't have cat trees, but we have a couple of scratching posts, and a bed on top of a high dresser in our bedroom next to her closet, that is easily accessible by them. We trim her nails because she lays down and stretches on the carpet, when she panics and is on the furniture she scratches them, and they get weirdly long. I know that sounds weird, I haven't encountered this before, but her nails seem longer than other cats, almost like they won't retract all the way. We don't do it very often though. We never bathe them (unless like you said some sort of extenuating circumstance). 

My husband, I believe has his feelings hurt because of her fear of him. He keeps saying "she doesn't like me", and I keep saying it's not that, she is just afraid of you.  Every time he sees her he says something like, hey stupid, or some other mean comment, and every time, I get super mad at him, especially since this has been happening for a couple of years, and he always says, "she doesn't know what I'm saying", but I think they understand more than some people give them credit for. 

I think this is made worse in my husband's mind, because Vincent is the best cat ever! (I know I am biased :)) He can sit, and walk on a leash, and isn't afraid of much. He is very social and loves my husband, so he is always comparing Marilyn to him.  My Kitten (7 months) is acting fearful of my husband a little now too, which he contributes to her freaking out around him. I keep telling him to do the feeding when he is home (we keep the kitten food put up, but give it to him whenever he wants) and hold him whenever he sees him, that's what I do, and he sleeps next to me most nights. 

To gain her trust, I just didn't give up. I observed what things she didn't like and stopped doing them. She went through a phase where she was over stimulated when you scratched her at all, that doesn't bother her now, she even likes it. She head buts my head, and even lets me kiss her head.  Every once in a while it will be too much for her with me, and she will growl or run away, but I just back off immediately. I tell my husband exactly what I think he should do to become friends with her, and he will try for like 5 or 10 minutes, but not doing everything I say, for instance, play with her with a string toy, and talk to her but don't touch her. He will play with her, then the first chance he gets he will try to pet her and she will run away. He either doesn't care, or understand what she is feeling. He will buy them all gifts, and offer treats to her when we give the others treats, but the treats have to be tossed to her.  My husband really is a big softy, but he is also an type A, obstinate person. Vincent loves to lay with my husband, and the kitten loves to be held on his back by him.  

The "aggressive" cat (only a little mean to Marilyn) cleans her sometimes still.  They will sit right next to each other and look out the back door. 

July 2015 (Excuse the mess, we were replacing the flooring)

I'm sorry this is all over the place. I was trying to answer all of the questions. Thank you all again! Any advice or thoughts or ideas are appreciated. 

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To Hallie,

I went through a similar experience as you did. My first cat was very chill, he easily adjusted within a week. He let you touch his belly, pick him up, carry him like a baby. He comes when called (most of the time), likes car rides, and likes to play fetch. And he didn't complained much.

My second cat, was sweet and kind but fearful. You had to earn her trust. She initially hid underneath the bed, during and after the intro with both cats.

Because of my first experience with the first cat, I thought the second cat would be the same and adjust right away. Before coming to this site or any information about cats, my selfishness/emotions got to me and wanted to return her. Just like you, I didn't give up and looked online to see what I'm doing wrong. And as I learned more about cats, I tried different things like; playtime, treats for good behavior or don't expect cats to be like dogs.

Since my second cat was weaned too early, I had to teach her behaviors a mother cat or siblings would teach. During this whole process, it was stressful.There were someday's I'd rather take the other route and spray her with water for bad behavior. (You know, when you're frustrated, humans tend to do irrational things.)        But I just kept telling myself to not loose it, cats don't learn from punishment and they need lots of time.

Anyways, she turned out great, confident and loving cat. She's much more affectionate than my first (boy) cat. She's the one that comes for pets, sits on my lap, sleeps next to me, etc. For the boy cat, I have to go to him for affection, which he doesn't mind.

As through what your husband is going through, my niece and nephews are going through the same thing. They hate my girl cat and love the boy cat. They get frustrated a lot when they interact with her, cuz they expect her to be like the other cat. I told them exactly how to do it, to earn her trust. Lots of patience, gently petting (not too rough), feed her, time, etc... 

But of course they're kids and very stubborn, so they complain to me on why she runs away. As time passes, they are gradually learning to more patient with her.

Last edited: